• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expensive Jeans

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok, so when I fist arrived at this forum I thought the obsession over jeans that all looked the same to me was pretty ridiculous, especially considering their insane prices. But I've come over to the dark side and want to start buying nice, expensive jeans. I notice a lot of the names thrown around on the forum are not available at regular stores - and it seems most of you guys buy yours online from places like Revolve.

But where do I go to find out how they fit me? Is there a good store in NY that carries a bunch of the most popular brands talked about here? I want to go try them on, but I don't want to feel pressured in a small boutique to buy something. Any place I can go and try on these brands and get an idea of sizing rather anonimously?

But even then it seems daunting - I mean every style of jean by the same manufacturer fits differently - how do you guys just buy them online and know they will fit you right? Thanks...

-Confused Jean Noob

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Ok, so when I fist arrived at this forum I thought the obsession over jeans that all looked the same to me was pretty ridiculous, especially considering their insane prices. But I've come over to the dark side and want to start buying nice, expensive jeans. I notice a lot of the names thrown around on the forum are not available at regular stores - and it seems most of you guys buy yours online from places like Revolve.

But where do I go to find out how they fit me? Is there a good store in NY that carries a bunch of the most popular brands talked about here? I want to go try them on, but I don't want to feel pressured in a small boutique to buy something. Any place I can go and try on these brands and get an idea of sizing rather anonimously?

But even then it seems daunting - I mean every style of jean by the same manufacturer fits differently - how do you guys just buy them online and know they will fit you right? Thanks...

-Confused Jean Noob

Your concerns are why SF and SuFu exist. Because some of these brands are so obscure, it's hard for those not living in NYC or LA to get access to them. Thanks to Al Gore for the interweb, we know can conspicuously spend until kingdom comes.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Actually, DarkNWorn, according to senate internet committee head Ted Stevens the internet is really a series of pipes through which we buy these obscure jeans. The internet is not a dump truck as previously thought before.

My recommendation, MetroStyles, is to search for "NYC" in the streetwear section. Many stores have been named, some small, some larger. Try them all on, figure out what you want, then use the "pipes" to receive your jeans at a lower price (while helping SF at the same time, too.)

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy from places without jacked-up return policies, or realize that you're committed when you buy from a place that has a "store credit only" policy. In the latter case you'll wind up with the right size eventually, but you better like what you're getting; in the former, you have some time to think it over. I'm a big fan of buying three or so sizes at once (normal size, one up, and one down) and then going from there. Most of the places linked to in the pinned online store thread have return policies that allow you to do this kind of thing.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yer in NYC, you have access to more stores than anyone

Blue in Green in soho
Barneys in midtown
Nom de Guerre near soho
Atrium, right next to NDG
Famous Friends near Tompkin Park

that right there will have almost every esoteric brand discussed here

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yer in NYC, you have access to more stores than anyone

Duh; didn't even see that. Yeah, dude, you're set. Pay big soho a visit and they'll hook you up.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But will be overpaying by going to these stores? Is it ok to try on 10 jeans and not buy anything? Should I just see what I like there and still buy online, or just go ahead and buy at the store?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the jeans at BIG yer not even gonna find anywhere else in the country

the prices for a lot of the more expensive jeans don't vary much unless a particular store marks them up over retail. you can sometimes find them cheaper on the net but it may not be exactly what you want, so that's a tough question to accurately answer. Chances are you'll pay the same $ on the internet as instore.

I'd feel awkward trying on 10 jeans and not buying anything, but hey it's a relatively free country right?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
But will be overpaying by going to these stores? Is it ok to try on 10 jeans and not buy anything? Should I just see what I like there and still buy online, or just go ahead and buy at the store?

You, sir, are a grown ass man. You can go in there and try on 2035 pairs of jeans, and if they can't beat your ass and don't throw you out, who's going to stop you?

That being said, it's rude to go anywhere and waste a salesman's time with no intent of buying their wares, if that is truly your intent when you walk in the door. Trying on 10 pairs of jeans to buy one pair, however, is completely acceptable.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well to be fair I was only asking with the intent of buying them on the internet. If I can't save that much on the net then I would not leave the store without buying something.

This is great info so far for a newcomer to nice denim like myself, so keep it up
smile.gif
!

Next question - how much should I look to spend on my first nice pair? I've been buying stuff for $80 up til now...but I can't tell denim quality to be honest with you. I don't want to spend $300 if I won't be able to see a different between that and a pair for $150. So going into one of these stores how much money should I expect to pay for a nice pair?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
$150 is probably the magic number

APC in soho has the New Standard for $140
BIG has John Bulls starting at $150 (and these are prolly the ones you'd want, vs the ones that cost $200+)
Most dry Nudies (except the selvage ones) are $155

around $150 opens up tons of options and they're all good. just depends what fit you want

digital_denim

Big Lose
Reaction score
And for anyone on the West coast, San Francisco now has a store carrying some Japanese jeans called Self Edge, not as many japanese denim as BIG but it's a start. Just opened today. www.selfedge.com

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by digital_denim
And for anyone on the West coast, San Francisco now has a store carrying some Japanese jeans called Self Edge, not as many japanese denim as BIG but it's a start. Just opened today. www.selfedge.com
I plan on stopping by in Dec. Have you been yet, digital?

ndmhxc

Reaction score
im stoked to finally see this store. i get back to sf from school in like two and a half weeks, and the first second i have, im getting me a pair of sammies or maybe some iron army... im interested to try these on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads