• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ex Owes Me Money...

Autoclave

Reaction score
The ex owes me approximately $1200 that I loaned her in the middle of the summer to pay for rent, etc. She has the money, but just refuses to give it to me. We're barely on speaking terms.

A few tidbits about ex:
1. She's borderline
2. She's a compulsive liar
3. I walked in on her sleeping with another guy

#1 is probably apparent to anyone who talks to her for more than 5 minutes. I wasn't aware of #2 until after I loaned her money. #3 is sad, true, and totally irrelevant.

So tell me SF, any suggestions for getting this money back or is it a lost cause? I'm broke right now so any help is appreciated.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you did not get the fact that you loaned her money in writing, then you are SOL. If I were you I'd cut my losses, and revel in the fact that you could have married the bitch and wound up in a far worse situation.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ex owes you money? Don't they always? I'm afraid you are SOL. Your best bet might be to take $1200 worth of stuff from her to sell.

Reaction score
It's gone, sorry.

FWIW I did once have an ex owe me money and I got it by pointing out that I had a couple of emails from when I loaned it to her (written in friendly lovey-dovey terms at the time, but still making the point). That was basically dumb luck though, such matters would normally be dealt with verbally, but I was traveling a lot at the time and so we had swapped some emails that turned out to be pretty useful. I threatened small claims court with her and pointed out what was pretty clearly agreed in writing, and that I was willing to pursue the matter.

- Matt

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Posting her naked pics online would be the best way to get even.

Seriously, I don't think you have a chance of getting it back, sorry. Do you have anything of hers that you can dispose? Other than that possibility, just move on. Consider it an expensive life lesson learned.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky. My own ex owes considerably more and I will never see the money. I had the thing written down but months later, while she happened to be in my room in my absence, she actually rummaged through my things to find the paper and throw it away.

Reaction score
*sigh*

I met her. She seemed so nice.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got any compromising pictures / dirt on her?

Blackmail can do wonders for your financial situation.

K

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Beat it out of her.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Beat it out of her.
hmm Having met both Etienne and his ex, and knowing a little about the fight game, push comes to shove, I'm betting on her. He's just too damn nice to bring the pain.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, in theory, now that she has your money, as long as you bring it up every chance you get, she'll probably leave you alone forever.

So, to get rid of a lying, borderline cheater, 1200 seems like a good deal.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 84 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 160 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 79 16.2%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 41 8.4%