• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive pocket squares

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
A man needs as many squares as he has neckties. And he should purge them when he purges his neckties.

I did exactly that about six months ago...about a third of my ties and squares went into the charity bin.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
See, I am so good at buying ties that I never have to get rid of them.

But I find that a handful of squares work with a variety of ties. No way I need 100+ squares.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I did exactly that about six months ago...about a third of my ties and squares went into the charity bin.

- B

I went through my squares this morning. Seeing bad, unused purchases is upsetting.
frown.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
But I find that a handful of squares work with a variety of ties. No way I need 100+ squares.

If you had 100+ squares, you could make a bedsheet, and then make shirt from it.

- B

SirSuturesALot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He does, and I like them. If you compare his squares to more ambitious ones, however, the differences in workmanship are readily apparent. Whether this means anything to a person is another matter, like so much that we discuss here. - B
Workmanship in the rolling or...? Please elaborate, I'd like to learn what I should look for when grading pocket square quality.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I'm at 5 months plus now and getting antsy! I went for navy and slate in the grenadines this time around, what did you get?
Aportnoy, Your grenadine order will be made this week - thank you for your patience, your ties will be beautiful. Quote: Originally Posted by Will A man needs as many squares as he has neckties. And he should purge them when he purges his neckties. Will you need to post the location of the Good Will that receives your donations I have a feeling that it will be a gold mine for some gentlemen who live near you.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by iammatt
I went through my squares this morning. Seeing bad, unused purchases is upsetting.
frown.gif

If you had 100+ squares, you could make a bedsheet, and then make shirt from it.

I'm experimenting with using only two. Not enough for a shirt, I know. But if I stitch them together along one edge, they'll become one pocket rectangle. I could choose which end I want to show, or do a mix. Tell Glennie you heard it here first.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love the square in Vox's pic, but I have squares that I think are just as good that cost a lot less than $125. I guess I would have to feel the silk and look at the stitching to know for sure. My cheapest silk square is from Austen Reed on Oxford Street on a lark one day. The silk is flimsy and the hand-rolling is uneven. I don't know why anyone even bothers to make borderless silk squares.
Manton, I am curious as to what it is about pocket squares with borders that appeals to you? For example is it simply a personal choice or is there a more technical reason? I ask because I have actually been thinking for a long time about working with pocket squares with borders. Our reasons for not doing so far are not because I don't like borders but because in the past we always wove our own pocket square silks and there are some technical challenges with weaving the borders by hand. Eventually we will perfect the technique but meanwhile our Macclesfield print focus is on the old classics from the David Evans/Adamley archives which are popular as pocket squares. In terms of design I personally prefer borderless patterns as they seem to flow and have a more natural - less framed feeling. Also they seem to have a more classic feeling to them as if they evolved from the plain white cotton square which 50 to 60 years ago was very popular.

contaygious

Reaction score
I was at the store yesterday and saw most pocket squares were around 100: Zegna, Etro, etc. Where do you get good pocket squares for less than that? I'm not seeing them in Vanouver
frown.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
A man needs as many squares as he has neckties. And he should purge them when he purges his neckties.
I have no idea how many ties I actually have but it's something approaching a thousand. I only have about 100 pocket squares and I doubt if i use more than 20.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, I have about 103 ties and 78 squares. I suppose, if anything, a man should have more squares than ties. I will not infrequently wear a square without a tie (either with an ascot or open collared shirt), but I will absolutely never wear a tie without a square.

BostonRussell

Reaction score
Wow, fantastic amount of information here.

One more question: where should I start? I intend to purchase a pack of Irish Linen handkerchiefs from Brooks and probably their Lavender tie. Any other recommendations for maxed price/value or just versatile style beginnings?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics