1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Expensive Suits - Can anyone tell

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by recentgrad, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Vitals

Vitals Active Member

No, he is actually a very likeable guy and he loves fashion more than anyone I know. He can check the label in a way that it's actually a compliment because he genuinely appreciates the garment and wants to know more about it. In fact he is also generous and has given me some beautiful, high quality new ties, just because he thought they fit my style and would look good on me, and he was right.

2. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Which further reinforces my point.

3. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior Member

The wearer knows.

Think of it like wearing a sock with a hole in it. You are the only one that knows. But you know.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

4. recentgrad

recentgrad Member

What about it would women notice: the cut/design, the fabric quality, construction, or all of the above?

5. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

There are discerning people who will notice and appreciate a quality suit by the look of the fabric and the cut. It is a minority of the population.

6. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

That happens all the time with nice suits it gets tedious after a while.

7. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

It would strike me as decidedly off-putting to have men stop me on the street and comment on my clothes, but then neither do I get the appeal of Pokémon Go...

You ever wear a pair of pants and a sport coat, of obviously dissimilar colors mind you, and have someone compliment you on your "suit?" Happened to me on a date, not long ago. I didn't correct her, because doing that to your date is what I believe Wm. Shakespeare referred to as "a real dick move." But it bugged me.

8. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior Member

Lol

About 20 years ago I took a girl to my favourite Japanese restaurant. She turned her nose up at the sushi. And laughed at some of the other things.

Then she made me leave and take her to McDonalds.

Ignorant moron that I had to suffer just to try and get some .....

I still shudder when I think back at it.

The worst thing was that I came up empty anyway. I would have been better off telling her to get out of the restaurant so I could enjoy my meal.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

9. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior Member

I'd certainly disagree. Like many things in life more expensive doesnt automatically mean "better" as price isnt driven purely by quality but also by rarity, brand etc. In a test done by American Association of Wine Economists with wines from $2 to $150 with 500 tasters there was almost no correlation between price and score given. Some argue that wine is too complex for the average person to properly appreciate without extensive training - an idea I personally dont want to agree with.

I fully agree with others here, once you get past the basics of a reasonable material and construction then fit is much more important and recognisable by others than pricetag. There was an article just last week basically on the same in the press here looking at aspiring executives in financial services, law, consultancy etc.

Never had someone look inside my jacket, other than to try to steal my wallet, but have had many other guys who are less than ideal shape ask where I get my suits from as they fit so well whereas they struggle to get anywhere close even when buying £2,000 suits and paying for alterations.

10. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Distinguished Member

I'm surprised at all the no answers. Just my opinion and I'm certainly not an expert

1) I think high quality fabrics stand out (Example look at the ad for Huntsman that pops on the side all the time, those pop)
    2) I guess it comes down to fit but some cuts are pretty distinctive and some suits drape a lot better and really if you are spending 2500, you should get a product that fits
    3) Buttons can be a huge giveaway
    4) Probably the biggest one is shoes. Take a look at your downtown core and see how many people are wearing square toe rubber clunkers
    5) Higher quality suits are constructed better and thus generally age more gracefully.
    6) and if you do get a chance to feel, you should be able to tell.

I think through pictures it would be tougher than in person

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

11. David Reeves

Thats shocking. I wouldn't even do that for Cara Delevingne!

12. David Reeves

I would say as someone who runs a business that manufactures clothes, that "fit" does in fact costs and that cost is ultimately reflected in the garment you sell.

Fit costs real treasure, skilled labor and the time and QC to fundamentally put garments together correctly. This is actually 80% of fit, thats why if you put on a Tom Ford suit or a Brioni or a canali even you will see that it seems to fit better than a lot of suits, this is because usually the sleeve is put in correctly and the garment is made (or tailored) well.

Patten making or cutting is essential to fit whether doing bespoke or off the rack and the best cutters are expensive to work with, plus this is often a trial and error process to achieve the desired fit so this takes time.

From an alterations point of view, high end alterations to achieve a good fit are always rather expensive for everybody.

Finally if you are doing bespoke or MTM and if your tailor or firm is running the business like a business then they are costing out client facing time or fittings in their model, lets say you have 0 fittings? Well that doesn't cost but what if you have 2 fittings thats 2 hours booked in as face time with a client, now lets say you do 5 fittings thats 5 hours of time that has to be accounted for and it doesn't take long for that face time to add up and fill a day.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

13. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Distinguished Member

Hey, she was a cheap date. All she wanted you to "invest" in wooing her was $5 for a Happy Meal.

Would you feel better had she insisted you take her to The French Laundry, so you could have struck out after having dropped $800 on dinner for two?

More to the point, did she comment favorably on your suit?

14. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior Member

On the first day you buy it and it's new -No
    After a years' good wear -Yes.

A nice handmade suit tends to look better with age and a less well-made suit tends to do the opposite.

15. Jim Chu

Jim Chu Senior Member

People like that use, in an abusive way, the institutional contract of civility to protect their poor behavior. Unfortunately, your employer will see YOU as the bad guy and fire you, not to mention what the local prosecutor would do. The real bad guy knows that and that's why he does things that that he would have never attempted even 500 years ago. But I feel the same way you do.