• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercises to replace squats?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been getting serious about fitness lately, and have been tweaking a workout routine that works for me. Here's my main problem:

I workout at home. No gym, no machines. I'm limited to a dumbell bar, a long bent bar, a ghetto version of olympic hanging rings, and a pullup bar. I've gotten almost all muscles covered, but I've learned that I cannot safely perform squats on my own without a spot, and therefore cannot practically use them.

I would like to weld up a squat rack sometime in the future, but can't afford the steel for a little while. Is there anything I can do with what I have that would work as a replacement?

dimshum

Reaction score
What about making a sandbag and squatting while holding or overhead? It would be an excellent exercise for both the core and your legs. Go to www.rosstraining.com for tips on how to make your own sandbag, and tips on how to target your legs without weights. Pistols work too (one-legged squats).

AB01

Reaction score
Get one of those big workout balls. Place your back against the wall with the ball in between. Move your legs forward and shoulder width apart.
Hold weights in both hands and bend your knees.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you need a spot on back squats. If you have a problem, let go of the bar. I don't know what a spotter would do for you, as usually squat weights are far too heavy to actually bend over and lift off of someone alone.

That said, try squat variants, like the OH, which is easy to dumb the bar, or the Dan John Goblet squat with dumbbells (again, easy to dump). Holding sand bags can work too.

turbozed

Reaction score
I've seen a ghetto squat rig consisting of a 4x4 with two buckets at the end filled with rocks. Do a google search for alternative squat rigs.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
I'm not sure why you need a spot on back squats. If you have a problem, let go of the bar. I don't know what a spotter would do for you, as usually squat weights are far too heavy to actually bend over and lift off of someone alone.

Because I'm broke and I've broken some bigger weights by dropping the bar hard, though I could try putting down some thick rubber pads. Also, I can squat more than I can lift overhead, so getting started is becoming a problem.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the easy solution there is 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood and a piece of rubber mat from a horse place. That is how most folks build olympic lifting platforms in their garages. Google it and see if you can find some good instructions with photos and supply lists and such.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Because I'm broke and I've broken some bigger weights by dropping the bar hard, though I could try putting down some thick rubber pads. Also, I can squat more than I can lift overhead, so getting started is becoming a problem.

lol yeah. You'd have to have some really weird muscle imbalances to be able to snatch or clean and jerk (and then secure on your back) more weight than you're able to squat.

A rack of some sort is necessary for squatting. In the meantime before you do find a rack to work off of, I suggest doing overhead squats. They're a lot harder to do than back squats, and you should be able to power snatch up enough weight to do them.

As I said before (if I didn't then I should have) there is NO SUBSTITUTE for the back squat. The overhead squat will, however, train your core and will improve your squat form. Why? Because if you're not doing them perfectly, you WILL drop the weight. After getting good at these, maintaining good back squat technique will be much easier (when you do start back squats).

Good luck
smile.gif

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AB01
Get one of those big workout balls. Place your back against the wall with the ball in between. Move your legs forward and shoulder width apart.
Hold weights in both hands and bend your knees.

Don't listen to this.

I +1 the overhead as a prep, and the statement that there is no sub for the back squat. Also if you're going to be purchasing more plates in the future, buy bumper plates so you don't have to worry about dumping the bar.

Another option is to train with a weight your feel comfortable putting overhead until you get a rack. Assuming it's much less then a heavy back squat for you, just up the number of reps. For example instead of 3x10 do 3x20. Then press the weight overhead at the end of the set and bring it down.

Good luck and train hard.

Mr. Caber

Reaction score
And never do 3x20 in anything. That's called aerobics.

Kris

Reaction score
If you live in craigslist city, you can probably find a minimal rack for under 50 bucks if you check every day. I am not a wealthy man, but my garage is a well-equipped lifting room thanks to craigslist. A Tuff Stuff full cage with a top and bottom pulley attachment for 100 bucks, 140kg of bumper plates for 100 bucks, a pair of 35lb bearing dumbells for 20 bucks, about 400 lbs of iron for 45 bucks, 2 oly bars for 50, etc, the list goes on.

In the meantime, at the very least, you can do front squats with as much as you can clean.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
If you live in craigslist city, you can probably find a minimal rack for under 50 bucks if you check every day. I am not a wealthy man, but my garage is a well-equipped lifting room thanks to craigslist. A Tuff Stuff full cage with a top and bottom pulley attachment for 100 bucks, 140kg of bumper plates for 100 bucks, a pair of 35lb bearing dumbells for 20 bucks, about 400 lbs of iron for 45 bucks, 2 oly bars for 50, etc, the list goes on.

In the meantime, at the very least, you can do front squats with as much as you can clean.

If you train by yourself, why you need 2 oly bars.
Yup. A rack together with flat and incline bench would actually fit 90% of most people's needs.

Kris

Reaction score
I have two oly bars for convenience so I can go from exercises or superset without playing musical weights- for instance BP and barbell fron raise, etc. Its the luxury of having your own weight room. I only have a hour a day to spare for workouts, so I have to be efficient.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads