• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

every time I buy a suit...

hellothere

Reaction score
Every time I go to get a suit the sales man hands me a 40 short. I put it on and can barley move in it, it fits way too tight. I put a 42 short on and it feels like a much better fit, allows me to move much better but then the shoulders look big. Anything I can do or should I start doing some shoulder presses? This is a example of my last suit after its been tailored.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to a different store with a different salesman that sells different brands.

I have similar issues with some brands (40 too small in the shoulders, 42 too big), e.g. Prada, but an Etro 42 for example fits me perfectly.

So try a jacket from a different store/brand/line and it likely won't be made to the exact same specifications as what you've been trying. Keep shopping around and eventually you'll find something that fits you in the shoulders, then get the chest tailored if necessary.

hellothere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Have you figured out what your proper shoulder measurements are for jackets?

Should be somewhere between 19"-21" I'm guessing.

I believe im 19" but tomorrow ill brake out the tape and double check. I really am odd shaped which doesn't help when buying clothing. My dress shirt is a 17 neck but even in a fitted shirt there is still room for me to gain weight. I guess maybe my best bet is to loose some weight and see if I can start fitting into a 40.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but you might be a 41 short.

hellothere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CMD.EXE
You were correct in obscuring your face

:-( I guess ill keep trying different cuts until i find something that fits much better.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with GoldenTribe -- the trick will be finding a brand that is cut for your particular body style. Every label cuts their jackets differently, so there should be pretty decent variation, even within the same size. OR you could go bespoke.

Where do you live?

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hellothere
I believe im 19" but tomorrow ill brake out the tape and double check. I really am odd shaped which doesn't help when buying clothing. My dress shirt is a 17 neck but even in a fitted shirt there is still room for me to gain weight. I guess maybe my best bet is to loose some weight and see if I can start fitting into a 40.

Definitely break out the tape and get the exact measurement down to 0.5" as suit jacket sizes can vary.

E.g. My size, 38, can range from 17-18.5" sometimes and I look for exactly 18".

hellothere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kirbya
I agree with GoldenTribe -- the trick will be finding a brand that is cut for your particular body style. Every label cuts their jackets differently, so there should be pretty decent variation, even within the same size. OR you could go bespoke. Where do you live?
Nj but I feel what I paid for my Calvin Klein would not even be in the same ball park as a bespoke suit. I was reading about the traveling tailor that makes a suit to measure. Any one have any experience there? The biggest problem with every 40s I put on was in the chest, once on my body it almost looked like the material was stretching and not sitting right.

Archivist

Reaction score
Try Brooks Brothers (probably the Madison body), Hickey Freeman, and J. Press.

Oh, and when you go in, scope out the oldest looking salesman on the floor, and have him measure you.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Have you figured out what your proper shoulder measurements are for jackets?

Should be somewhere between 19"-21" I'm guessing.

19-21? I am a 40 and my shoulders are 17.25"...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, I am sort of a 39 chest to be honest, hence the reason for no more off the rack for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads