• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everlane T-shirts

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ah. I forgot about that law - but it only requires that two stages of production to take place in Italy. It doesn't seem to address non-sweatshop factories with immigrant workers that will continue to legally use the 'Made in Italy' label.

To be fair, I don't think I could rationally support any law that made this illegal. It may have been made by indebted immigrants in less than ideal conditions but it was still made in that country which is the only thing that label should mean. Something is wrong if we have something that can be 100% made in italy and not legally called "Made in Italy"

As to the quality thing...who knows these days. I still feel like germans manufacture some pretty good **** but half the time buying something made in the USA just means overpaying for the same quality stuff as the chinese junk since you have to cover a bunch of bloated overhead.

My interpretation from people who have done production in china is that the issue there is mostly about QA issues. lots of stories about specs declining over time without any real way to stop it...in USA you would just say "**** you, these pieces aren't to spec, remake them" (if they even made it to you without being caught by internal QA) while in china it sounds like you almost have to just raise the spec every once and a while because tolerances slide, materials get substituted out, and there is not much you can do about it.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
theanyu-
The bags in the pop up shop were $150. Right?
I am just wondering because I could of sworn I read it.

trum01

Reaction score
pardon me if i'm reading the italymag article wrong, but the law doesn't seem to address the whole "chinese immigrants working for cheap in italian factories" part, except for that the factory must meet "certain standards" which is pretty vague

You're right about that ... but then again ... the label only says "Made in Italy", and not "Made in Italy by natural born Italian citizens of Italian ancestry" :p

Seriously though ... I read the NYT article ... but I don't think it's a big issue in terms of scale ... The article only talks of 1 city and I think most reputable brands would be wary of peddling the produce of illegally exploited labour.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

theanyu-
The bags in the pop up shop were $150. Right?
I am just wondering because I could of sworn I read it.

I will explain that - it was a poorly conceived gimmick that we originally thought of as kind of a joke - but the NYTimes loved it so we ran with it in order to get the press.

Basically, the idea was, you could walk out of the store with merchandise at traditional retail prices, backpacks for $150, t-shirts for $50, etc. or you could order online for our prices. Now, explaining this to customers would have been insane, so we didn't really push that idea.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that you have the secret shop will you sell the dopp kits?
I would be good for at least 3 if they are <$35.

Tigerprawn

Reaction score

I will explain that - it was a poorly conceived gimmick that we originally thought of as kind of a joke - but the NYTimes loved it so we ran with it in order to get the press.
Basically, the idea was, you could walk out of the store with merchandise at traditional retail prices, backpacks for $150, t-shirts for $50, etc. or you could order online for our prices. Now, explaining this to customers would have been insane, so we didn't really push that idea.

I think this is a great idea... Although, I could see how customers may get confused. Maybe price tags marked at $150, and right below the price in BIG BOLD letters "... Or you can buy this online at www.everlane.com for $65" or something of that nature.

Then have an ipad or computer kiosks where people can place orders online while in the pop up shop for the lower price. Mind blown.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this is a great idea... Although, I could see how customers may get confused. Maybe price tags marked at $150, and right below the price in BIG BOLD letters "... Or you can buy this online at www.everlane.com for $65" or something of that nature.
Then have an ipad or computer kiosks where people can place orders online while in the pop up shop for the lower price. Mind blown.

Ipad thing would be sick

Cruze

Reaction score
Hey to all,

I've been lurking here for a while and finally decided to join up. So this is my first post on the forum and ironically it's about my first Everlane purchase. I was in the market for a nice weekend size bag that I could use for 2 -3 day business trips and of course weekend trips. I narrowed my choices down to a winner (Frost River) but the pics of Everlane's weekenders completely swayed me. I had to have the grey one as soon as I saw it.

I just received mine today and while the canvas, zippers, interior design and style are nice....the handles are a major letdown. I read some of the previous posts with fingers crossed hoping that folks were just overreacting but all of the posts in reference to the handles are absolutely correct. Leather is very thin and inspires no confidence in quality or durability. The 12 inch drop is also very, very disappointing. The choice to go this route instead of using shorter, thicker handles and a shoulder strap is baffling to me. I can only assume the 12 inch drop was chosen in order to provide a unisex bag to the marketplace?? As it stands, the bag resembles a large purse more than a weekender.

Overall I'm disappointed but still looking forward to more products from Everlane. (Hoping for OCBDs, polos, wallets maybe....) The weekender will have to go back so I'm hoping for a smooth return policy.

P.S. This is an awesome forum. Lurking here has exposed me to a ton of products and brands that I would never have known about. Keep it up guys.

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Got my blue weekender today. The color and fabric is great. The size is absolutely perfect. The handles seem to be a bit flimsy and im not sure if they will stand the test of time especially with the bag fully loaded.

Ive decided to return it.. As much as I want to like the bag, i just cant justify the price. I dont see as much "value" as I do with the other Everlane products.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they redesigned the site (the mens side at least) :plain:

anyone else think the previous version was better?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my olive weekender today and I am going to return it. I want to preface this by saying I am a huge fan of everlane and their customer service. Nan is great and I have a bunch of their tees and a backpack.

Also Nan, you should put in a link to cancel an order. I had placed an order when you first gave us the weekender link and like a little over a week later I decided to change color on the weekender as it hadn't shipped yet. I emailed Chris at customer service (he was great) and he told me he couldn't cancel it but I could cancel and re-place the order since it didn't ship yet. I didn't see a button on the orders page to cancel the order so I emailed him back and he canceled it.

As for my weekender review:
The length of the leather straps is just awkward. I'm 6'1" and it just looks weird when I hold it in my hand. The bag hovers too close to the ground. Also not a fan of hanging it on my shoulder.

The material on the bag is also too thin imo. It looks like the same material (and thickness) as the backpack. Since the weekender is much bigger I feel it is too flimsy. If the material were thicker it would be much better. I like the snap backpack I have but not so much the weekender.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I ordered stuff June 25th the day the weekender dropped but hasn't even shipped yet. Anybody else have trouble?

jmaudi0

Reaction score
I ordered stuff June 25th the day the weekender dropped but hasn't even shipped yet. Anybody else have trouble?
same. seems they are waiting for your complete order to be ready before shipping. i ordered a few t-shirts but they aren't in stock yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics