• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exotic skins.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Originally Posted by archetypal_yuppie
I've heard Kangaroo is incredibly resilient. I think it's used in the best soccer shoes now. I'm not sure if it's often used in dress shoes.

No offense intended, but those shark AE's are really super ugly. Remarkably so.

That's correct. Adidas uses kangaroo on some of the 'old school' models, like the "World Cup / Copa Mundial" boot

It's very soft - I think perhaps too soft to hold its shape well which might be why you don't see it for dress shoes

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perun
Foto086-2.jpg

I LOLed.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Perun
But yes, I have to agree that most men here adhere to a pretty conformist, straight out dull style; bragging about shoes that I would pay 20$ for at the very most, and then wear while painting my ceiling.

Your shoes are ugly and tacky, the only reason you receive 'complements' is because people will complement anything which stands out or is unusual.

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
I know ostrich leather print isn't exactly exotic, but I'm still somewhat trying to get my head around liking this pair of Barker Puccinis.... Have anyone had any experiences seeing them in real life?
Attachment 56677

On one hand it's a little more unique which is tempting, on the other hand something in my head is telling me I'm about to regret buying this......

Perun

Reaction score
I usually never buy prints, but I do actually own a pair of cowleather shoes, with an exotic print.

Foto079-2.jpg

Foto099.jpg

Foto100.jpg

However, at a price of 330€, I can't say that I felt the real/print-on difference in my wallet that much.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Hideous beyond belief. 'Exotic' skins are tacky at best.

I am a fan of them when done right, like the ones on the below thread. Perun's are a windup, who on earth would wear such things. I can't believe he lives in Amsterdam, I would have thought Gert Wilders would have had such a person wearing those banished along with Burka clad females.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=187914&page=2

dsmolken

Reaction score
I like the tougher/thicker exotics - elephant, hippo, shark. Stingray, though, not so much.

Full-quill ostrich is great, but outside of the southern US probably has limited usefulness for anything except attention-grabbing in casual settings. Ostrich leg isn't quite as soft or breathable, but looks nice too, in a completely different way. I have a pair of sueded ostrich leg boots that I've tried to convince people are made from the tail segments of large termite queens, haha.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TintoTerra
Hideous beyond belief. 'Exotic' skins are tacky at best.

Some exotics are great. I would love to be able to afford a pair of Tom Ford alligator loafers, and there's a pair of stingray wholecuts that were posted a while back (in the shoe Appreciation thread I think, I forget who by) which were sick.

Perun's are just terrible though, the sort bought by people with no taste whatsoever, who only want to wear the most ostentatious and tacky things they can possibly find.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads