1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exercise With A Hurt Ankle?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Spencer Young, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

Over spring break I sprained my ankle fairly well, and two weeks ago while at a jazz concert in a park (with wine, of course) I managed to fall on some grass and re-agitate my ankle. I've been trying to get in shape before my job starts in August, but having a weak ankle has really put a damper on what I can do exercise-wise. I've got some dumbbells, but otherwise nothing else (trainer, gym, etc). Any suggestions for ways I could get my heart going? The ankle feels fine, and I can walk normally, but I can tell that if I asked too much of it and do something strenuous, I could hurt it again. Anybody been in a similar situation?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Over spring break I sprained my ankle fairly well, and two weeks ago while at a jazz concert in a park (with wine, of course) I managed to fall on some grass and re-agitate my ankle. I've been trying to get in shape before my job starts in August, but having a weak ankle has really put a damper on what I can do exercise-wise. I've got some dumbbells, but otherwise nothing else (trainer, gym, etc). Any suggestions for ways I could get my heart going? The ankle feels fine, and I can walk normally, but I can tell that if I asked too much of it and do something strenuous, I could hurt it again. Anybody been in a similar situation?

Don't strain it!

Seriously. I have two ankles that give me trouble, both martial arts inuries. They have never fully recovered. Do not do anything which will require a lot of impact. Make sure you warm up & stretch properly, ice it and take anti inflammatory medicines. Possibly a stationary bicycle, elliptical machines et.c. will be ok. But definitely no jogging or things of the sort. If need be wear an ankle brace.

IANAD of course [​IMG]

3. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

stationary bike, handbike, rowing, swimming (mostly pulling, rather than kicking). probably best to avoid impact.

4. thinman

thinman Senior member

Doctor, physical therapy, swimming.

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Doctor, physical therapy, swimming.

Excellent point - have you been to a doctor yet?

6. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

It's not bad enough to warrant a visit to the doctor, really. The first sprain (few months ago) I went, but didn't need to do anything other than stay off it/pop Advil. I'm back to normal shoes and walking just fine, currently... I just don't want any kind of exercises that might rehurt it. Thanks for the suggestions!

7. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Multiple ankle sprains are very problematic and can lead to longterm problems (trust me, I have them). You should see your doctor and get a physical therapy program. A good home program of the right exercises will get you moving again and help protect against future injuries.

Right now, swimming is your best bet.

Take care of that ankle! You'll want it to work well when you're older.

8. TheRookie

TheRookie Senior member

I'm getting over something similar. A severe foot sprain that turned into a minor ankle sprain from the weakened foot. It was six weeks before I could run on it without taping. Try a stationary bike and swimming and then elevate/ice/ibuprofen after exercise. You may find this website useful:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_anksprai_rex.htm