1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Everlane T-shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Ethan Halladay, Jan 27, 2012.

1. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

I have a few questions, I noticed that the pre-orders for scarves went up and saw they they are going for $60. Which to me seems kind of high, I think I remember the original scarves selling for $30. I'm assuming they are nicer, but I think there should be some explanation for the high price tag. I'd be really interested to see how much markup is on them, I mean, really it's only a large piece of unfinished fabric, how much could manufacturing really cost for that?

Also, I introduced my girlfriend to Everlane and now all of her friends are buying lots of stuff, anyways her friend recently bought a few Ryan tanks, and she was wearing one recently and it was seriously so soft and comfy feeling. Is there any chance a men's shirt will be made in that material in the near future?

Oh, and will new colors be introduced to the men's tee collection anytime soon? I have navy and white and I'd like to have more, but don't really care much for the other colors.

2. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Senior member

Disappointing that there's no scarves for men. ;( The women get all the cool stuff like the Ryan tee and then the scarves.

3. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

I will try to get a styleforum-only release early next week. It will be for two of the 6 variants we will end up with, but those are all we have on hand at the moment.

They are the same size as the old backpacks. The laptop sleeve will be padded this time around.

That's the old backpack page, and those styles are discontinued. The new versions are upgraded in many ways and are different colors. The new packs will be available to everyone.

You guys are right, I should be more precise in my explanations.

- First, there was never a design decision made to take advantage of a consumer's ignorance, and there never will be. We should have made the straps more substantial, as evident by the volume of comments here on the matter. We are cutting into our margins for the next run to add some heft to the straps.

- Styleforum has some of the most (probably the most) critical and enthusiastic people on the web. It's a community I have been part of and participated in for a long time, and the reason I quit my old job and joined Everlane is because I thought, finally, I can help create a product that people here can really enjoy and export those standards to a general audience.

- The belt sizing thing is more of an experiment than anything else. We went with pant sizes because we thought that it would be less confusing to people who don't know all the conventions and even more so, because we thought it was the most logical way to do things given the way the belt was designed. There is a little tolerance built into the sizing to alleviate potential issues as well.

- If you guys have the patience for it, watch Michael's video - it really is fascinating.

4. lofigeek

lofigeek Well-Known Member

I can see tank tops made for women not fitting men quite right,( they might have a little bit more space in the chest area? maybe?),... but there is nothing preventing the scarves from being unisex!

5. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

We are working on fall colors right now. There's one last restock of summer colors and we are going to move forward with heather colors for autumn.

The new scarves are huge - almost 3 feet wide and almost 6 feet long. The Modal-silk-wool blend is also quite expensive, so our materials cost alone is almost $20 a unit. Fully-loaded, our cost is $28 a unit on these guys. We lucked out with the old scarves and got the material on end-run, so our cost was much lower.

All of our menswear energy has been going into button-downs and cashmere sweaters for fall.

We marketed the scarves to women, but I have been wearing the sample around the office and I have a couple on pre-order. We also have patterned scarves in the works for fall/winter.

6. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

Scarves sound awesome. That is all

edit: oh wait, just found out their intended gender. nm

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  7. Samir

Samir Senior member

Swag.

8. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Senior member

I can get behind this! Keep up the great work. [​IMG]

9. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

Wow, for some reason I never really expected a men's button-up from Everlane, that's pretty exciting. Unfortunately, unless they offer a slim-fitted version, they'll likely be too baggy for me. BB Extra-slims are the only button-ups I've found that fit me really well, I think it's more because I prefer a pretty slim fit though, not because I'm really tiny.

BUT, I'd be really excited if they offered a slim fitting OCBD.

Also really excited for the sweaters and heathered tees!

Sounds like the fall line is going to rule.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Hmm Cashmere.

Will be interesting to see where this goes. When sweaters get cheap, I infintely prefer a good Merino to cashmere because cheap cashmere always ends up pilling and looking awful very fast.

Would be interesting to see where you guys can push the quality while having to keep prices below banana republic/j crew cashmere.

11. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

awesome! let us know what the two options that will be available vs the other 4 in terms of the colors and snaps/zip etc

12. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Cheap cashmere :confused:

13. Dairy Phobic

Dairy Phobic Senior member

I would guess it's a blend of some sort

14. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

I don't know too much about cashmere, or merino really, but in my experience, merino seems like the ultimate sweater material. Super comfy, warm, light, wicking, etc.

15. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior member

Damn, all these upgrades to the backpack make me wish that I waited on the weekender. It seems like the next run of weekenders will be substantially better.

And, thenanyu, does that mean that the scarves are more or less unisex?

16. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Might have to gift my current weekender to my brother or something if the new ones are much better. Already used so too late to return.

17. pyroxyze

pyroxyze Senior member

I don't think you've ever tried really, really nice cashmere then. Absolutely amazing.

18. thenanyu

thenanyu Senior member

Thanks!

OTC, I agree with you about cashmere. There are different grades of the stuff and while we will not have the highest possible grade, our stuff is going to be very good, especially for the sub $100 price.

Of the 4 different grades we tested, we ended up using the highest one.

Billster, It will be 100% cashmere and on par with stuff that you find in most places for $250.

Yeah, the scarves are pretty much unisex unless in the neutral colors.

I just some photos of myself in the office today wearing the sample. Note that this color is not one of the production colors, it's in between the cream and hazelnut colors.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. heathenist

heathenist Active Member

This is true. But from what I've seen, a lot of it seems heavier or thicker than a merino sweater. What I like about merino is that it's so versatile, it can be worn in almost every season. I don't know if the same is true for cashmere, because I don't know much about it, but from what I've seen, it seems too warm to be a year round sweater.

20. nahneun

nahneun Senior member

you're wrong, the heathenist. no wonder you do not understand the sensual pleasures you can derive from cashmere (no sexualization, thanks). it's because you're a fucking heathen.