• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everything but denim

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,192
Reaction score
5
I know it's hard to believe guys, but, denim is not appropriate for all occasions. Don't get me wrong, I love my jeans as much as the next guy but there is more out there. So let's discuss it.

I am currently looking for a slim pair of pants that I can wear casually and in a situation where jeans might not be acceptable.

Can anyone provide me with some insight or point me in the direction of some brands that are doing this right?
 

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2006
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,061
I was at Barney's last night checking out the dregs from f/w and there are some really nice slim trousers in a variety of fabrics still there for less than $100: pringle, co-op, acne, incotex, trovata, etc. In my wardrobe, my favorites are a pair from rugby for the winter (pic) and uniqlo for summer (pic).
 

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 28, 2005
Messages
3,293
Reaction score
4
I'm going to try and pick up a pair of Jil trousers each season. I absolutely love the stretch ones. Fabric is great, fit is great (they are slim with a 19cm leg opening). Price... not so great. I only have burgundy pair right now though.

Raf does some too, but his pants are even slimmer (a bit too slim in the thigh for me) in my experience. Raf x Fred Perry had nice trousers last season.

Margiela also does really nice trousers and has a few different cuts.

Haha, that's pretty much every brand that I beast over. Burberry trousers look really nice this season too.
 

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
4,192
Reaction score
5
Lol. All those brands would most likely require me to take a second mortgage on my home.
 

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
13,767
Reaction score
2,935
+1 on this thread.

Anyone know any brands that make slim/skinny fitting chinos/cords/twills? The cheaper, the better, too.
 

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
10,191
Reaction score
6,393
I got my UVC's that I mail ordered for about a total of $45. They are not super slim but they are nice feeling and I like the construction of them.
 

hi-val

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Messages
418
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
+1 on this thread.

Anyone know any brands that make slim/skinny fitting chinos/cords/twills? The cheaper, the better, too.


Jcrew is you friend on this one. If you get on their email lists, you'll frequently get 20% off offers or free shipping. Their classic fit is slim(mer) and they give a 15% student discount if you go to a store and buy something and mention the discount.
 

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
6,370
Reaction score
57
Jcrew are slimmer than dockers or most other mall brands, but still very baggy imo.

I think that BDG, Levis, and H&M are all making great skinny chinos for just at or less than 55$.

I love my 511's, they fit perfect and can be worn to church/formal events, or to informal events. I wore mine with an OCBD and longwings and felt fit to a t, went home changed into chucks and felt good also.

If you have an UO in your area you might check out their sales rack, I got a pair of blue ones for 9.99. I think that some of the BDG chinos are on sale also.

The AA chinos are nice, but quite a bit pricier and the QC with AA stuff is a tad inconsistent pair to pair IMO.
 

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
13,767
Reaction score
2,935
Originally Posted by hi-val
Jcrew is you friend on this one. If you get on their email lists, you'll frequently get 20% off offers or free shipping. Their classic fit is slim(mer) and they give a 15% student discount if you go to a store and buy something and mention the discount.

Thanks for the input. But I'm not a big fan of J. Crew or other mall brands. They are still too boxy and wide for my liking, considering I have a lanky frame.
 

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Oct 20, 2008
Messages
13,767
Reaction score
2,935
Originally Posted by robbie
Jcrew are slimmer than dockers or most other mall brands, but still very baggy imo.

I think that BDG, Levis, and H&M are all making great skinny chinos for just at or less than 55$.

I love my 511's, they fit perfect and can be worn to church/formal events, or to informal events. I wore mine with an OCBD and longwings and felt fit to a t, went home changed into chucks and felt good also.

If you have an UO in your area you might check out their sales rack, I got a pair of blue ones for 9.99. I think that some of the BDG chinos are on sale also.

The AA chinos are nice, but quite a bit pricier and the QC with AA stuff is a tad inconsistent pair to pair IMO.


What's BDG? I also think the Levis 511s would fit perfect. Too bad they don't stock them anymore on their online site.

****.
 

cchen

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2006
Messages
3,468
Reaction score
1,392
like I already posted, INCOTEX and UNIQLO VINTAGE CHINO
both can be found cheap and are slim
 

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 87 37.7%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 25 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 36 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads
506,634
Messages
10,590,990
Members
224,297
Latest member
vmanrob
Top