• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive pocket squares

Siggy

Reaction score
These prices are getting f'ing ridiculous! $125 for a pocket square!!!
eh.gif

Why do people pay this? Boycott!!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
These prices are getting f'ing ridiculous! $125 for a pocket square!!!
eh.gif

Why do people pay this? Boycott!!

Boycott style? Boycott things you would love to buy? No way!

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
It's with regard to sinking in and falling out that I think larger squares have the advantage. The extra volume tends to keep a square in place on way or another.

+1

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The disappearing pocket square, like the flaccid tie knot, is one of life's tragedies that seems to have skipped me.

A pocket square, even an expensive one, is still a somewhat trivial sartorial cost, so why not be relatively extravagant?

For silk squares, the quality of the prints (the silk, the number of dyes used, etc.) and the fineness of the sewing in the rolled edge seem to me not to top off until you get to the realm of the most pricey.

282793144_TxCoS-XL.jpg

For other fabrics, the differences are still meaningful:

8013-1(001).jpg

bayadere.jpg

As is mining the past:

284002362_aGBpu-L.jpg

- B

I have the top three, but not the Grrranimals square. Good squares are hard enough to find without worrying about price. You really don't need many, so don't skimp.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that price is not a good indication of pocket square quality. Other than the hand-rolled edges, there really is no "construction" aspect of pocket squares. It really comes down to the size you want and finding a fabric that's appealing to you.

Two things traits I thoroughly despise in pocket squares:

1) Freakishly large proportions. 12" square is ideal. Lots of companies seem to make 16" square squares, which doubles the bulk, increases the cost, and little else. It's ridiculous.

2) Wide borders. I've never understood why otherwise attractive pocket squares with beautiful patterns will have wide plain borders around the edge. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the design if you were t he square with the edges exposed?

After some experimenting with different squares at different prices, I'm convinced Kent Wang is one of the only people out there who "gets this"

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1 to the foregoing.

I note that some of my Roger Talbott squares run 18" to the side. Nice squares but great "crawlers." I don't mind a bit of flamboyance with a square, but I don't want to look as if I've got a goddamn balloon on my chest!

I find silk squares tend to want to escape regardless of whether they are cheap or expensive.

Paying a large amount for attractive designs on a square (as with Hermes) makes no sense to me as the square not going to be displayed in its entirety. It will be puffed or folded so that only very small figures will be discernible, not those big zebras and whatnot that Hermes likes to put on their squares. Rather garish affairs, anyway, in my opinion.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering the majority of my squares were relatively inexpensive, I just stick a piece of double-sided tape between the jacket and the square. I have not had to worry about having the square sink into the jacket.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Paying a large amount for attractive designs on a square (as with Hermes) makes no sense to me as the square not going to be displayed in its entirety. It will be puffed or folded so that only very small figures will be discernible, not those big zebras and whatnot that Hermes likes to put on their squares. Rather garish affairs, anyway, in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying, but part of the point of an elaborate print is that when it goes into a pocket, the elaboration is abstracted and the variety of colors and tones are what become important.

My opinion, though, is that this works best with only a bit of the square showing, and no or few edges...when it starts exploding out of the pocket like a jungle plant, you had better be an accomplished fop to make it anything but clownish.

- B

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I understand what you are saying, but part of the point of an elaborate print is that when it goes into a pocket, the elaboration is abstracted and the variety of colors and tones are what become important. My opinion, though, is that this works best with only a bit of the square showing, and no or few edges...when it starts exploding out of the pocket like a jungle plant, you had better be an accomplished fop to make it anything but clownish. - B
skampyclownzp5.jpg

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
skampyclownzp5.jpg

That is a very large pocket, but there is no square.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I find that price is not a good indication of pocket square quality. Other than the hand-rolled edges, there really is no "construction" aspect of pocket squares. It really comes down to the size you want and finding a fabric that's appealing to you.

Two things traits I thoroughly despise in pocket squares:

1) Freakishly large proportions. 12" square is ideal. Lots of companies seem to make 16" square squares, which doubles the bulk, increases the cost, and little else. It's ridiculous.

2) Wide borders. I've never understood why otherwise attractive pocket squares with beautiful patterns will have wide plain borders around the edge. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the design if you were t he square with the edges exposed?

After some experimenting with different squares at different prices, I'm convinced Kent Wang is one of the only people out there who "gets this"

1. I am not exactly sure how large my squares are, but I think they are all on the larger side. I don`t like the smaller ones because the type of folds you can do are quite limited. The larger ones allow much more flexibility and variation in the folds.

2. Similar to #1 above, the squares with narrow edges lack versatility. The wider edge gives the square more versatility and you can fold it several different ways and give the fold more interest.

When it comes to price, I guess it`s all about balance. There is no reason to buy an expensive square if the rest of the outfit is cheap, but if everything else is high quality, I question why someone would go cheap on just the square. Clearly the expensive ones use better silks and patterns.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel

Almost all my squares are the Hermes-type ones. I find them to be the most versatile (and stylish). On the other hand, I don`t like the ones with repeated, simple patterns much as to my eye they usually distract rather than compliment everything else.

To stir the pot a bit, I think there might be a pocket square progression/ladder:

beginner: white, linen/cotton, TV fold

amateur: small, silk, repeated-small patterns, TV style/bandaid fold

intermediate: small, silk, repeated-small patterns, simple puff

advanced: large, silk, picturesque design, more elaborate folds and combination folds. Can also fold linen with colored borders and silk with wide edges in various different folds.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
Almost all my squares are the Hermes-type ones. I find them to be the most versatile (and stylish). On the other hand, I don`t like the ones with repeated, simple patterns much as to my eye they usually distract rather than compliment everything else.

To stir the pot a bit, I think there might be a pocket square progression/ladder:

beginner: white, linen/cotton, TV fold

amateur: small, silk, repeated-small patterns, TV style/bandaid fold

intermediate: small, silk, repeated-small patterns, simple puff

advanced: large, silk, picturesque design, more elaborate folds and combination folds. Can also fold linen with colored borders and silk with wide edges in various different folds.

master: white, linen/cotton, TV fold.

Fixed
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads