• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessively bending sole (AE Park Avenues)

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Your trees are crap. They're not filling the shoe and they're not keeping the sole from curling up. That what we all told you the first time around.

davidsj

Reaction score
With all due respect, the trees may be crap now, but they weren't when I first got the shoes. I got the shoes at Saks along with heavy expensive cedar trees, which I carefully placed in the shoes when I wasn't wearing them. The shoes however would lose their form throughout the day, to the point where after a day of use the toe would be curved up just like in the picture. I figured the shoes were goners so I removed the nice cedar trees for my other shoes, and put in cheap ones.

I wish my problem was as simple as needing decent shoe trees. Like I said, NONE of my other shoes have this problem.

triax37

Reaction score
deleted post - nevermind...didn't realize the OP's current crappy trees were different than the "good ones."

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triax37
Not to beat on another newbie, but in one breath you say that your shoe trees are "nice cedar ones," and in the same page you say they are "crap."

I think you should stick with the second story, go buy some real shoe trees, and let them sit in your shoes for a few days. I did this with a pair of shoes that was a little "curled up," and the leather stretched out again and the shoes are now straight. Good luck!

He used good trees.

They didn't help.

He replaced with **** trees.

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
He used good trees.

They didn't help.

He replaced with **** trees.

Yes thank you. Shoe trees are quite expensive and when I got new shoes, I thought I could recoup my losses from my Park Avenues somewhat by removing the nice trees and replacing them with crappy ones.

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I honestly think it is from the shoe being too long... Many people size down 1/2 size and up a width in the PA. I typically wear a 9D, but I take a 8.5E in the PA. A 9D width is fine for me, but it is too long.

Hrm you might be right. I tried on a 9D at first and it was way too uncomfortable around my toes. Maybe a 9E would have been better.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You only wear them in the rain and snow? there's your answer.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj
Yes thank you. Shoe trees are quite expensive and when I got new shoes, I thought I could recoup my losses from my Park Avenues somewhat by removing the nice trees and replacing them with crappy ones.

You returned or sold the nice trees? Otherwise, how did you recoup your losses?

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
You returned or sold the nice trees? Otherwise, how did you recoup your losses?

I needed to get shoe trees for my news shoes. Rather than purchasing new ones, I just took them from the Park Avenues and put cheap ones in their place :p

It's really sad in the beginning I really took good care of them, but after the toe started going awry I just couldn't stand the way they looked on my feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads