• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expectations vs reality.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
I think it could be interesting to compare our expectations with the reality. Many people say that as a kid you expect one thing but as you grow up reality hits you and the challenge becomes to accept that your dreams just aren't realistic. What are your views on this? I think we have a good range of ages on this forums what did you expect from your life when you were younger? Did you realize it when you got older? Did you change your goals? Or did you settle on abandoning them.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i grew up with a single mom in a fairly crap neighborhood and no money so given what was expected of me, i feel like i've exceeded everyone's expectations of me-but not the ones i've set forth for myself.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you genuinely give a ****?

Please stop posting.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Do you genuinely have nothing else to do then go to all my posts and reply? At least I post about stuff I care, you post about the stuff you don't.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
Do you genuinely have nothing else to do then go to all my posts and reply? At least I post about stuff I care, you post about the stuff you don't.

+1. Pithy sophistry doesn't impress me much.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
At least I post about stuff I care, you post about the stuff you don't.

No, I genuinely care that you post. Please stop.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** off, why. I prefer these types of interesting posts in gen chat where different points of view are expressed and people can tell us about their experiences so we can all benefit. The reason I like this board is because its a more mature audience who appreciate these things.

Of course, Im sure you recognize that since you start these kinds of gems:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=95681

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
**** off, why. I prefer these types of interesting posts in gen chat where different points of view are expressed and people can tell us about their experiences so we can all benefit. The reason I like this board is because its a more mature audience who appreciate these things. Of course, Im sure you recognize that since you start these kinds of gems: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=95681
What's so interesting about having a pseudo-intellectual Kumbaya with someone whose thoughts are about a deep as a ditch made by a raindrop?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why, I would have given you much higher style points if you worked with the thread premise to flame the OP. Something like:

Expectation: You never start a thread again.
Reality: Your inane drivel continues to pollute SF.

Anyways, to answer the OP's question, when I was a kid I wanted to be rich and pull lots of *****. The ***** has gotten less exciting, and as far as being rich, I'm not sure I have the drive to be an entrepreneur. Right now I don't really have any expectations.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
What's so interesting about having a pseudo-intellectual Kumbaya with someone whose thoughts are about a deep as a ditch made by a raindrop?

I actually think this would be a better thread if you kindly stepped out of it. You have provided no insight into the topic whatsoever.

I'm really not sure how I've done so far in terms of the expectations of others- my parents raised me to do what I could for myself and I have done just that. I have a job, I have spending money, I run my own schedule; I think in the eyes of others I'm doing okay.

Personally I'm never satisfied with myself- I worry too much and that's probably the source of my depression; I don't have much else other than that. I enjoy myself while at work with my friends and feel like sh*t at home. I doubt that would be considered an expectation but it fits into the reality part of it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Personally I'm never satisfied with myself- I worry too much and that's probably the source of my depression; I don't have much else other than that. I enjoy myself while at work with my friends and feel like sh*t at home. I doubt that would be considered an expectation but it fits into the reality part of it.

That's interesting; I was just talking to one of my best friends and she said she doesn't know what to do with herself when she is alone - like she is intensely unhappy being all alone with "nothing to do". She really surrounds her self with people all the time and is hyper-social. Sounds a bit like you?

On the other hand, I like going out and tend to be high-energy with people, but I need to refresh by being alone for at least a few hours each day. I think I enjoy my own company more than anyone else's, and I'm certainly more comfortable chilling with myself than constantly being surrounded by peeps.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
That's interesting; I was just talking to one of my best friends and she said she doesn't know what to do with herself when she is alone - like she is intensely unhappy being all alone with "nothing to do". She really surrounds her self with people all the time and is hyper-social. Sounds a bit like you?

On the other hand, I like going out and tend to be high-energy with people, but I need to refresh by being alone for at least a few hours each day. I think I enjoy my own company more than anyone else's, and I'm certainly more comfortable chilling with myself than constantly being surrounded by peeps.

This is right. Generally I just sit around at home because I don't feel like driving somewhere to find something to do. I can't necessarily surround myself with a hobby because I do it as my job, and it's a bit of a commute to the airport to just sit around and watch the airplanes. I certainly don't surround myself with people, the majority of my close friends don't live near me.

I like going out too, as little as I do it. For me though there is nothing more relaxing than chilling out on the swing in the backyard at night with my iPod.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're 17. You don't 'go out'.

I get bored not being around people too (there, now we have the Kumbaya).

I was gonna say this thread is a waste again but then MetroStyles showed up and saved it.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're 17. You don't 'go out'.

I'm not sure where you would expect me to be at 11:00 on a Thursday night.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
You're 17. You don't 'go out'. I get bored not being around people too (there, now we have the Kumbaya).
You are trolling; posting in a thread for no other purpose but to "annoy or offend," and derailing it so that it becomes about you instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads