• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

example of 7-fold unlined grenadine from men's ex

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tumblr_lkew5aUUZj1qfex1b.png

hober - what do you think?

mic

Reaction score
I don't know, but I think I want that whole jpeg on an SF-branded tee shirt.

Oh, wait, nobody here wears tee shirts with designs. Forget it.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did some one not post a Borrelli sevenfold knit in the 'Post your Number one tie' thread?
I seam to recall falling for it quite heavily. Any one know the maker of this one? I asked on my tumblr, but have no responses yet.
-TTO

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Id be curious to see this knotted. It looks pretty, but I cant see it functioning all that well.

Here's a picture of it knotted.

2j4ronk.jpg

Also, I think it's a six fold?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
tumblr_lkew5aUUZj1qfex1b.png
Hober - what do you think?

ThinkDerm, Sadly I can't read Japanese as it would be interesting to read a translation - perhaps one of the forum members would be kind enough to post a translation? The tie seems to be an untipped grenadine garza grossa 6-fold. The different style of fabric on the edge is normal for grenadine silk on a roll. In this case the maker chose to not cut it off for stylistic reasons and/or to save money. Is it completely unlined? Anything is possible but it is unlikely - even if the article says it is unlined it is unlikely. Recently a friend sent me an old Brooks Brother grenadine to look at, as he thought that it was unlined. It was not - it was an untipped grenadine that had the interlining start just out of sight above the tipping area. Can an unlined grenadine be made? Yes. But why, would be my question. A grenadine weave is a loose weave to start with and without an interlining how would it hold up over time? I am not confident that it would be an enduring classic tie, that would make our clients happy. And making classic luxury ties is our business. With all that said, I am a good listener and if a client was absolutely certain that they wanted an unlined 7-fold and understood clearly the sartorial risks involved - we could consider it.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thereyouhaveit
^ Fermo Fossati 4-fold tie in fresco with selvedge tips
thereyouhaveit, Thank you for the translation. Interesting another friend just translated it to be similar to what you read, although he said that the reference to folds was in Italian "quattro pieghe" Although the detailed inset photo is not a 4-fold as you can see by counting the folds. So either the article is incorrect or the detailed photo is of a different tie. This is normal for writers about clothes to get technical details slightly mixed up as unless you actually make clothes it can be confusing. The reference to Fermo Fossati would strongly suggest a grenadine also. Did anyone who reads Japanese see a mention of the interlining? The maker does not seem to be mentioned in the 2nd half of the article perhaps it was in the 1st half.. Jacket Belvest. Shirt Borelli. Frames Clayton Franklin. Belt United Arrows. However, no mention of the tie maker. It must be in the missing half of the article. No mention of the interlining either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads