• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

exchange rate blues

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is anyone else shopping being affected by the weak dollar at the moment. Buying from the UK is so much more expensive than it was say, six months ago. All the more reason to delay getting those Lobbs.....

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When the pound costs more than $1.80, I stop most of my buying until it falls.

Withdrawing support from the pound brings it down fairly quickly. :)

What hurts the most is spending what you think is x on a new order and having it actually cost 1.5x or even 2x (that happened to me once) because of currency shifts while you waited.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh well, the dollar really has plummeted. No JLs from Sausages for me....

trogdor

Reaction score

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today's rate: 1 GBP = 1.96877 USD

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wonder if Oxxford and Hickey Freeman are selling more overseas with the currently weaker dollar? Anyone have an opinion?

Glyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Is anyone else shopping being affected by the weak dollar at the moment. Buying from the UK is so much more expensive than it was say, six months ago. All the more reason to delay getting those Lobbs.....

Hey, think on the bright side. It means those of us in the UK can buy cheaply from America

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I wonder if Oxxford and Hickey Freeman are selling more overseas with the currently weaker dollar? Anyone have an opinion?

'sfunny -- I was just thinking that a new pair of AEs from their website seems like a good deal, even at full retail: $305 = €229!

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Glyn
Hey, think on the bright side. It means those of us in the UK can buy cheaply from America

The weakness of the American dollar is almost enough to make up for the sharp spike in shipping to get something over the Canadian border.
At least if we had a customs union I could drive down and load my trunk up.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an American friend who works in London and earns pounds. She, coincidentally (or not) is a currencies trader, and just bought a very nice condo in Chicago as an investment... The exchange rate isn't bad for everyone..

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I have an American friend who works in London and earns pounds. She, coincidentally (or not) is a currencies trader, and just bought a very nice condo in Chicago as an investment... The exchange rate isn't bad for everyone..
No.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%