• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everlane Shop

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got an email from Everlane saying that the shop will be launching November 1st. They are going off the mantra of "Designer Quality for Under $100." Their blog is here: http://tumblr.everlane.com/

To join, click here

Full disclaimer, this is a referral link although from what I've gotten so far from them it'll be closed membership at first when the shop opens. If I get the free shipping option (50 signups), I will offer this proxy service to all SF members.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been bamboozled.

Out of curiosity I signed up, and then promptly wished I hadn't. Bunch of game playing wankers: "Earn rewards before getting in the door. We'll let you in as soon we can, but you can earn rewards now as friends sign up." WTF?! As soon as we can. I'll get right on signing up more suckers for ya, Mr. Ponzi. Sir, yes sir. Hey everybody clickee this - pls, don't. They think they're Louis Vuitton and a virtual velvet rope is needed to keep my Japanese-school-girl-with-a-$3000-handbag addiction lined up outside? Oh, my panties are soooo wet. Sopping. Lemme in!

As far as I can tell they sell t-shirts. Whoopee. Doopee. Doo.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah they logged about a ton of cool stuff and then came out with basic overpriced tees. They are funded by kleiner Perkins though so they have serious support. They will be done soon though unless they step their game up soon

Samir

Reaction score
I can understand if people didn't think the quality was up to par, but restricting access and basic tees?

They're just staggering access because they've had so many people sign up, something like 110k (email addresses, at least) as of a couple weeks ago. Given that one of their items sold out in a few minutes after the initial email was sent out, I'd guess that they're slowly opening it up because a) they want to avoid slowing down the website and b) a lot of stuff is in limited stock to see what sells well and interests people the most. What do they really gain from having you sign up and not be able to gain immediate access? It's not like that increases their ad revenue if you're not checking the site.

And selling stuff like t-shirts is kind of the point... they seem to want to cover the basics. I'm not sure that a $15 tee can be that overpriced, but they've now sold neck ties and bowties, wood iPhone cases, and scarves. Simple **** - but I think that's their goal.

I linked some images of their stuff here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can understand if people didn't think the quality was up to par, but restricting access and basic tees?

They're just staggering access because they've had so many people sign up, something like 110k (email addresses, at least) as of a couple weeks ago. Given that one of their items sold out in a few minutes after the initial email was sent out, I'd guess that they're slowly opening it up because a) they want to avoid slowing down the website and b) a lot of stuff is in limited stock to see what sells well and interests people the most. What do they really gain from having you sign up and not be able to gain immediate access? It's not like that increases their ad revenue if you're not checking the site.

And selling stuff like t-shirts is kind of the point... they seem to want to cover the basics. I'm not sure that a $15 tee can be that overpriced, but they've now sold neck ties and bowties, wood iPhone cases, and scarves. Simple **** - but I think that's their goal.

I linked some images of their stuff here.

Plenty of nice tees can be had for $15 on sale. I think my main issue was the blogged and promoted something different than what they finally offered. And 110k users signed up (minus those who signed up 15 - 50 times to get a free tee) but Everlane got 20k views the month they launched and 13.5k in November. So only 20% or so of their users/people who signed up are actually visiting the site. 20k visitors to a site over a month will no slow down a website at all and that means stock must have been really limited. Mr. Porter / Park and Bond get 60k/100k visitors monthly and a smaller site such as context/need supply gets 6k/25k a month. So they are getting enough people to up their stock a bit or at least open it up to the public.

Samir

Reaction score
Plenty of nice tees can be had for $15 on sale.
Their shirts are solid. It'd be hard to evaluate them and say they're overpriced, when comparable shirts are only slightly cheaper when on good sales.
Quote: They will offer what they've blogged about, just in due time. You could argue that they're rolling out new items too slowly, but it's not like they're still only offering shirts. Yes, that was the only stuff they sold initially, but they've add new categories to the store about every 2-3 weeks - ties, iPhone covers, and scarves. People at their office have handled other items not yet for sale - notebooks, backpacks, dopp kits. Maybe they only have prototypes and haven't gone into production yet, maybe their goal is to expand slowly. Either way, they definitely have plans to sell a bigger variety of items.
Quote: I agree that the 110k number is definitely an overestimate, and yeah, it's probably unlikely that their website would crash. But what you said was correct - their stock is really limited. They've said they make "small" batches of products for initial runs to see what's popular, and then focus their production on those items for future sales.

With only a fraction of users given access to their shop, they still had items sell out within minutes. I got the email when it was sent, logged into the website, and picked out a shirt in my size. I hesitated for a minute to check their size chart, tried to check out, and it was no longer available. Other sizes and colors sold out within 20 minutes. Increasing access before they've ramped up production is only going to make that worse.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics