Exotic Cars on the Street

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

I see it as similar to the earlier 300SEL 6.3 and the 450SEL 6.9--4 door cars that are generally indistinguishable other than a small trunk badge.

The other fast sleeper was the 450SLC 5.0 and the later 500SLC, which looked like an elongated R107 convertible series.

Hmmh, the cars you are referring to are S-Class and the W124 is from their middle range. It was not only about performance, it was a social class thing.

2. Brad

Brad Senior member

No idea how exotic/rare this thing is, but it looks nice to my (uneducated) eyes.

[​IMG]

What is this?

3. whacked

whacked Senior member

What is this?

A Studebaker Avanti, per wikipedia.

I too(?) thought it was a mod at first, since the location is a small town near Detroit.

4. Brad

Brad Senior member

I too(?) thought it was a mod at first, since the location is a small town near Detroit.

Wild. I'd never seen one before.

5. scenesreplayed

scenesreplayed Active Member

if its not from the 50s or 60s whats the point? unless its an 80s ferrari with a macho man with a bushy mustache, then thats also noteworthy.

6. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

I've always liked the Avanti, I'm just not particularly impressed with the car pictured. However they can be had for next to nothing, and still offer more style than the typical Accord or Camry.

7. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

LK, interesting information. I cannot recall the involvement of Porsche in this project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/500e

Wiki is your friend... and LK's.

8. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Was in Singapore for the weekend, spotted this guy at parking. Also neglected to take a photo of a 1976 refurbed Toyota Celica [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Someone was driving a McLaren out of the departures lane at Dulles Airport this morning, it had Virginia plates. Too bad I didn't have my camera but other NoVa members take note that someone around here owns one of these things.

JB

10. dave

dave Senior member

that's not a Studebaker. that's an Avanti II. they were made in the 80s and on and off through the 90s. they may be in production again too, who knows.

The Studebakers were GORGEOUS cars but the proportions on the continuation models are off just enough to make them look weird. from the square headlight pans to the fiberglass bumper surrounds they just lack the refinement of the original. they were built of the 80s GM F-body if that tells you anything.

11. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

that's not a Studebaker. that's an Avanti II. they were made in the 80s and on and off through the 90s. they may be in production again too, who knows.

The Studebakers were GORGEOUS cars but the proportions on the continuation models are off just enough to make them look weird. from the square headlight pans to the fiberglass bumper surrounds they just lack the refinement of the original. they were built of the 80s GM F-body if that tells you anything.

Thanks, for the insight, I was wondering why the one pictured looked somewhat awkward when compared against models I've personally seen before.

12. jkw

jkw Senior member

I live in London so it's normal to see a lot of nice cars, and ocasionally some really rare exotics instead of the usual ferraris, lambos etc. mixed in with too many s-classes and 7-series. Seen a few Veyrons, and an Enzo about 5 years ago. Here's one of the more interesting cars I've seen. Parked in my friends garage, I will be surprised if anyone gets this one lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple blocks from my house. Saw a chrom lamborghini and some other interesting stuff driving around at gumball time. I recently found out their office is quite close to me, and I sometimes see a pink striped range rover too... not as cool

[​IMG]

13. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

The Rolls is nasty, IMO.

[​IMG]

14. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

That is quite possibly the ugliest motor vehicle I've ever seen.

JB

15. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

LOL that RR is an abomination.