1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exercising before breakfast helps you lose fat

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by haganah, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Modern Day Adonis

Modern Day Adonis Well-Known Member

Well, ya. The findings apply to hyper-caloric fat rich diets (in their own words).

Of course, and moderate effort levels. You're training your body to utilize fat as energy, and it's how we are suppose to operate. Fat oxidation is also extremely important for marathoners, as evident by many training in carb depleted states.

I've personally ran in the mornings for the past 2.5 years, I've found that I can run recovery->moderate runs sans food. However, if the intensity is higher I bonk due to to lack of carbohydrates/glucose. I've found that eating a banana or two in the morning of a workout provides the carbs I need.

My personal fat loss hasn't been substantial but I know others who have. If you're never in a carbohydrate depleted state how do you intend to burn your excess stores of fat?

Another valuable tool is doubling with an AM run and then a lifting session/second cardio session in the afternoon/evening.

2. Modern Day Adonis

that seems to be interesting, but i guess i cant survive having a long run without anything in my stomach, but still i'll give it a try though. what would be the suggested diet program for this? is there any recommendation on what to eat to have a more pleasing outcome?

So are you asking about a general diet to help with fat loss? Or what to eat pre-run? Or both?

In general, minimize carb intake. Time your carbs an hour before and an hour post exercising; that is when you need it most.

Pre-run foods, I generally just go with a banana or two. You could eat other fruits, toast, oatmeal, drink juice, etc. It really is up to you and whatever you find to work well.

3. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

You're training your body to utilize fat as energy, and it's how we are suppose to operate. Fat oxidation is also extremely important for marathoners, as evident by many training in carb depleted states.

First, you can't "train" your body to use a particular macro, digestion is autonomic.

Second, ingestion of dietary fat has no direct connection to using fat for energy.

Carbohydrates don't inhibit fat oxidation if you're at a caloric deficit.

4. Modern Day Adonis

First, you can't "train" your body to use a particular macro, digestion is autonomic. Second, ingestion of dietary fat has no direct connection to using fat for energy. Carbohydrates don't inhibit fat oxidation if you're at a caloric deficit.
    Train was a poor word choice, I wasn't expecting someone to dissect my every word...your body becomes more efficient at fat oxidization. This in turn allows you to delay fatigue and thus perform better. Plenty of studies have been conducted and support this claim. Your body uses carbohydrates for short term moderately high -> high intensity. Carbohydrate stores are limited and their depletion is the primary cause of fatigue during prolonged runs at higher intensities; this part of the reason GU was invented. Take someone who has thrived on a traditional high carbohydrate diet and then remove carbs. It'll be brutal until their body adapts and becomes efficient at utilizing fats for energy. Consider the following from Greg McMillan, http://www.mcmillanelite.com/about.htm
    Secondly, look at Effects of high-fat and high-carbohydrate diets on metabolism and performance in cycling. (Rowlands and Hopkins 2002) Endurance capacity and high-intensity exercise performance responses to a high fat diet. (Fleming et all. 2003) Lastly, am I incorrect in thinking that carbohydrates are preferred by the body for energy?

5. Hartmann

Hartmann Senior member

your body becomes more efficient at fat oxidization. This in turn allows you to delay fatigue and thus perform better.

From the two studies you linked, neither showed a clear improvement in exercise performance when on a high fat diet.

It has nothing to do with efficiency or fat utilization. Your body can break down fat just fine. The reason why low-carb diets suck at first is because you need to (a) send a hormonal signal to break down fat for energy, AND (b) accumulate enough ketones in your bloodstream so they can be used for energy. (b) is what makes you feel terrible on low carb diets, since your brain needs either glucose or ketones.

Fat and carbohydrates are also linked to different dietary hormones so a change in diet results in different hormone levels. Since everything has the annoying habit of being linked to everything else, there are always knock on effects.

There is no physiological need for carbohydrates.

6. OakCreekHitter

OakCreekHitter Senior member

exercising anytime helps you lose fat