• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise With A Hurt Ankle?

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Over spring break I sprained my ankle fairly well, and two weeks ago while at a jazz concert in a park (with wine, of course) I managed to fall on some grass and re-agitate my ankle. I've been trying to get in shape before my job starts in August, but having a weak ankle has really put a damper on what I can do exercise-wise. I've got some dumbbells, but otherwise nothing else (trainer, gym, etc). Any suggestions for ways I could get my heart going? The ankle feels fine, and I can walk normally, but I can tell that if I asked too much of it and do something strenuous, I could hurt it again. Anybody been in a similar situation?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
Over spring break I sprained my ankle fairly well, and two weeks ago while at a jazz concert in a park (with wine, of course) I managed to fall on some grass and re-agitate my ankle. I've been trying to get in shape before my job starts in August, but having a weak ankle has really put a damper on what I can do exercise-wise. I've got some dumbbells, but otherwise nothing else (trainer, gym, etc). Any suggestions for ways I could get my heart going? The ankle feels fine, and I can walk normally, but I can tell that if I asked too much of it and do something strenuous, I could hurt it again. Anybody been in a similar situation?

Don't strain it!

Seriously. I have two ankles that give me trouble, both martial arts inuries. They have never fully recovered. Do not do anything which will require a lot of impact. Make sure you warm up & stretch properly, ice it and take anti inflammatory medicines. Possibly a stationary bicycle, elliptical machines et.c. will be ok. But definitely no jogging or things of the sort. If need be wear an ankle brace.

IANAD of course
biggrin.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stationary bike, handbike, rowing, swimming (mostly pulling, rather than kicking). probably best to avoid impact.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doctor, physical therapy, swimming.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
Doctor, physical therapy, swimming.

Excellent point - have you been to a doctor yet?

Spencer Young

Reaction score
It's not bad enough to warrant a visit to the doctor, really. The first sprain (few months ago) I went, but didn't need to do anything other than stay off it/pop Advil. I'm back to normal shoes and walking just fine, currently... I just don't want any kind of exercises that might rehurt it. Thanks for the suggestions!

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Multiple ankle sprains are very problematic and can lead to longterm problems (trust me, I have them). You should see your doctor and get a physical therapy program. A good home program of the right exercises will get you moving again and help protect against future injuries.

Right now, swimming is your best bet.

Take care of that ankle! You'll want it to work well when you're older.

TheRookie

Reaction score
I'm getting over something similar. A severe foot sprain that turned into a minor ankle sprain from the weakened foot. It was six weeks before I could run on it without taping. Try a stationary bike and swimming and then elevate/ice/ibuprofen after exercise. You may find this website useful:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_anksprai_rex.htm

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads