• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Expats in Japan - Help me out

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Thanks for the opinions. I was going to learn osaka-ben for the fun of it, I really have no professional purpose of learning Japanese at all. Is it really that bad?

A lot of things said differ from what I thought I knew so its very helpful.

I started out thinking I would never have any reason to speak Japanese, and now I work as a translator.

Even the exective manager of my department doesn't speak his native Kansai-ben except for effect now and then.

When I was first learning Japanese in Kyoto, my teachers strongly advised us not to get into the habit of speaking in the dialects. I'm very glad I took this to heart.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Interesting. Well I already know all the conjugations and such for standard japanese and the differences between kansai-ben and standard. I already know some kansai-ben, but it may be a little feminine, because my conversation partner was a female. I'm aware of the gender differences, I'll make sure to try and make sure I'm learning the guy words. I definitely don't call myself "atashi"
smile.gif
I'm looking forward to Osaka, I have a lot of friends there already who I met in America. I think having an accent might be a good thing for talking with ladies. Whenever I say "Maido" to a Japanese girl here in SD I always get a positive reaction.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
in my case I deliberately learned to speak Saigonese.

This tends to mortify Hanoians (which is 'standard Vietnamese') - but I figured that since I live in Saigon, mispronounce everything I say anyhow, they are most likely to understand me if I mispronounce it in the local dialect as opposed to mispronouncing it with an accent from 1200 miles away.

Japan I know nothing....

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whenever I say "Maido" to a Japanese girl here in SD I always get a positive reaction.

How do you define "a positive reaction"?
tounge.gif

summej2

Reaction score
lawl?

I love Osaka.

Yeah, Osaka is great. Posh in some places, but with a great seedy underside that is missing in the rest of Japan. Bears in Osaka has great punk; they thought it was "goi" that gaijin showed up at a show.

You'll be fine with language given what you've said.

And, yes, the rest is true.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I started out thinking I would never have any reason to speak Japanese, and now I work as a translator.

Even the exective manager of my department doesn't speak his native Kansai-ben except for effect now and then.

When I was first learning Japanese in Kyoto, my teachers strongly advised us not to get into the habit of speaking in the dialects. I'm very glad I took this to heart.

Yes, my boss and former thesis advisor really made certain that I spoke only "proper" Tokyo dialect; my accent is now far better than anything else I have left of the language.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I lived in Kyoto for 2 years, Japan for 10. I was happy with J-phone, which became Vodafone, which then became Softbank. I think for international roaming and making international calls Softbank might be the best, though I believe that docomo's bedrock cheapest domestic plan might be cheaper. If you use Skype or voice chat on MSN, the international benefits of Softbank may not be an issue.

As far as the language, I think it is useful to distinguish between proficiency in speaking and proficiency in reading/writing. I knew extroverts with no prior study who did quite well by chatting people up in bars, at the supermarket, on the train -- what have you. They couln't read any hiragana. I knew introverts who were professional translators with arcane knowledge of kanji who had a tough time carrying on a conversation. While I do not think it has to be an either or decision, it might be better to focus early to focus on the verbal rather than the written. It takes quite a while to become proficient enough to read the Nikkei. The best way to become verbally fluent is to speak in Japanese with as many people as possible. This means avoiding the "gaijin hunters" at the local university English Speaking Society, the Pig & Whistle, or at the International House.

Osaka ben is not bad, and can be used for its commedic value. I use Kansai ben to get a laugh, or to seem folksy, but not when I want a Japanese client to see me as a serious business person that can be trusted with serious matters. It might seem cool to be able to speak Osaka ben, and some Westerners on televison have made careers out of speaking non standard Japanese. Those people are few and far between. Some day, you may not want to be the crazy foreigner who speaks Osaka ben.

Most all Japanese people from Kansai speak standard Japanese, though I know a few who staunchly refuse to speak standard Japanese, wearing their Kansai-ben as a badge of honor. If you take any type of organized class, you will be taught standard Japanese.

I would stick with public transportation and a bicycle.

Medical help is "decent," but I didn't visit a doctor for the first 2 years I was there. I would buy international health insurance that can be used both in Japan and back home (just in case). This will be important if you decide you want to get your teeth cleaned back home during Christmas vacation, get ill on a side trip to Thailand, or need major surgery and cannot get the attention you need in Japan. I speak from experience -- I paid $9,000 out of my own pocket because the Japanese health insurance scheme wouldn't cover surgery back home.

Pot is really that illegal in Japan, and the prisons really are that wretched. You do not want to be a foreigner (even a Caucasian North American one) on the wrong side of the law and sent to Fuchu Prison.

http://www.uknow.or.jp/be_e/consular/atoz/a/02g.htm

Bic

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
How do you define "a positive reaction"?
tounge.gif

A giggle and a conversation, and sometimes more. Can't complain about that.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads