Everlane T-shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ethan Halladay, Jan 27, 2012.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

I am sure it is. :)

2. ShiroiAkuma

ShiroiAkuma Senior member

You're joking right? Everything I've seen you post so far has been intelligent and well put together. I truly hope that's a joke.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Not a joke. Where it is made is entirely extrinsic to the piece. If quality and styling remain the same, presumably the only difference could be cost of production. I buy and sell things from thrift stores. Does the fact that I paid only a few dollars change the value of the item? No.

Unless his motivation for making a return was because he wishes to support the domestic economy, in which case, I rescind my statement. But based on the context of the post, it seemed more like he was automatically associating "Made in China" with an inferior product and, while happy with the bag, wished to return it based solely on this assumption.

*edit* Anyways, I'm really more interested to hear Nan's response to this shitstorm at this point :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

4. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

As I said, you can buy $350 backpacks made in Japan from Nanamica.

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Or $300 to Makr for Made in USA...

Your options are nearly limitless, guys... as long as your wallet is too.

6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

My take on the weekender

It's nice but the handles are a little wimpy, which is a shame. It'll turn people off because touching the handles is the first impression. It's what you grab first and foremost and is probably the most important detail.

Aside from that, the canvas, lining, zips, etc. are all great. I'll be keeping mine.

7. lesamourai

lesamourai Senior member

I'd still like to see some proof of that since it seems very unlikely that they would go ahead and sell it for $150.

Those things were asked for by a lot of people, so clearly it wasn't for the majority.

8. mbrokerny

mbrokerny Senior member

Why, is the quality not good or you just don't like MIC? Think this is somewhat of a silly rationale I would never return an item I liked based on the origin.

It's interesting you mention the Filson, I too was comparing and according to Everlanes pricing model the Filson would sell to retailers for around the same price as the Everlane putting the manufacturing costs at about even which I doubt is true.

9. raags

raags Senior member

Definitely acceptable then from my pov! Still baffled at the online price being higher but whatever :)

10. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

I'm going to be using my weekender for kidnapping toddlers for ransom money

When I walk off in the airport with little people kicking around inside my bag, I'd hate for them to discover the bag was made in China

You lose some respect that way you know?

11. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

Because part of the reason I was buying it was because I thought it was made in the US. To me the benefit of something being made in the US goes beyond just the quality of the product, but also sort of a piece of mind. Not to mention that I can't necessarily know the true quality of a product when it's brand new. A lot of times it's not obvious that something is of questionably quality until things start falling apart.

12. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

Bingo.

I obviously don't buy everything made in the USA, or even most things, but one of the justifications in my mind for spending the money on this bag is because I foolishly assumed I was supporting decent paying manufacturing jobs in the US.

I know it's silly and ideological, but still.

13. trum01

trum01 Senior member

Nan can clear this up but if I remember correctly he said that finding manufacturers for waxed canvas bags in the US was an issue. If that's the case then you can't blame Everlane for making this in China.

Made in China does not by itself mean that it's of inferior quality. One of SFers all time favourites are made in Macau - APC New Standards.

14. jimtology

jimtology Well-Known Member

I remember in an interview, Michael Preysman was asked if all his products were all Made in USA. He said no, because some material( ie, waxed canvas) are produced beyond their price-point. Moreover, China already has huge factories with this material and it's a lot more efficient to produce through those companies. I assume quality is still monitored and what not.

15. Samir

Samir Senior member

I think it's more of a "the pop-up shop price is lower" deal. Kind of like how they did a short run of at-cost belts, having a slight discount on the backpacks now revs up a little more interest.

I have to agree with whoever said the new backpacks looks like they're using nicer leather. I love my grey snap, but I may upgrade and try to sell this one. I'll probably return the Weekender - it looks very nice, but I'd prefer a proper shoulder strap and it doesn't impress me enough to justify having it when I've already got a Filson Sportsman. It holds a lot and the black with the brown trim + nice zippers looks fantastic, though.