1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Exchange program with women's style forums

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Jun 5, 2005.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i say we have a contest with a women's fashion/style forum. we let them dress up a man and a woman, and we'll dress up a man and a woman, and then we'll have a vote to see who did a better job.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think so. Â Clothing has always been "ornamental" and not just practical. Â Part of the imepetus behind the suit was that it was more comfortable than what it replaced, but only a small part. Â Other factors were more important. "Casual Friday" and "business causal" are driven much more by a desire to shuck off all restraint, formality, and form. Â The prior clothing revolutions not only stopped well short of that; the people who drove them would have rejected the very idea. Â Whether the ideas they did push nonetheless contain the seed of something they hated is a hard question. Â I'm not sure which side I would come out on. Â Perhaps a qualified "yes."

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

While this would be fun, I have a feeling that voters would be as divided as the American electorate, and the result of the vote as meaningful.

4. Manton

It would also cost a lot of money.

5. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

An interesting discussion.

In the legal field in the Midwest, while casual Friday has crept into other days of the week, if you're meeting clients it's still suits (or at least a coat/trousers). Since most men would rather not coordinate a coat/trousers beyond the blue blazer/tan realm, they default to suits. Ditto for the bankers and insurance people I know.

While I recognize that even the above paragraph represents a slide toward casual clothes from the near past, I have a hard time believing that the death of the suit is imminent in the midwest.

Having said that, I hear that in California that's not the case, and that even bankers and lawyers are casual all the time. I read somewhere that Hollywood types are turned off by pitches delivered by men in suits (it apparently confirms the suit-wearer is an outsider).

The question is whether the silent majority will follow California.

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And judging from the responses in this thread, it would be quite bitter too.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have to say that I never really trust a guy who is wearing a conservative suit and tie for no particular reason - my automatic instinct is that he would like to sell me something, and that if I'm not careful, my wallet and I could be parting ways, and soon. Andre 3000 and Franz Ferdinand imitators are something else altogether. Just my personal prejudice, of course. Everybody feels a little more comfortable around members of their own tribe.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

My limited experience litigating in California would indicate that the trend to casual may be limited more to the entertainment industry. In the civil rights field and in litigation involving governmental operations, most of the folk were dressed in a typical business fashion. (Experiences including Sacramento, SF, LA, and San Diego.)

On the question of women's input, I agree with the observation that most men also would not provide useful contributions. I think Jill, though, is ample proof that the problem we describe is hardly gender based. She has extensive knowledgeable and has great judgment (far better than mine I know.)

I have noticed my wife can be very hit-or-miss. She has excellent color and pattern matching and loves high-quality men's shoes. She immediately got it on what distinguishes high -end men's shirts from lower-end. On the other hand, she had a real love for the Miami Vice look and tends not to prefer double-vented suits and sports coats.

9. Manton

Government is always the last to give up on any form of clothing, and the courts always the last within the government. English judges and barristers still wear wigs. The U.S. Solicitor General still must wear a morning coat to the Supreme Court.

10. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

Marc and Manton:

I wasn't clear enough. I was speaking about office dress (that is, lawyers who aren't going to court or depositions).
    I think it'll be a very long time before male attorneys don't have to wear jackets in the courtroom.

While I've sometimes encountered a sole practioner casually dressed at a deposition, those were few and far-between.

And if we're talking about government; well, let's just say that many of them are glad to have Flusser on their side re: the short-sleeve 'dress' shirt.

11. novalis

novalis Senior member

Matador, I like the idea. Â Unfortunately, I think we'll see an overly dramatized version of this matchup in an upcoming reality tv show very shortly.

12. novalis

novalis Senior member

This would be my supposition as well. I think a number of women could provide great advice on color and pattern matching and perhaps other areas involving shape and proportion. The ability to provide sound advice in such areas is, I imagine, independent of sex.

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

Is there a women's equivalent of Style Forum or Ask Andy?

What is the url?

14. thinman

thinman Senior member

(marc237 @ June 06 2005,13:35) She has excellent color and pattern matching and loves high-quality men's shoes.
    This would be my supposition as well. I think a number of women could provide great advice on color and pattern matching and perhaps other areas involving shape and proportion. The ability to provide sound advice in such areas is, I imagine, independent of sex.
    I agree. Even if I accept the assumption that women know less than men in general about men's clothing, many women I know are great at color and pattern matching. This is an area where I need all the help I can get.

15. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here I was expecting a thread about women, and instead am reading all about rules and architecture [​IMG] [​IMG] On a more serious note - My observation is that most women focus on fabric/color when dressing men. Unfortunately the result, IMO, usually comes across as... feminine. Plus they tend to pay only superficial attention to cut/fit. The result could be a step up for really hopeless cases. But for everyone else, learn to dress yourself.. Another danger - if a woman dresses guy, then tells him how amazing he looks, he is going to believe it. Whether he looks good or not. All that being said, I still enjoy hearing a woman's opinion, and think that more female members on the board would be a good thing.
    Don't tempt me [​IMG]

16. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

You must refer to the streetwear forum people.

17. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Do men who don't like suits buy cheap ones and men who like suits buy expensive ones (possibly MTM/bespoke)? Or do men who buy cheap suits dislike them and men who buy expensive suits (possibly MTM/bespoke) like them?

Mathieu

18. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

A Harris wrote:

Sounds like the female salesperson practice of saying "you look GREAT in that..."

After which you buy three pair of cargo pants, and matching stripeys.

If SF has taught me nothing else, it has taught me to avoid that trap.

19. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

To avoid women or cargo pants?

20. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I can't even think of one to be honest, there's a forum called the Fashion Spot, which tends to focus on designers, trends and an assortment of other fashion related items. It's not the greatest, but you tend to get a lot of knowledgeable posters appreicate the aesthetic first, brand second.

Many of the women's magazines have forums, but they tend to be dominated with posts related to Chloe Silverado bags or whatever Nicole Ritchie and Jessica Simpson are wearing. Conde Nast made an attempt to clean up the GQ forum (I know people here will bash the forum and liken it to a high school experience), but the Vogue one is still unorganized and useless.

I don't even think most women, even those at the top of their game are very much into bespoke clothing and shoes. Is there even a history like there is with menswear? Besides haute couture, which some believe is a dying art, I don't see it. Women's clothing (due to its versatility) tends to be more about fashion.