1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Expensive pocket squares

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BostonRussell, Nov 15, 2008.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

. . .
    One minor point: the only Pucci I've seen have had machine rolled edges.

- B

You didn't get the better of that trade. I assume someone enjoyed finding it at a goodwill shop.

2. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

You're asking at the wrong time of the day, I'm afraid. My horrible photo skills go much further when it's daylight out. Here's a snap I just took, but I couldn't get the whole thing in the pic without the text going blurry. You'll get the idea. [​IMG] At the bottom, it's dated Dec. 11, 1936. I'm presuming the square's from the period.
    I should get my white rabbit printed onto a linen square. That is very cool, I actually do wonder what the story is behind the making of this square?

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

You didn't get the better of that trade. I assume someone enjoyed finding it at a goodwill shop.

I'm too sentimental for that to ever occur.

It is perfect in another way.

- B

4. Sprezzatura2010

Sprezzatura2010 Senior member

Men seem most often to pick up colors in their ties with their squares. That certainly seems to be the current trend.

Current trends be damned, I think relating the square to the tie is a horrible idea.

Quality over quantity:

[​IMG]

That's what I'm aiming for, at least.

Those Charvet solid squares (I have two, one in a silvery grey and one in black) are probably the thinnest squares I've seen. They feel like silken tissue paper. Amazingly, they do not seem to be any more susceptible to sliding than thicker squares, such as Charvet's printed ones.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I enjoy wearing classic pockets squares but sometimes I like to mix it up a bit and wear an unusual PS like this one. It is always fun.

[​IMG]

It's by Paul Smith. I picked it up in Italy a few years ago.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting, Kent. That gingham square that I recently got from you had the nicest finishing so far.

One minor point: the only Pucci I've seen have had machine rolled edges.

- B

I've found that machine rolled edges, if well done, don't bother me. It is hard enough to find a nice pattern, and I would much prefer to wear a beautiful silk with a machined edge than an ugly silk nicely hand rolled.

7. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've found that machine rolled edges, if well done, don't bother me. It is hard enough to find a nice pattern, and I would much prefer to wear a beautiful silk with a machined edge than an ugly silk nicely hand rolled.

Especially since, the way I wear silk squares, the edges don't show at all anyway.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

I think that picking beautiful before ugly is a good way to go.

- B

9. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

^ Ha. Love it PSG.

10. GusW

Someone made a comment earlier that they didn't like the bold Hermes patterns. They have a number of patterns that I think work very well for a PS. One is a square covered in small vintage style nautical and national flags. You can tweak your square just so and have any combination of your favorite flags showing from the major European countries. A nice touch when meeting a EU guest.

Another is a lot of colored pencils in a random criss cross pattern. Any loose puff gives a nice accent of color.

Certain patterns need a little work to show them at their best. Doc's PS is very cool, but I doubt it would make that impact without a bit of "styling". I have a number that need to be shown in a certain way to work. I'm happy to make the effort if I'm happy with the final result.

11. binge

binge Senior member

12. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I always thought Lucky Strike's escape map-turned-square was pretty sweet...
    I agree they are fascinating. Metro maps for big cities are also a great idea. Picture yourself walking around Paris and every now and then opening your "pochette" to see where you are.

13. GusW

Picture yourself walking around Paris and every now and then opening your "pochette" to see where you are.

Of course the "Official Style Forum" version would be a map showing the best men's clothing and shoe shops [​IMG]

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Of course the "Official Style Forum" version would be a map showing the best men's clothing and shoe shops [​IMG]
    How about a list of every possible variation for black tie?

15. Sam Hober

Sam Hober Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that we would have to have cartoons for each shop. Or another one with cartoons of the some of the regular posters.

16. shyzashi

shyzashi Member

Someone made a comment earlier that they didn't like the bold Hermes patterns. They have a number of patterns that I think work very well for a PS. One is a square covered in small vintage style nautical and national flags. You can tweak your square just so and have any combination of your favorite flags showing from the major European countries. A nice touch when meeting a EU guest.

Another is a lot of colored pencils in a random criss cross pattern. Any loose puff gives a nice accent of color.

Certain patterns need a little work to show them at their best. Doc's PS is very cool, but I doubt it would make that impact without a bit of "styling". I have a number that need to be shown in a certain way to work. I'm happy to make the effort if I'm happy with the final result.

Is this the pattern you are referring to? If so, it is called "PAVOIS" or bulwark. You can usually find this design in the full-size scarf for women on eBay, but the pochette (pocket square) size are hard to come by...

SHY

17. kathleen deyo

kathleen deyo New Member

I design and hand dye and paint on silk pocket squares. Between sourcing the silk, cutting it dying it for three hours, rinsing and ironing hand painting and hemming $100 is cheap. Do you work for $10 an hour? Why not try making some little paintings on silk and see how you feel about their value.

18. chinesealpha

chinesealpha Senior member