• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyone's Second Favorite Game - Is It or Isn't It SPREZZATURA (pics and comments)

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah spezzatura. The definition of which will be debated well into the next century, or at least as long as there is the internet. So, lets discuss this element of men's dress, pointing out which particular looks are spezzed up, and what makes them that way. Started from WAYWT pic:

IMG_7222-1.jpg

Discuss, and please add more pics of what you think is spezz, and why.

Trifon

Reaction score
Sprezzatura. How come so many misspell it btw?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that, but you seem to wear it with an uncaring ease. Isn't that what sprez is all about?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As to sprez, it's best understood as a dÃ
00a9.png
gagÃ
00a9.png
element in an otherwise "correct" ensemble. If everything about the outfit is unconventional, casual, whatever, it's something else entirely. And honestly, this picture is really bad. I didn't want to get into that in the other thread, but the color and fade of the jeans, the hole in the thigh, the shirt collar, the jacket, the overall drab and unharmonious color scheme...this is no bueno. You've posted much better, and that's not saying much. I'm sure there's such a thing as casual sprezzatura, but again, you'd start with something conventional and then go from there. I still think it's best to think in terms of "charmingly incorrect" variations on a theme.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Isn't that the point of it...
laugh.gif

Aren't you a teacher?
wink.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally think that sprezzatura is something that is really contextual, in this case, a certain stylized Italian lifestyle, and when taken out of this context, looks either sloppy, contrived or costumish.

Macallan

Reaction score
B/c your wearing jeans, it seems you have thought about the look
Whereas, a wear of trousers (any colour, ideally with a bit of 'wear') looks more sprez

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^
lol8[1].gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sazerac

Reaction score
Total sprezzatura.

The idea here is that the ensemble is unstudied and casual yet eminently put together. The hole in the faded jeans offsets the relative formality of the jacket's cut. And yet the tones of the colors, the faded blues, the worn browns, fit together beautifully.

Interestingly, what sets the look apart as exceptional is the fact that it's a double breasted number, something 99% of us here would never even consider wearing with jeans. In this case, that's precisely what makes it sprezzatura and not just a guy in faded jeans wearing an odd jacket. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

In my view, the looks in the WAYWRN thread sometime come off as too mannered and overwrought. It's like we all know the rules well enough to confidently break them, then we all break them in the same exact way. Stripes with checks, unmatched pocket square, wicked socks. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of that myself virtually every time I get dressed. If my wife doesn't say, "that doesn't go together," then I know I've done something wrong.

But this kind of rule breaking, such as it is, lacks the true insouciance that makes sprezzatura really and truly sprezzatura.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trifon
Sprezzatura. How come so many misspell it btw?
To count as sprez, the misspelling must be creative and intentional without appearing to be either. You could unbutton just one of the S's in the word "misspelling," for example, or you could roll up one of the L's.

Thus endeth the lesson.
teacha.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
spoo.jpg

nice job with photoshop you had me for a minute

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads