• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exercise bikes

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Is there any fitness value to be had out of an exercise bike?

Sitting in front of the TV, just... cycling.

Or is it better to just go jogging?

ATM

Reaction score
I'm not an expert but I believe cycling is less strain on your knees than jogging.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you get your heart rate up and work up a sweat, yes there is alot of value.  I used to take cycle classes that were very tough and very good excercise. ATM is right, it is less impact on your knees.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
elliptical trainers are good too, especially if they've got the moving arm handles. i always liked using the ones at the gym that had the pulse readers built-in.

benchan

Reaction score
For full-body workout, I suggest a rowing machine. It doesn't take up much space.

Exercise bike is alright, but there is a catch. For some people their legs get tired before their heart rate reaches 80% of the max value.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For full-body workout, I suggest a rowing machine. It doesn't take up much space.

Exercise bike is alright, but there is a catch. For some people their legs  get tired before their heart rate reaches 80% of the max value.
a good workout on a rower will give you a antastic back, too

MaxTO

Reaction score

Exercise bike is alright, but there is a catch. For some people their legs  get tired before their heart rate reaches 80% of the max value.
That is correct.
Most people do not use the bike correctly...they get on, and watch tv or something while casually cycling...which is better than no exercise, but a lot of time is wasted.
If you go to a spin class, you'll feel the difference. They make you do a lot of sprints etc. to keep your heart rate up there.

My preference of cardio... stairs > treadmill > elliptical > rowing > bike

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
elliptical trainers are good too, especially if they've got the moving arm handles. i always liked using the ones at the gym that had the pulse readers built-in.
I agree - the ellipitcal offers a pretty solid workout, though I hardly ever use it as its a bit 'girly'
eh.gif
Childish of me, I know... Panzer

marc37

Reaction score
l'm not an expert in the  muscle usage during exercise but l can say the following:

Running has a bad impact on the feet. Jogging can damage the feet via jarring.

An exercise bike can be used for developing afew muscle groups (not all but some). For eg, the legs will become stronger.

Please note: if you don't use your muscles, you lose them.

Best way to keep muscle and remain strong is to go to an exercise place that offers PUMP. PUMP exercises all the major muscles in the body. lt is one of the most benificial exercises there is.

lf you want to know more about PUMP just say so. PUMP is great for strenthening the human body. About the best exercise there is.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, I'll bite. what is pump
sarcasm.gif

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
sarcasm.gif
Its drinking one's own urine while simulatneously doing one-handed push ups. The push-ups break down the muscle and provide the appropriate stress to the muscle while the urine simulatneously increases protein absorbtion and nitrogen retention therby increasing muscle mass. Needless to say, only the mid-stream of the urine needs to be consumed. Regards, Panzer

marc37

Reaction score
PUMP is when you lift small weights with your arms and legs and other body parts.You also do sit ups and other different excerises like bending and stretching [while holding light weights]. l do it 3 times a week. ln the first 2 weeks your muscles hurt like hell, but after that time your body gets used to it.

PUMP is just about the best/most efficent exercise there is. lt exercises all the major muscle groups. Give it a try and decide for yourself.

Nick M: go to PUMP in Eltham. My m8 owns the place. His name is Scott. l can't remember the name of the place but it is in Bolton Street, Eltham (just about 500 meters from the Mc Donalds [off sherbourne Road]). PUMP is FAR suppior than a bike and jogging.

marc37

Reaction score
(globetrotter @ June 17 2005,08:40) ok, I'll bite. what is pump
sarcasm.gif
Its drinking one's own urine while simulatneously doing one-handed push ups. The push-ups break down the muscle and provide the appropriate stress to the muscle while the urine simulatneously increases protein absorbtion and nitrogen retention therby increasing muscle mass. Needless to say, only the mid-stream of the urine needs to be consumed. Regards, Panzer
Panzer: stop acting like a D*ckhead. PUMP has amazing results.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ June 17 2005,08:44)
Originally Posted by globetrotter,June 17 2005,08:40
sarcasm.gif

Panzer: stop acting like a D*ckhead. PUMP has amazing results.
I'm sure it is - quite a fancy name for something that's essentially a light aerobic workout, that'll only prove to be effective for the 1st 2-3 weeks as your body adapts to the moderate workload. If you want to get a full body workout do deadlifts, squats etc. followed by some serious aerobic activity like the rock climber, ellipitcal or sprints. Essentially what I'm saying is lift and train like a man (and eat like a man as well). Panzer

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been working with kettlebells for a month or so, which are basically single handled metal balls that weigh from 8 kilo to 32 kilo. instead of lifting in a controled manner a certain number of reps, you basically do a series of excersises that involve lifting it from the floor to above your head, swinging it around your back, etc. but with dozens of reps. I find it very very intense, and highly recomend it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads