1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exotic Cars on the Street

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Ferrari's are track cars for the road. There's quite a difference. It's like saying Aston Martin and Lotus, or Mercedes and Porsche are the same.

Ask Mr. Röhrl...

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

Yeah lots of people say that. I dunno why. I think the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano looks FANTASTIC, and the F430 and 360 are quite nice.

Obviously, you have to see them in person. Could change your mind.

Btw, nobody will deny that the cars you mentioned above are stunning and nice.

3. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

Obviously, you have to see them in person. Could change your mind.

Btw, nobody will deny that the cars you mentioned above are stunning and nice.

You're quite right. I have, in fact, never seen a 275 GTB shortnose in real life. I would love to spend more time around proper sports and exotic cars, but unfortunately the car scene here in Australia is dominated by idiots in Ford Falcons, Holden Commodores, and poorly modified Japanese imports.

I once tried for half an hour to explain that the reason my stock Honda Integra VTiR (VTEC model) was faster than this other guy's VTiR was because he'd put a bolt on exhaust and pod filter on it. He was upset to the point of anger over this. He didn't seem to understand that the standard exhaust is tuned very well for the standard engine, and that by taking off the standard air box, he'd removed the cold air induction system that is incorporated in to the stock system. *facepalm*

4. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Yeah lots of people say that. I dunno why. I think the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano looks FANTASTIC, and the F430 and 360 are quite nice. Personally I think the DB9 is the best looking car out there at the moment though. I guess I'm young, so don't have as much of a romance about older cars.
    I'm not that old. I wasn't around when legends like the E type or the Miura were built. I think old cars have more soul. New sports cars often look like heat exchangers. Old cars are also a much more rare sight. Put it this way, you won't see Kobe Bryant buy his wife a Ferrari 250 GTO and convert it to an automatic transmission because she can't drive stick. (He did just that with a Bugatti Veyron)

5. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

I'm not that old. I wasn't around when legends like the E type or the Miura were built. I think old cars have more soul. New sports cars often look like heat exchangers. Old cars are also a much more rare sight. Put it this way, you won't see Kobe Bryant buy his wife a Ferrari 250 GTO and convert it to an automatic transmission because she can't drive stick. (He did just that with a Bugatti Veyron)
    No he didn't, because all Bugatti Veyrons are automatic already. They couldn't make a manual box to handle the 1,000 hp reliably. EDIT: And after a quick look around the internets... He did that with a Lamborghini MurciÃ[​IMG]lago which is the STUPIDEST THING EVER because you can get it with a bloody E-Gear clutch less manual deal. I think putting an Automatic in a car like that should be rewarded by corporal punishment.

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

No he didn't, because all Bugatti Veyrons are automatic already. They couldn't make a manual box to handle the 1,000 hp reliably.
    I just checked and it was a Lamborghini Murcielago. I'm not too familar with the Bugatti or other modern supercars.

7. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

I just checked and it was a Lamborghini Murcielago. I'm not too familar with the Bugatti or other modern supercars.
    Indeed. I guess there is an advantage to old sports cars: Less of them came with automatic transmissions.

8. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

He did that with a Lamborghini MurciÃ[​IMG]lago which is the STUPIDEST THING EVER because you can get it with a bloody E-Gear clutch less manual deal.

I think putting an Automatic in a car like that should be rewarded by corporal punishment.

Giving the car to an unexperienced driver is also not very clever. [​IMG]

Probably, he did the conversion due to publicity reasons. It occurs, that the Lambo is spending more time on exhibitions, parades or similar, than on the places, where it should belong.

I understand, that the car was related to his rape-trial and meant as a conciliation gift. Quite a good PR, from a professional point of view.

9. mussel

mussel Senior member

Have you never seen a nice car before? I find it really odd to take pictures of other people's private property. There's something real pedestrian about it.

[Sorry, had to rant a bit]

[​IMG]

Don't get me wrong though, the pictures here are great.

Don't you just hate those who has nothing to contribute, bitches and whines about someone's efforts, and then enjoys the same pictures he just moaned.

10. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

Giving the car to an unexperienced driver is also not very clever. [​IMG]

Probably, he did the conversion due to publicity reasons. It occurs, that the Lambo is spending more time on exhibitions, parades or similar, than on the places, where it should belong.

I understand, that the car was related to his rape-trial and meant as a conciliation gift. Quite a good PR, from a professional point of view.

Probably not, but it's an Audi, not a proper Lamborghini anyway. It's AWD and I'm sure she'd never turn off the TCS, ASC, SC and ESP. She'll probably never put her foot all the way into the floor either.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My favorite Italian car brand is Lancia. The fact that they went bankrupt because they refused to compromise on quality makes it all the more endearing. As expected, they were bought up by Fiat. The Flaminia series was a beauty: [​IMG]

12. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

I saw this Bentley Fastback parked in 2006. It was/is absolutely gorgeous, and is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice car.... driving it would be like steering the titanic though.
    there's that great quote from Bugatti saying that Bentley build the worlds fastest trucks

13. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

My favorite Italian car brand is Lancia. The fact that they went bankrupt because they refused to compromise on quality makes it all the more endearing. As expected, they were bought up by Fiat.

I drove a friend's convertible many moons ago - I believe it was an Appia Vignale and while perfectly tuned to the car standards and charming - I found the handling a little stiff and the engine was quite loud - like it woke up with a whiskey soaked voice on a bad morning. I hope they weren't all like this by nature.

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

"Pinin" Farina once said that the Lancia Flaminia was the car he wanted to "drive to heaven in".

15. c3cubed

c3cubed Senior member

"Pinin" Farina once said that the Lancia Flaminia was the car he wanted to "drive to heaven in".

He must have been partial to a particular model/year? Not sure which that would be.

I believe the original company was Alfa-Lancia and they split into two divisions mid century. They always seemed to have a sister rivalry with one another, much like Bentley/Rolls.

My Alfa still has mongrammed parts with Alfa-Lancia on it.
    However you are right about it being purchased by Fiat in the mid 90's.

Whenever driving one of these vehicles, one always feels like they're in a Fellini film. Everything goes black and white, and for some reason, there's a lady in the seat beside you, her face artfully draped in a leopard print chiffon scarf and large dark sunglasses - calling you Marcello.

16. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

No he didn't, because all Bugatti Veyrons are automatic already. They couldn't make a manual box to handle the 1,000 hp reliably.

EDIT: And after a quick look around the internets...

He did that with a Lamborghini MurciÃ[​IMG]lago which is the STUPIDEST THING EVER because you can get it with a bloody E-Gear clutch less manual deal.

I think putting an Automatic in a car like that should be rewarded by corporal punishment.

I believe the Veyrons, since Bugatti is owned by VW, are actually using VW's dual clutch semi-auto 7-speed transmission which uses a manual gear box that's computer controlled, like an F1 car. The reasoning is that having 1000 HP and being targeted at the wealthy, you could get massive problems with destroying the gearbox and other mechanicals if you had a "regular" person do shifts from start with it. The DCT gearbox allows for computer control to prevent issues and also prevents problems most people would have with a traditional 8 gate shifter.

17. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

I believe the Veyrons, since Bugatti is owned by VW, are actually using VW's dual clutch semi-auto 7-speed transmission which uses a manual gear box that's computer controlled, like an F1 car. The reasoning is that having 1000 HP and being targeted at the wealthy, you could get massive problems with destroying the gearbox and other mechanicals if you had a "regular" person do shifts from start with it. The DCT gearbox allows for computer control to prevent issues and also prevents problems most people would have with a traditional 8 gate shifter.
    Oh, you're quite right. I was sure it was a conventional automatic with a torque converter, but apparently it's not. Interesting. EDIT: Apparently it uses a duel wet clutch setup. Cool.

18. Roikins

Roikins Senior member

Oh, you're quite right. I was sure it was a conventional automatic with a torque converter, but apparently it's not. Interesting.

EDIT: Apparently it uses a duel wet clutch setup. Cool.

An interesting aside is the new BMW M5 came with a 7 speed semi-auto SMG transmission, but when US customers complained about not having a manual option, BMW released one using a regular 6 speed shifter off the old M5, meaning the gearing had to be different since, again, they weren't going to make an H-gate shifter with 7 speeds and reverse. Due to the different gearing for the 6 speed, the car performed differently and needed some special traction control "insurance" when starting in 1st to prevent problems, causing even more complaints. Sometimes you just can't win. [​IMG]

19. Shraka

Shraka Senior member

An interesting aside is the new BMW M5 came with a 7 speed semi-auto SMG transmission, but when US customers complained about not having a manual option, BMW released one using a regular 6 speed shifter off the old M5, meaning the gearing had to be different since, again, they weren't going to make an H-gate shifter with 7 speeds and reverse. Due to the different gearing for the 6 speed, the car performed differently and needed some special traction control "insurance" when starting in 1st to prevent problems, causing even more complaints. Sometimes you just can't win. [​IMG]
    Or rather, you can win by designing it with the gearbox you know everyone wants because it's the best: A Standard H Gate manual. [​IMG] Oh, also, give the option to turn off all your interfering TCS systems. Even if it's really hard to turn off, make it an option, otherwise you'll get complaints. I actually rather like the idea of these new DSG gearboxes, but I'd really miss having a clutch. [​IMG]

20. A Y

A Y Senior member

An interesting aside is the new BMW M5 came with a 7 speed semi-auto SMG transmission, but when US customers complained about not having a manual option, BMW released one using a regular 6 speed shifter off the old M5, meaning the gearing had to be different since, again, they weren't going to make an H-gate shifter with 7 speeds and reverse.

US customers were totally wrong about that, BTW. They did not understand the car and its capabilities, and BMW caved and let them have a hamstrung car.

--Andre