• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise Equipment

WalkmanX

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to gain some weight from 175 that I am now to about 185-190 and build some muscle, especially upper body muscle, in the process. I'm 24, 6'3, and tired of being skinny and weak. My ideal physique is not just buff and big but actually strong, fit, healthy, good muscle definition and great stamina. I actually wanna be able to touch my shoulders and run a mile or two.
tounge.gif
I realize I need to eat more to gain weight and plan on doing just that. I also need to do weight training and running. My questions for you all is, what sort of equipment should I purchase to build my ideal physique. My budget is limited $150-250. I was thinking of an adjustable bench with a set of adjustable dumbbells to start off. Do various weight exercises 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week. What are your thoughts, Thanks!

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advise for beginner is that you need to start with compund exercises to build your foundation. These will be squat, deadlift, bench press, also the basic bar ,dumbell shoulder press, barbell curls and skull crusher for tris. I feel home machine is more or less for ppl to maintain the muscle they already have, not to aggressively build muscle with. Do you have access to a gym? Also, from my experience, being around other ppl who work out in a big gym is much easier than try to motivate yourself working out alone.
Just my opinion though, maybe you don't have access to a gym.
In that case, just guy a olympic sized bench (make sure it could also switch to the incline position) and buy a olympic sized 45lbs bar and get some 45, 25 and 10lbs plates. Shouldn't cost you more than 200dollars.

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better SuitingStyle.

Only thing I would add is that you might want to consider shooting for a substantially higher bodyweight.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SartorialSheepdog
Only thing I would add is that you might want to consider shooting for a substantially higher bodyweight.
On that note, keep in mind a recent popular topic here: eat lots of steak.

SuitingStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
On that note, keep in mind a recent popular topic here: eat lots of steak.

and potato, you don't gain weight buy eating protein alone, need LOTS of carb too...........

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Running is great for a limited budget - very little equipment other than shoes.

But, you've got to spend some thought and money on the shoes, especially at your weight - if you get upwards of 180 lbs. - that puts you into the heavier runner category.

If you do much mileage (>3 mi at a run) you should visit a specialty running store to have your gait looked at. The right shoes can make the difference between a happy runner and a nagging injury - especially in the knees.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of links to sites that are devoted to the lifting issue. These links are to the "stickies" that describe different lifting programs.

Elitefitness

Bodybuilding.com

This site is entirely different. Goal is to achieve general strength with fitness. Not much emphasis on size.
Crossfit
Same but with "scaled" workouts: Brand X Martial Arts

SartorialSheepdog

Reaction score
As an alternative, and imho a better approach to building muscle......

Check out www.t-nation.com

Yes, the site drips of testosterone.
Yes, they promote all their own products.
Yes, the site is for bodybuilding and they would jump all the phrasing of your above post.

But, if you are truly tired of being skinny and weak, check them out. Many of the programs there (especially Waterbury's) are top notch.

tsloop

Reaction score
I have a bench, olympic weight set, recumbent bike, treadmill, pretty much all the basics, and my favorite piece of equipment by far is the combination pull up, dip, push up station. It fits in the corner and I can do my 2 favorite exercises, weighted dips and weighted pull ups. For upper body mass those exercises are pretty key, my lats got significantly bigger and tons wider once I started doing wide grip pull ups and the dips helped my chest a lot.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WalkmanX
Hey guys, I'm looking to gain some weight from 175 that I am now to about 185-190 and build some muscle, especially upper body muscle, in the process. I'm 24, 6'3, and tired of being skinny and weak.

My ideal physique is not just buff and big but actually strong, fit, healthy, good muscle definition and great stamina. I actually wanna be able to touch my shoulders and run a mile or two.
tounge.gif

I realize I need to eat more to gain weight and plan on doing just that. I also need to do weight training and running.

My questions for you all is, what sort of equipment should I purchase to build my ideal physique. My budget is limited $150-250. I was thinking of an adjustable bench with a set of adjustable dumbbells to start off. Do various weight exercises 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week.

What are your thoughts, Thanks!

$250 is 8 months worth of a gym membership. I'd forgo buying stuff at home and get a gym membership. Not only do you get the motivation of seeing others work out, people tend to be lethargic when they get home after a long day's work, at least IMO.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my home gym. It has everything you could possibly need to build upper and lower body strenght and size in just a few pieces of equipment:

gym1ln4.jpg

In this picture you see my power rack set up for bench pressing (a power rack is essential if you workout at home by yourself)

gym2fk8.jpg

In this picture you see my power rack set up for squatting. You can also see my pullup/dip tower and my heavy bag in this picture. That's about all you need.

WalkmanX

Reaction score
Okay, after reading different threads at bodybuilding.com, I've decided to try out Rippetoe's program as posted here.

I'm going to start working out tomorrow at my township's gym and follow the M, W, F routine with ab and light cardio on Tuesday and Thursday.

I will see if i can gain 10lbs by December.

Wish me motivation guys,
nod[1].gif

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WalkmanX,

I am not a workout man. However, after reading some of the posts on here about geting more fit, I have been considering it. If I were to start, I too would begin with the Rippetoe program. Fairly simple to implement, uses the compound lifts, and seems to be pretty successful for many beginner lifters.

A couple of items that I'd mention in regards to these programs that I've digested simply from reading:
First, get someone to show you how to safely do the lifts (good form is evidently very important). The Rippetoe book seems highly recommended and is $30. In the same vein, I'd suggest that you start somewhat light in weight to get the form down. Nothing will slow your progress more than a two week layoff from injury.

Second, you will probably have to increase your calorie intake to gain weight. An extra 500 calories a day should put on one pound a week. However, that is 500 above what you are additionaly burning in your workout.

And I do hope that you will post some updates on your progress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads