• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exchanging and Altered Sportcoat?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Canali sportcoat at full retail, and got the sleeves shortened a 1/4". Before I even took delivery of the altered garment, I spotted a similar Coppeley sportcoat I liked even more for half the price. I asked for an exchange, and they're going to order me a MTM Coppeley instead, but they're being very vague on how I'm going to get the difference refunded. The salesman told me "We'll sort it out once the order with Coppley is confirmed."

I don't mind the prospect of a store credit, and I mentioned that to him, but they're still being vague about it. I'm worried they might demand a re-stocking fee or something like that. It's an independent store with a vague return policy. Does anyone know what the standard practice here is? FYI: I've been a regular customer at this store for years, but not a big spender.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why dont you just ask them.....?

They're probably reasonably annoyed, but i'm assuming right now they're just happy that you're spending money.

If its store credit and you shop there often....its a great excuse to get even more buyers remorse by buying more things
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume that you actually explained to them that you had put the Canali in to have alterations done to it??

If so, then I am surprised that the store will accept the jacket back under any circumstances, although perhaps the fact that the sleeves have only been shortened a little will be to your advantage.

I suspect that a credit is more likely than an outright refund.
To be quite frank, given that you have already had alterations done to the jacket, I think that you're lucky that you're getting any kind of exchange deal, whether a re-stocking fee is charged or not.

extempore

Reaction score
I'm sorry man, but that's really not very cool. I know it's just 0.25", but still, I don't think you should expect anything.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
why dont you just ask them.....?

They're probably reasonably annoyed,

I'm pretty sure the guy is annoyed although he won't say anything about it. That's why I didn't grill him too much about the details of the refund. I just slipped it into the conversation I'd take a store credit, but got no response, so I decided to leave it alone for now. I guess it'll come in due time on Tuesday once the order is confirmed.

Originally Posted by Journeyman
I suspect that a credit is more likely than an outright refund.
To be quite frank, given that you have already had alterations done to the jacket, I think that you're lucky that you're getting any kind of exchange deal, whether a re-stocking fee is charged or not.

I thought it wasn't unheard of for high-end stores to offer such courtesies to long-time customers and eat the loss to maintain the relationship. FWIW, I've actually seen clothes on occassion at their sales that had already been altered, and I've had a nearby tailor tell me he once had a customer come in with a brand new suit from these guys which turned out to be altered for someone else.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Sounds like some josepidal type stuff going on here.
I guess I'm a skittish customer. Does that make me a bad person?
confused.gif
Originally Posted by extempore
I'm sorry man, but that's really not very cool. I know it's just 0.25", but still, I don't think you should expect anything.
What would you do? You find the same thing, except nicer, for $600 less 3 days later?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a skittish customer too Fidel. I make sure I really like something before I buy it. Hardly ever buy anything my first time looking at it, especially if it is a major purchase. Most of what I buy is off ebay though so it's heavily discounted. Don't worry about how they feel, make sure you are taken care of.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day, you are not happy with the first coat. As a "store" they should want to work with you to make you happy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsherman02
Nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day, you are not happy with the first coat. As a "store" they should want to work with you to make you happy.
The store is less likely to be able to sell the coat with the alteration. I wouldn't expect a full refund, if any at all.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I would expect that you may lose something on the deal. They will take a hit on selling the sportcoat now (unless they ar dishonest and just put tags backon and sell as new).

When it comes to these things my motto is " it never hurts to ask". As rule when ever I make a major purchase I always toss out the question "is that the best you can do?" when it comes to the price. I am always nice and pleasent about it. I would say atleast 50% of the time, I find out they can make deal, or toss in something for free, or tell me to come back next week as they have a sale on.

You didn't do anythign wrong by asking, I wouldn't have been suprised if they said no, but it looks like it worked out for you.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think it would be best just to see what they want to offer you, and next time avoid such spontaneous buying which led you to buyers remorse.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i think it would be best just to see what they want to offer you, and next time avoid such spontaneous buying which led you to buyers remorse.

I blame the marketing machine.
devil.gif

What happened to josepidal? I'm curious now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads