Everlane T-shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ethan Halladay, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

That's like half of it.

If you look at interviews, etc, you'll see the other half is educating folks about the industry, production of garments, etc. Hence the infographics

Edit: Here's an example. It's really long but really fascinating as well. You'll see a huge part of the founder's mission statement was to remove the barriers/smoke/mirrors between the industry and the consumer. So any argument that sounds similar to "oh this design decision is OK because the consumer won't know any better" is exactly the opposite of the company's core principles.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

ah ok never knew that but yea i agree its not a good excuse

3. CPaul

CPaul Senior member

its finally july 11th, our shirts should be shipping today right? Been waiting for awhile to try these out

4. jmaudi0

jmaudi0 Senior member

last post from Nan said July 15th I think.

5. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

6. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

I have a few questions, I noticed that the pre-orders for scarves went up and saw they they are going for $60. Which to me seems kind of high, I think I remember the original scarves selling for $30. I'm assuming they are nicer, but I think there should be some explanation for the high price tag. I'd be really interested to see how much markup is on them, I mean, really it's only a large piece of unfinished fabric, how much could manufacturing really cost for that?

Also, I introduced my girlfriend to Everlane and now all of her friends are buying lots of stuff, anyways her friend recently bought a few Ryan tanks, and she was wearing one recently and it was seriously so soft and comfy feeling. Is there any chance a men's shirt will be made in that material in the near future?

Oh, and will new colors be introduced to the men's tee collection anytime soon? I have navy and white and I'd like to have more, but don't really care much for the other colors.

7. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Senior member

Disappointing that there's no scarves for men. ;( The women get all the cool stuff like the Ryan tee and then the scarves.

8. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

I will try to get a styleforum-only release early next week. It will be for two of the 6 variants we will end up with, but those are all we have on hand at the moment.

They are the same size as the old backpacks. The laptop sleeve will be padded this time around.

That's the old backpack page, and those styles are discontinued. The new versions are upgraded in many ways and are different colors. The new packs will be available to everyone.

You guys are right, I should be more precise in my explanations.

- First, there was never a design decision made to take advantage of a consumer's ignorance, and there never will be. We should have made the straps more substantial, as evident by the volume of comments here on the matter. We are cutting into our margins for the next run to add some heft to the straps.

- Styleforum has some of the most (probably the most) critical and enthusiastic people on the web. It's a community I have been part of and participated in for a long time, and the reason I quit my old job and joined Everlane is because I thought, finally, I can help create a product that people here can really enjoy and export those standards to a general audience.

- The belt sizing thing is more of an experiment than anything else. We went with pant sizes because we thought that it would be less confusing to people who don't know all the conventions and even more so, because we thought it was the most logical way to do things given the way the belt was designed. There is a little tolerance built into the sizing to alleviate potential issues as well.

- If you guys have the patience for it, watch Michael's video - it really is fascinating.

9. lofigeek

lofigeek Well-Known Member

I can see tank tops made for women not fitting men quite right,( they might have a little bit more space in the chest area? maybe?),... but there is nothing preventing the scarves from being unisex!

10. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

We are working on fall colors right now. There's one last restock of summer colors and we are going to move forward with heather colors for autumn.

The new scarves are huge - almost 3 feet wide and almost 6 feet long. The Modal-silk-wool blend is also quite expensive, so our materials cost alone is almost $20 a unit. Fully-loaded, our cost is $28 a unit on these guys. We lucked out with the old scarves and got the material on end-run, so our cost was much lower.

All of our menswear energy has been going into button-downs and cashmere sweaters for fall.

We marketed the scarves to women, but I have been wearing the sample around the office and I have a couple on pre-order. We also have patterned scarves in the works for fall/winter.

11. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Scarves sound awesome. That is all

edit: oh wait, just found out their intended gender. nm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  12. Samir

Samir Senior member

Swag.

13. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Senior member

I can get behind this! Keep up the great work. [​IMG]

14. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

Wow, for some reason I never really expected a men's button-up from Everlane, that's pretty exciting. Unfortunately, unless they offer a slim-fitted version, they'll likely be too baggy for me. BB Extra-slims are the only button-ups I've found that fit me really well, I think it's more because I prefer a pretty slim fit though, not because I'm really tiny.

BUT, I'd be really excited if they offered a slim fitting OCBD.

Also really excited for the sweaters and heathered tees!

Sounds like the fall line is going to rule.

15. otc

otc Senior member

Hmm Cashmere.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. When sweaters get cheap, I infintely prefer a good Merino to cashmere because cheap cashmere always ends up pilling and looking awful very fast.

Would be interesting to see where you guys can push the quality while having to keep prices below banana republic/j crew cashmere.