• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excess Fabric on sides of back of jacket

Reaction score
Hello everyone, am new to this forum so apologies if I'm posting this query in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I noticed excess fabric in both sides of the back of the suit jacket I tried on.

The Sales associate told me the in house tailor would remove the armholes and take in the excess fabric.

He used pins to demonstrate how the end result would appear.

Based on your experience, how do-able is this alteration? IMG_20181207_084936.jpg IMG_20181206_193931.jpg

Reaction score
Hi,

shouldn't be an issue at all, I had this done to two of my jackets. It of course slightly reduces mobility, but it does look cleaner that way.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That excess needs to slightly come off the front, too. Did you not try the next size down?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The waist and chest aren't clean, most notably to the side of the chest pocket, there's a bulge because it is too big for you. Sleeves also slightly too long. It really does look to me like you need the next size down.

Many shops offer you a size moderately too big for you because it is easier for them to tailor it down than vice versa.

Reaction score
The waist and chest aren't clean, most notably to the side of the chest pocket, there's a bulge because it is too big for you. Sleeves also slightly too long. It really does look to me like you need the next size down.

Many shops offer you a size moderately too big for you because it is easier for them to tailor it down than vice versa.

Unfortunately their next size down would result in a truly ill fitting suit - the lapels would buckle, back would be tight, pants would make skinny jeans look regular.. the only saving grace would be the sleeves would be just about right length wise.

In fact, in the photo of the front of the jacket, it may be hard to see but there already is a slight buckling in the lapels.

Do you reckon the tailor could remedy issue with the excess fabric in the suit above?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps there is another cut that would work better for you. I agree with the others that this jacket looks too big. A competent tailor can of course correct many of the issues, but I wouldn't buy something that needs this much work right off the rack.

This shop looks like it might be Suit Supply, in which case they have a couple of different models to choose from. I would start there and see if you can find a better fit.

Reaction score
Perhaps there is another cut that would work better for you. I agree with the others that this jacket looks too big. A competent tailor can of course correct many of the issues, but I wouldn't buy something that needs this much work right off the rack.

This shop looks like it might be Suit Supply, in which case they have a couple of different models to choose from. I would start there and see if you can find a better fit.

Have tried their other fits ie Sienna, Lazio, Havana & Washington and oddly in my opinion I thought the Napoli had the closest thing to a good fit..

Usually I go custom because I'm very particular about fit but the Napoli at its price point, Super 110 wool, and half canvas construction was tempting as a work horse suit.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads