Everyday Carry (Picture Edition)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tomorrowstars, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

"Potential." That's key. My car has the potential to run someone over. My kitchen knife has the potential to slice someone up. My baseball bat has the potential, well, you get it.

We should ban everything. For the children.

this is such a specious argument, and i hope you know that. guns are explicitly manufactured to kill. also your argument is basically: 'well lots of things kill people, so we shouldn't do anything about any specific case!' and it's absurd. one has nothing to do with the other.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

yes, there is that remote possibility that a person who hangs out in a custom clothing forum is an elitist.

2. Would you say the same about guys that have 50 pairs of shoes? .

well, you get some objective use out of shoes, and they can't kill people, so, no, I don't feel that way.

3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

no, because guns and drugs aren't analogous. first, the level of sophistication to manufacture gun isn't equivalent to growing marijuana or poppy plants. second, several times in our society and culture we've conceded that abuse of a product necessitates restricting or removing it, regardless of who is abusing it and what form the abuse takes. the example that most readily comes to mind is drugs with ephedrin. anyway, crane et al are going to reply that guns are a unique situation because the right to own them is explicitly enumerated in the bill of rights, and i would reply that the stakes are so much greater in this debate.

anyway it's a circular argument. "I need a gun to protect myself" "from what?" "from other people with guns!"

i would say that drugs with ephederin (which are still available, you just need to sign for it. eg bronkaid) were wrongly eliminated because a few overzealous people abused it and made newspaper headlines.

i agree with you that drugs and guns aren't analogous, but i would say that even if manufacturing guns are much more sophisticated than marijuana and poppy plants this doesnt wholly eliminate the problem of black markets. entry might be higher, but if stakes are high enough people would still take it and find ways to skirt the problem (move manufacturing overseas, etc) in a way that might be more detrimental than the original problem.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

i would say that drugs with ephederin (which are still available, you just need to sign for it. eg bronkaid) were wrongly eliminated because a few overzealous people abused it and made newspaper headlines.

i agree with you that drugs and guns aren't analogous, but i would say that even if manufacturing guns are much more sophisticated than marijuana and poppy plants this doesnt wholly eliminate the problem of black markets. entry might be higher, but if stakes are high enough people would still take it and find ways to skirt the problem (move manufacturing overseas, etc) in a way that might be more detrimental than the original problem.

true - but it would push the price of illegal guns way way up. if the only way to get a gun illegally in the US was to smuggle one it, the price would be thousands of dollars each. maybe tens of thousands. less people would use them. less people would die.

5. tween_spirit

tween_spirit Senior member

all this gun talk reminds me of a Harper's article from a few months back called Happiness is a Worn Gun. This quoted bit is pretty much the premise for anyone that wants to read it (will only take a few minutes and it presents some pretty interesting views): Finally, last year, under the guise of “wanting to learn what this is all about,” but really wanting to live the gun life myself, I began the process of getting a carry permit. Google brought up this post with a link to a PDF of the article I downloaded it and the file is safe and clean so no worries there.

6. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

You help design toys (or something remotely similar/unimportant). /thread for you.
    What does this have to do with anything? How can you possibly frame this as a bad thing? Also, Teger's right. It doesn't matter how experienced you are. The USA has a higher firearm violence rate than any other "civilized" nation. It's because that US citizens have completely misconstrued the intentions of the second amendment and have continued to mindlessly abide by it without context that firearms are so ubiquitous in the US. In turn, they are easier to obtain and commit crimes with. Look at a country like Japan, with incredibly strict gun control laws, and almost NO firearm violence. I can almost understand people who carry a single, small gun like your mini revolver for self protection. I don't agree with it, but I can at least understand it on some level. But two? Two handguns? You would frame two handguns as a necessity for self protection? Come on.

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

the thing I find so ridiculous is the climate of fear and suspicion that some people live in. are you so petrified of your life that you need to always carry two guns with you? as I said, I live in a much, much worse area than you do crane's, and I feel perfectly fine. I'm sure your reply will be 'well, I have them because it's better safe than sorry', but such a reply ignores the horrific consequences of that attitude - consequences directly reflected in the thousands of people that die from gun violence every year.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

9. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

To be fair, if I was in Montana I'd want to carry a gunblade too.
    Yessssss.

10. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

I carry a swiss army knife, mad afraid of black people nahm sayin guys

LOL

11. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

To be fair, if I was in Montana I'd want to carry a gun too.

I thought it was funny

12. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Some of these responses are laughable because people cannot get it through their heads that legal gun ownership and CCW holders aren't the problem. Why is it that the anti gun crowd constantly lumps all gun owners legal or not and then attempt to argue from that point?

GT, I'm well aware of your position however I sincerely believe your viewpoint is extremely biased by your past experiences and where you've lived. Unfortunately your bias forms an incorrect observation/opinion on how it works in the States.

Teger, I'm not going to justify anything to you. I am exercising my rights and privileges as defined by the law of the land and that is my choice. What you do is your choice right wrong or indifferent.

Uncontrol, you do not know enough about guns to tell anyone what they should carry. A mini revolver in the scheme of things is a poor choice as a primary defense pistol. It's fine as a BUG.
    If you don't believe me ask Boognish. He appears to be knowledgeable on the subject and has some advanced training behind him. I'll also bet he completely understood what I said that has you and Teger's panties in a bunch.

I suppose I could have phrased what I said a bit better so as not to offend you two but I don't waste my time tip toeing around thin skinned people especially when they think it's cool to insinuate that I have some weird murder fantasy.

13. Boognish

Boognish Well-Known Member

Some of these responses are laughable because people cannot get it through their heads that legal gun ownership and CCW holders aren't the problem. Why is it that the anti gun crowd constantly lumps all gun owners legal or not and then attempt to argue from that point?

GT, I'm well aware of your position however I sincerely believe your viewpoint is extremely biased by your past experiences and where you've lived. Unfortunately your bias forms an incorrect observation/opinion on how it works in the States.

Teger, I'm not going to justify anything to you. I am exercising my rights and privileges as defined by the law of the land and that is my choice. What you do is your choice right wrong or indifferent.

Uncontrol, you do not know enough about guns to tell anyone what they should carry. A mini revolver in the scheme of things is a poor choice as a primary defense pistol. It's fine as a BUG.
    If you don't believe me ask Boognish. He appears to be knowledgeable on the subject and has some advanced training behind him. I'll also bet he completely understood what I said that has you and Teger's panties in a bunch.

I suppose I could have phrased what I said a bit better so as not to offend you two but I don't waste my time tip toeing around thin skinned people especially when they think it's cool to insinuate that I have some weird murder fantasy.

Mini revolvers and small caliber pistols (.380 and under) do have a place as easy-to-conceal back up guns (BUGs). It's not uncommon for them to be carried in conjunction with a primary arm, or alone, when pocket-carry is the only option.

Personally, I've never carried one. I wear a Glock 19 that has about 3,000 trouble free rounds through it. I feel confident that it will work when needed, and feel that a spare magazine is all the back up I need, should I encounter a malfunction.

And Crane's pretty much summed everything else up.

I will never understand the anti-gun crowd's emotionally-driven hysteria.

I like how Uncontrol is fine with carrying, as long as the gun is a small one, ie- not offensive looking.

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

To be fair, if I was in Montana I'd want to carry a gun too.

[​IMG]

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't get why you need a gun on a daily basis unless you work in security or law enforcement, but I'm European so what do I know.

Here in Denmark carrying a gun will land you a year in jail, the same will a knife that is over 7cm, one hand opening or/and lockable.