• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Existential/midlife crisis again... v.FUUUUUUUU

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting tired of being a business douchebag again...
frown.gif

Maybe it's just this day. I am in a transitional period in my life right now, where I am going to have to choose between several options when it comes to career/lifestyle/etc. None of the options are going to be particularly bad. Some people would kill to have them.

But instead of thinking between options A, B, and C or whatever, I keep thinking I just want to do Z - which would be to say ******* all and do something completely different from what I've been doing. The problem is that despite being more on the creative/inquisitive side, I've been stuck in business and will continue to be stuck in business unless I make a huge change.

My choices in life went something like this: I like too many different things, so I will just stick to business for now because a)it's stable and sure b)it provides opportunities for growth and independence (oh that elusive independence that never comes no matter how far you climb) Plus I also want to make my parents happy and have them see their son become successful instead of struggling to make it...
confused.gif

At the end of it all, I am much more of a scholar/inventor type than the manager/whatever type. Ugh. And I have been making this thread on the biannual basis now, despite continuously improving my overall position in life. This sucks. I don't want to still be making this thread in a year, but I also don't wanna be the guy who makes that "Guyz, I left business to become an assistant buyer" thread.

FML

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Saw title, thought it was a kunk thread.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Start a ******* business but slowly, like get capital first instead of doing it in your basement.

Been there already, wouldn't want to do it again until a great idea + capital + all that.

So I mean yeah, it's an option eventually, just not right now. Plus I am not crazy at all about 90% of the work running a business entails.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Saw title, thought it was a kunk thread.

I'm glad that kunk is rich now. Cuts down on the whining tenfold!

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I'm getting tired of being a business douchebag again...
frown.gif
Maybe it's just this day. I am in a transitional period in my life right now, where I am going to have to choose between several options when it comes to career/lifestyle/etc. None of the options are going to be particularly bad. Some people would kill to have them. But instead of thinking between options A, B, and C or whatever, I keep thinking I just want to do Z - which would be to say ******* all and do something completely different from what I've been doing. The problem is that despite being more on the creative/inquisitive side, I've been stuck in business and will continue to be stuck in business unless I make a huge change. My choices in life went something like this: I like too many different things, so I will just stick to business for now because a)it's stable and sure b)it provides opportunities for growth and independence (oh that elusive independence that never comes no matter how far you climb) Plus I also want to make my parents happy and have them see their son become successful instead of struggling to make it...
confused.gif
At the end of it all, I am much more of a scholar/inventor type than the manager/whatever type. Ugh. And I have been making this thread on the biannual basis now, despite continuously improving my overall position in life. This sucks. I don't want to still be making this thread in a year, but I also don't wanna be the guy who makes that "Guyz, I left business to become an assistant buyer" thread. FML

These two statements show that you have two contrasting definitions of what it means to be happy. To be truly happy, I think you will have to reconcile them somehow. A good starting point would probably be to listen to the part of you that won't go away. Something has to give before you do.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm glad that kunk is rich now. Cuts down on the whining tenfold!

i can do better as Kunk the Second.

Originally Posted by Sherman90
These two statements show that you have two contrasting definitions of what it means to be happy. To be truly happy, I think you will have to reconcile them somehow. A good starting point would probably be to listen to the part of you that won't go away. Something has to give before you do.

position in life/success =/= happiness

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pursue interests completely outside of your work

I'm not crazy about my job... but I'm into fixed gear biking (whatever that means), I make music, I dabble in photography... and of course there's style/fashion... if you have some personal defining interests it makes life that much more... interesting.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
invent bourgeoisie stuff to obsess about, works for me.

i can do better as Kunk the Second.

position in life/success =/= happiness

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
Pursue interests completely outside of your work

I'm not crazy about my job... but I'm into fixed gear biking (whatever that means), I make music, I dabble in photography... and of course there's style/fashion... if you have some personal defining interests it makes life that much more... interesting.

have plenty of those + lots of work to do... so it becomes a balancing issue.

suzuka

Reaction score
grab a bunch of like minded individuals and start a business so you're slaving away for yourself and not for an evil giant faceless corporation.

OR just stick to your current job and f*ck the dog all day

Gewehr

Reaction score
What Mr Kowalski would say "**** son, man up and do whatever you want already."

Milpool

Reaction score

At the end of it all, I am much more of a scholar/inventor type than the manager/whatever type.

FML

What is it that you want to study or invent? Do you just like working with your hands? Get an old car or motorcycle to restore.

Give us some idea of what actually interests you.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I havent even started my career yet and fear that I might be in your position down the road. In August I received an employment offer from a great firm I interned with over the summer. The work is in a great field in the corporate world, but I have grown up in restaurants and always wanted to be a chef and fear that I am going live the rest of my life with regret.

FML
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads