• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ex-bike messenger turned designer looking for daily wear suggestions

elliottw

Reaction score
so i used to wear jeans, chuck taylors, and a zip cardigan everyday, but now that i have my own company and have some meetings, i need to step it up again. the only problem is that i still want to ride my bike to work, which means slacks are out of the question, and shoes would get seriously scuffed on the bike ride ride in to work. any suggestion for good daily wear shoes that would endure a good beating?

as for pants, i've been thinking of these:
http://outlier.cc/

just looking for suggestions on clothes that look better than jeans and sneakers but are still sporty enough to handle a good agressive bike ride every morning.

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elliottw
so i used to wear jeans, chuck taylors, and a zip cardigan everyday, but now that i have my own company and have some meetings, i need to step it up again. the only problem is that i still want to ride my bike to work, which means slacks are out of the question, and shoes would get seriously scuffed on the bike ride ride in to work. any suggestion for good daily wear shoes that would endure a good beating? as for pants, i've been thinking of these: http://outlier.cc/ just looking for suggestions on clothes that look better than jeans and sneakers but are still sporty enough to handle a good agressive bike ride every morning.
I've been wondering about this as well. I've come to the conclusion for all sorts of reasons (especially when it approaches summer) that it's actually best to get changed somewhere. Oh yeah, thanks for the link. I might get a couple of pairs of pants from there just in case.

emptym

Reaction score
For shoes, I love Ron Rider's shell chukka's w/ rubber soles. There's a thread on them here and the website here. Very expensive, but worth it, imo. Any good leather shoe w/ rubber soles is fine though. Good leather on a pair of dress shoes will be much more durable than sneakers. For pants, I'd use a light pair of nylon windbreaker pants over normal cotton or wool pants. That'd protect them from dust and the occasional spray. On days w/ heavy rain I'd use waterproof overpants. On hot days, I'd use pants that look like normal chinos but are made of nylon, poly, or some blend w/ cotton. They are strong in a fall, easy to wash, and hard to crease. You can get them at from outdoors companies like Patagonia and Nau, travel companies like Ex Officio, or even mall stores like Banana Republic -- and of course at thrift stores. One advantage of low boots like Ron's chukkas is that they protect one's ankle from wind and rain. RM William's chelseas w/ rubber soles would be a great, cheaper alternative.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40