1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

exchange rate blues

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chobochobo, Sep 12, 2006.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Is anyone else shopping being affected by the weak dollar at the moment. Buying from the UK is so much more expensive than it was say, six months ago. All the more reason to delay getting those Lobbs.....

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

mind me asking what was the exchange rate for USD compared to british pounds and the euro 6 months ago?

3. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

When the pound costs more than $1.80, I stop most of my buying until it falls.

Withdrawing support from the pound brings it down fairly quickly. :)

What hurts the most is spending what you think is x on a new order and having it actually cost 1.5x or even 2x (that happened to me once) because of currency shifts while you waited.

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Oh well, the dollar really has plummeted. No JLs from Sausages for me.... [​IMG]

5. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

6. william

william Senior member

Today's rate: 1 GBP = 1.96877 USD

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I wonder if Oxxford and Hickey Freeman are selling more overseas with the currently weaker dollar? Anyone have an opinion?

8. Glyn

Glyn New Member

Is anyone else shopping being affected by the weak dollar at the moment. Buying from the UK is so much more expensive than it was say, six months ago. All the more reason to delay getting those Lobbs.....

Hey, think on the bright side. It means those of us in the UK can buy cheaply from America [​IMG]

9. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

I wonder if Oxxford and Hickey Freeman are selling more overseas with the currently weaker dollar? Anyone have an opinion?

'sfunny -- I was just thinking that a new pair of AEs from their website seems like a good deal, even at full retail: $305 = €229!

10. Jared

Jared Senior member

Hey, think on the bright side. It means those of us in the UK can buy cheaply from America [​IMG]
    The weakness of the American dollar is almost enough to make up for the sharp spike in shipping to get something over the Canadian border. [​IMG] At least if we had a customs union I could drive down and load my trunk up.

11. briancl

briancl Senior member

I have an American friend who works in London and earns pounds. She, coincidentally (or not) is a currencies trader, and just bought a very nice condo in Chicago as an investment... The exchange rate isn't bad for everyone..

12. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have an American friend who works in London and earns pounds. She, coincidentally (or not) is a currencies trader, and just bought a very nice condo in Chicago as an investment... The exchange rate isn't bad for everyone..
    No.