• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive things that just do not make sense.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
Well you'll freak out even more when you find out i own a 600 dollar pair of jeans. (Got it on sale of course)
If you wear those every day for more than 2 years that comes out at less than a dollar a wear. I say that makes them one of the cheapest garments you're likely to own. A $50 shirt worn just once a week that wears out in a year comes out as more expensive. A $4000 leather jacket lasts a lifetime, and with inflation that makes it practically free by the end. I can justify every purchase I make. And anyway, as my great grand mother used to say "We're not rich enough to keep buying cheap things."

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
If you wear those every day for more than 2 years that comes out at less than a dollar a wear. I say that makes them one of the cheapest garments you're likely to own. A $50 shirt worn just once a week that wears out in a year comes out as more expensive. A $4000 leather jacket lasts a lifetime, and with inflation that makes it practically free by the end. I can justify every purchase I make. And anyway, as my great grand mother used to say "We're not rich enough to keep buying cheap things."
The only way you can justify such ridiculous purchases is by using the most extreme, unrealistic scenarios. He isn't going to wear the same pair of jeans everyday for 2 years. Even if he did, you don't have a clue how long his $600 jeans would last. I have shirts cheaper than $50 from high school that I wore the **** out of and they're still in great condition, I kept them for keeps sake. The "quality" crutch on this forum used to justify outrageous expenditures for certain items is becoming nauseating. I have some expensive items too but I don't have some fantasy world in my head where every luxury item is of higher quality for every additional dollar you spend. It's almost as if some people realize they bought the item for another reason, but try to convince themselves it was really a quality driven purchase, when it really wasn't. "I spent $1400 on this single pot coffee maker, you figure if I drink 17 cups a day for 30 years I'll come out on top. If I had bought a cheap $60 maker I'd probably have to replace it every couple of weeks so I'm coming out ahead".

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
The only way you can justify such ridiculous purchases is by using the most extreme, unrealistic scenarios. He isn't going to wear the same pair of jeans everyday for 2 years. Even if he did, you don't have a clue how long his $600 jeans would last.

The "quality" crutch on this forum used to justify outrageous expenditures for certain items is becoming nauseating.

Most luxury goods are Veblen goods. I remember when Guess sold jeans for $130 a pair and then decided to lower the prices to get more middle end consumers. They didn't realize that they were selling a Veblen good. All of a sudden, nobody bought Guess jeans because if you lowered the price, you also lowered the status symbol that were the reason people bought it in the first place.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've gone from cashmere socks just being something you get for Christmas to a near-daily essential. My feet are sensitive to touch and any irregularities around them - and they also get cold very easily. Cashmere socks pulled me out of the Platonic Cave and into what socks are all about.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
The "quality" crutch on this forum used to justify outrageous expenditures for certain items is becoming nauseating.

I agree with you. Things should be as cheap as possible...the cheaper, the better.

Quality and aesthetics are completely overrated.

In fact, I refuse to pay more than $1 for anything. I don't care what it is...shoes, paintings, cars, and yachts.

thumbs-up.gif

- B

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Wow. That's a beauty. I tried to pick up an umbrella in Naples directly from Talarico, but they seemed reluctant to take any invidivual orders.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Talarico umbrellas I got to handle in Naples felt significantly sturdier than the Briggs ones I've seen. They use a little wooden work table that's over 100 years old and is obviously falling apart. But I've given up on communicating with them, so it will have to be Briggs.

BTW, how are you liking the navy blue canopy? I prefer navy blue over black, but I like to wear blue outerwear, so I figure a blue umbrella will be too much.

That sucks. I was hoping I could order one through their website.

laphroaig

Reaction score
It's almost as if some people realize they bought the item for another reason, but try to convince themselves it was really a quality driven purchase, when it really wasn't.
Maybe I should have said that I can justify anything to myself. Well almost. A $2000 shirt is beyond even my delusional skills.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
I don't try to justify having nice things to anyone. Simply put....I love nice stuff and I will continue to buy lots of it. The End
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics