• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Meals.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Unfortunately, every meal can't be at a Michelin rated restaurant. What are some good, and perhaps inexpensive, staples of your personal diet that you make yourself at home?

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
spaghetti under $10 for a meal for 4. Good and Cheap
wink.gif

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Most of what I cook is usually Italian or Mexican, some Asian inspired dishes as well. I do a lot of stir fry, pasta with simple sauces, muffaletta and panini sandwiches, San Fran styled burritos, chili, and probably numerous others I'm leaving out. I find pasta carbonara to be the most enjoyable to cook, makes me feel like I actually know what I'm doing.

Another I make that always seems to be a hit is this vegan breakfast burrito. Shallots, diced potatoes, green pepper, crumbled tofu, sauteed in olive oil, seasoned with tumeric, cayenne, and lots of pepper. I am by no means a vegan, I just find it tasty. I also make another breakfast-y burrito with scrambled eggs, chorizo and hot sauce.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The omelet is probably one of my favorites because it is quick, easy, tasty and versatile for a hot meal.

Otherwise, I end up eating a lot of cold food. Sandwiches, salads, and such.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
there are nights when i have to make my own dinner at home, i just take some leftover rice in the pot put a little water in it, boil it to make a porridge,

take out some salted seaweed lavers (kim) and crumple into the porridge to wilt.

fill a bowl full of the porridge,
throw a grilled chicken piece on the bone on top,

a side of kim chi.

youre good to go.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Another simple dish a friend of mine taught me that I rather enjoy is green beans, capers, garlic, cooked in olive oil over medium heat. Again, plenty of pepper. Makes for a great side, or even just eating on its own when in a hurry. I like to dice up some pancetta and throw in there too.

Quatsch

Reaction score
Pasta (farfalle or other short, fun shapes) with garlic, spicy sausage, broccoli (broccoli rabe if you can get it), and parmesan.

Shepherd's pie - ground lamb, diced mushrooms, carrots, onions, garlic, and peas in a gravy made from beer and stock, and seasoned with thyme, topped with mashed potatoes and then white cheddar, which is then melted int he oven. delicious and hearty!

Homemade hummus - chickpeas, tahini, salt, pepper, olive oil, garlic, + seasoning. Usually either cumin or lemon+oregano.

Alternative next step: hummus chicken. Take chicken breasts (or other meat), cut into strips, slice onions and peppers, add to bowl with chicken. Add oil, oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, put on foil on baking sheet, bake. Use pita chips or pita bread, then top with hummus, then with chicken/goodies.

Red beans & Rice/Black beans & rice w/kielbasa. I usually just use zatarain's mixes, and spice them up a bit with fresh herbs, onions, & sausage.

carbonara - pancetta, eggs, pecorino or parm, & pasta. Don't use cream!!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black beans and rice
red sauce and spagetti
chicken/meat curry on top of rice
tacos

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I make myself a caesar salad for lunch at least once a week.

Eagle

Reaction score
Burn a steak, bake a potato, steam some greens...and enjoy! Could it get any easier?
eh.gif

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On an everyday basis I eat either Soul Food, New England or West Indian cuisine. I save special meals for Fridays and Saturdays. I try to eat Soul Food or a combination of West Indian and Soul Food every Sunday.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a huge list of these sorts of meals, because I cook 95% of dinners. French, Itailian, Chinese, a little Japanese, some Thai, lots of contemporary American, soul food, Russian, Polish. Lots, and lots, and lots.

~ H

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I have a huge list of these sorts of meals, because I cook 95% of dinners. French, Itailian, Chinese, a little Japanese, some Thai, lots of contemporary American, soul food, Russian, Polish. Lots, and lots, and lots.

~ H

Ghastly lies. You dine exclusively at Rally's.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Ghastly lies. You dine exclusively at Rally's.
Never actually been in one, though I've seen them. It occurs to me that I've been cooking for my family for something like 15yrs now. Started out cooking for five, now I'm down to three or so. It gets really tiring after a while, but this is my kitchen, so I'm not exactly suffering. Tonight I spent until dark working on the garage, but before I went out I tossed three chicken breasts into a freezer bag with a little olive oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and onion. When I came in, I sauteed onion and pepper in oil, added rice, then seasoned with all the above plus a chili. Added half a small can of tomato and water. Sauteed the chicken, added the other half a can and simmer. Removed the chicken and put it on a sheet pan., covered in grated Jack. Put some really late ears of corn on. It took 30 minutes. Last night was Yukon Gold homefries, pan-fried sirloin, and grrenbeans. Friday was a chuckroast with potatoes and carrots. I've really been just throwing things together lately as I've been putting in so much time at work and then working on the garage when I'm home. ~H

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics