Excellent article on quarter-life crisis

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MetroStyles, May 9, 2009.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Manton makes $200k...over a three year period. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

OK Manton, I have got to ask.. Who/What is that in your avatar?

3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

OK Manton, I have got to ask.. Who/What is that in your avatar?

It is Alain Ducasse, a famous chef, and a very large (and therefore very expensive) truffle.

4. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

What's wrong with a corporate career paying six-figures in your 20's?

I'd love to work for Goldman. Proverbially, that's like growing up to pitch for the Yankees.

It is Alain Ducasse, a famous chef, and a very large (and therefore very expensive) truffle.

[​IMG]
    The full-size is even funnier.

5. Manton

What's wrong with a corporate career paying six-figures in your 20's?

I'd love to work for Goldman. Proverbially, that's like growing up to pitch for the Yankees.

There's nothing wrong with it. I just find the notion that such jobs are so plentiful for 20-somethings as to be "fallbacks" pretty laughable. $200,000 puts you in the top 5% of all US earners, I believe, so there can't be many of these jobs for any age group, much less people in their 20s.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I like Ducasse's specs.

7. dusty

dusty Senior member

This should not be made out to be about money

8. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Thank you. Carry on.

9. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

There's nothing wrong with it. I just find the notion that such jobs are so plentiful for 20-somethings as to be "fallbacks" pretty laughable. $200,000 puts you in the top 5% of all US earners, I believe, so there can't be many of these jobs for any age group, much less people in their 20s.

The question was addressed towards Metro and the other "follow your heart and dreams" types.

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Did you read the linked article? Something tells me that all the folks described, would gladly sell their soul for 200k / year. I think part of their problem is they are not making nearly as much as they figure they should/would, and this is leading to much of their confusion and aimlessness. The reason so many feel they need to "keep their options open," is due to the thought that at any moment, if only they are flexible enough, this 200k (or more) job might be theirs.

11. Manton

Did you read the linked article? Something tells me that all the folks described, would gladly sell their soul for 200k / year. I think part of their problem is they are not making nearly as much as they figure they should/would, and this is leading to much of their confusion and aimlessness. The reason so many feel they need to "keep their options open," is due to the thought that at any moment, if only they are flexible enough, this 200k (or more) job might be theirs.
    My unscientific, uninformed opinion holds that what few $200,000 jobs there are in the world are mostly quite dull. These people would not feel fulfilled by them, their angst would just get a new object.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

Oops, hit post before I realized I didn't really want to make another post.

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

My unscientific, uninformed opinion holds that what few $200,000 jobs there are in the world are mostly quite dull. These people would not feel fulfilled by them, their angst would just get a new object.

Pimpin' ain't easy.

14. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I think people tend to romanticize some choices more than others. When I was young(er) and stupid(er) I also thought shit like "why would anyone wanna work for the man when you can run your own business" and so on. However, nothing is ever that simple.

15. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I live in what I am pretty sure is the highest paying job market in the US, and I find the idea that "fallback jobs" for people in their 20s start at $200K to be laughable. But I am old, and probably out of touch.

Well, at the firm I am working at now...if you come in from B-School and do well for two-three years, you are making 200k easy. Yes, post-crisis.

I really dislike it when people say stupid shit like that...

Most corporate jobs, especially in finance, are soulless. Denying it is pointless. This coming from someone who has experience in the field, not a Che Guevara worshipping liberal arts fag.