• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ex-smokers: how did you do it?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to quit this summer. I just tried cold-turkey down from a pack a day, and lasted exactly one weekend (during which my girlfriend and I got in no fewer than 4 withdrawal-induced arguments over nothing in particular), until now when I broke down and bought a pack. Strike one.

Any success-stories would be much appreciated.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it was more of a bad habit rather than addiction. I don't know, I don't think I experienced withdrawals like that. I had been smoking for around 5 years (16 - 22) about a pack a day.

That being said, I quit cold-turkey. All I did was think about what a waste the past 1 week of quits would be, and then the past 1 month..and now when I consider a cigarette, I think about what a waste the past 2 years would be. Keeping myself busy w/ sports also helped

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
For me, it was more of a bad habit rather than addiction. I don't know, I don't think I experienced withdrawals like that. I had been smoking for around 5 years (16 - 22) about a pack a day. That being said, I quit cold-turkey. All I did was think about what a waste the past 1 week of quits would be, and then the past 1 month..and now when I consider a cigarette, I think about what a waste the past 2 years would be. Keeping myself busy w/ sports also helped
Yeah, I think it was sitting around all weekend doing nothing that killed my first attempt. Sunday NYT + coffee - cigarette made me want to kill people. I may need to take up knitting or something to keep my hands busy...

ted

Reaction score
Vary your routine from what you usually do and wear the patch. Get the patch with three levels high, medium and low. I smoked a pack a day for over 10 years and have now gone two years with out a smoke. Yeah it's hard, also get a buddy to talk to. Good luck, you'll be amazed how much better you feel and how much money you save.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Here's a random list of wisdom I have accumulated based on my own experience with quitting:

The more you really want to quit, the easier it is. If you are quitting for a "practical reason" (your girlfriend doesn't like it, it's expensive, whatever) you'll have a harder time. Hopefully, you really want to quit.

Stay busy for the first few days. Once you have a little experience you may be able to sense quitting-induced anger. It was very tangible for me, so when I could feel frustration building in me for no reason, I was able to calm down.

After a little while (a few days to a week) you'll start feeling pretty good. Air will taste better, breathing will be easier. Focus on how good it feels to feel good all the time.

Do something healthy while you quit: eat right, go running, whatever. This will amplify that feeling.

Catch a whiff of someone who smokes - he/she will probably smell terrible to you.

I went cold-turkey. Once I had my head in the right place, the physical cravings were easier to ignore. YMMV

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wellbutrin, time release.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Joel, The best of luck to you. I've quit smoking probably about 100 times in my life and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Finally, about two months ago I read this book and have not had a cigarette since...after 25 years of pack-a-day+. It wasn't necessarily easy as much as it was a conscious decision. There is a lot of good advice in this thread but my recommendation would be to invest $15 in this book before trying any nicotine alternatives, prescriptions, etc. Again, good luck...this is a decision that could save your life.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
Joel, The best of luck to you. I've quit smoking probably about 100 times in my life and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Finally, about two months ago I read this book and have not had a cigarette since...after 25 years of pack-a-day+. It wasn't necessarily easy as much as it was a conscious decision. There is a lot of good advice in this thread but my recommendation would be to invest $15 in this book before trying any nicotine alternatives, prescriptions, etc. Again, good luck...this is a decision that could save your life.

+1000 for the Easyways book. First, you have to want to quit. Then, read the book. I quit last December and feel great. I was smoking a pack a day for 20 years.

For me, the key points were:
-Smoking is cool? Sure, but I smoked for 20 years. I'm cool enough, what's another few years going to prove. And, actually, smoking really isn't very cool anymore. Look around...the smokers are the UNcool ones.
-Quitting is difficult? Not really. Just DON'T smoke. Actually, smoking is much more difficult than NOT smoking.

In other words, it is all about your mind-set.

Best of luck but it is certainly do-able.

My other recommendations: don't use a patch or other nicotine replacement as you will have to quit those too. Don't start eating mints or such. Don't cease to go to bars or otherwise enjoy your life. Do everything you used to do the same. Just don't smoke.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just think of all the clothes you could buy with the money saved.
devil.gif

coatandthai

Reaction score
I quit several times, once using silver nitrate aversion therapy (chew silver nitrate gum and it makes cigarettes taste horrible). That lasted several years. More recently when I promised my daughter I would quit and I did it cold-turkey. That's been a good 7+ years. One of the hardest things you can do, but I think avoid alcohol while you're trying to quit is important.

Or you can always paint your ceiling like this:

ceiling.gif

Reaction score
I've been clean of them for about six months now and truth be told it wasn't easy.

I had bought a back and brought it with me while visiting my family during the Christmas season and by the end of the break I found that I still had about 5-6 left. I had wanted to quit for awhile and took this opportunity to simply leave the smokes at home. Since I live out of province, I knew I wouldn't have a chance to pick up that pack again for quite a long time. After I left I was a little agitated without having a smoke and wanted to go buy another pack but I couldn't justify spending on another when I still had an unfinished pack out there. Oddly enough that's worked for me and as time went on my desire for a smoke has greatly decreased.

Best of luck to you man, it's a difficult process but in the end one that will better you health wise.

Omega Man

Reaction score
Hey Joel,

I hear you. It is pretty tough.
I know you are a frag connoisseur, do it for your nose.
If you have any children or plan to have them, do it for them.
If you want to live a little longer and harvest what you have sown, do it for your health.

I quit for about 7 years now since my son was born. My sense of smell isn't great to begin with because I have allergies.

It gets easier once the ball gets rolling.

Good luck.

AnotherVictim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toiletduck
For me, it was more of a bad habit rather than addiction. I don't know, I don't think I experienced withdrawals like that. I had been smoking for around 5 years (16 - 22) about a pack a day.

That being said, I quit cold-turkey. All I did was think about what a waste the past 1 week of quits would be, and then the past 1 month..and now when I consider a cigarette, I think about what a waste the past 2 years would be. Keeping myself busy w/ sports also helped

Here's what's helping me to cut-down/quit: $$

I'll use toiletduck's quote as an example. Supposing the average pack I buy costs $4.50 USD, and at 365 packs a year, thats $1642.50 a year on nicotene. That would make it $8212.5, enough to buy a decent used car.
plain.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what Alter said is true.

The only way to stop smoking is ... stop smoking..

That's it... Go Cold Turkey. drink a lot of water until your body doesn't show anymore withdrawal symptoms...

I smoked I pack a day for years, tried to stop many times... once I got a bronchitis very strong, that forced me to not smoke for a week, I had a very high fever so I had to drink a lot of water in the process, when I was healed I didn't start to smoke again...

After one year or so I picked up a cigarrette at a party... it was disgusting... so I never picked up another ever. I now dislike the smoke and the smell of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads