• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everybody should be able to afford bespoke!!!

Macan

Reaction score
As an owner of a small tailoring shop, I personally think that everybody should be able to afford quality bespoke garments at affordable price.

Well price varies depending on the fabrics and how much labor is spent on making the garment, there still should be service available for the people out there who want to have decent custom made suits at affordable price.

Most of my potential customers have this perception that bespoke must be super expensive, and have doubts in my offers. Maybe I may be targeting wrong group..maybe i lack some marketing skills to promote my offers.

Not to be a marketing spam or anything, I just wanna know what you expect of when having bespoke suits or shirts. What is your priorities?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macan
Everybody should be able to afford bespoke!!!
While we're at it, everybody ought to have a maid!

funnything103.jpeg

mrclam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macan
As an owner of a small tailoring shop, I personally think that everybody should be able to afford quality bespoke garments at affordable price.

Well price varies depending on the fabrics and how much labor is spent on making the garment, there still should be service available for the people out there who want to have decent custom made suits at affordable price.

Most of my potential customers have this perception that bespoke must be super expensive, and have doubts in my offers. Maybe I may be targeting wrong group..maybe i lack some marketing skills to promote my offers.

Not to be a marketing spam or anything, I just wanna know what you expect of when having bespoke suits or shirts. What is your priorities?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
smile.gif

for me:
#1 expectation is that they fit well, are comfortable, and make you look good.
#2 solid construction, canvassed if possible, and the styling cues that the customer might desire

i think having true bespoke is inherently time consuming, especially if you are making canvassed jackets. personally i'd be happy to spend more money to get a result i'm happy with, than to save money and get something i'm not happy with

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the owner of a small tailoring shop I'd hope you'd want everyone to be able to afford bespoke, but people who don't buy bespoke either a) don't know about it, or b) don't care. You also have to take into account that most clothing that is bespoken is not stuff most people wear on a day to day basis anymore. Since this is the case, you should probably advertise your services. I have an ad from one of my great uncles who owned a tailoring shop from the early 1900's up until the mid 50's in Pennsylvania. What struck me most was "Custom Made Clothing Same price As Ready To Wear". Try something like that if you can do it.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
Thinly veiled promotion? Mods won't be too happy if you aren't an affiliate.

Bespoke super-thin veil.

JamesK

Reaction score
Having grown up in developing countries - I assumed having all my clothes tailor made was normal. The biggest difference for me was actually having a tailor who was informed - could give great options and recommendations depending on the customers body shape and taste and general sense of fashion.

I had a sport coat tailored for me here in Paris recently and the tailor saw me clumsily reach for my blackberry in my overcoat (the pocket was to deep) and promptly offered to stitch a shallow slanted pocket in my new jacket; which has made this recent navy blue jacket my favorite!

PS I think its great - the more tailors we have on the forum the better - if you provide a service (contribute to the forum) and promote who cares?

PPS I think the fitting well and price/performance ratio go without saying....

Hans Cater

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesK

PS I think its great - the more tailors we have on the forum the better - if you provide a service (contribute to the forum) and promote who cares?

The mods cares, they have people who pay to be promoted so they kind of frown upon that.

But I don't care hahaha

and the mods .................... well
fight[1].gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
Milk maid or French maid?

A French maid I can milk?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics