Ever find yourself ridiculously overdressed? to the point of being inappropriate?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MillionaireTeacher, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Unbreakable

Unbreakable Senior member

Wear what ya want, when ya want. A few of us went barhopping after we were finished being in a friends wedding. Sports Bar + Tux= lol Was a damn fun night though

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

If you go to a football party where everyone is wearing jeans and t-shirts and you are dressed in a suit with a pocket square and tie, you do not have "style." Having "style" means more than just being dressed in a suit all the time, it means being dressed well, but appropriately, and making others feel comfortable around you.

Well said!

3. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

If you go to a football party where everyone is wearing jeans and t-shirts and you are dressed in a suit with a pocket square and tie, you do not have "style." Having "style" means more than just being dressed in a suit all the time, it means being dressed well, but appropriately, and making others feel comfortable around you.

+1

thinking jeans + t-shirt is the only casual, and being stylish just for wearing a suit is big mistake in my opinion.

4. MillionaireTeacher

MillionaireTeacher Senior member

Last night, I went to a small dinner party.
    I was still wearing my posted outfit on (dress pants & sportcoat).
    One guy was wearing a pullover sweatshirt thing.
    At one point, he 1/2 jokingly says to me, "Damn, MT, you're making me feel under dressed ! "

I actually remembered this comment above, and took off my sportcoat,
    which made me look much more casual. (dress shirt and pants)

5. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Unfortunately the peasantry is often unable to appreciate these sorts of things.

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

7. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

No. My town is very unfashion-conscious (and I never go anywhere) so I'm usually seen in jeans and a polo/sportshirt. When I do don the Armani, it's usually just a simple, solid shirt-and-trouser ensemble. No one knows (or cares) that it's expensive - just something to wear when I feel like it.
    The only items I have which receive attention are my hats. I wear fedoras and those long-bill Wigens driver caps. Meh.

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I have, yes. But mostly for completely misjudging the situation and not simply because i decided to say fuck it.

After receiving annoying comments about it, i decided to remain overdressed, but then i was simply saying 'F-U' to the hosts for not calling for more formal attire.

Similar scenarios in my family would call for formal attire and thats what I based my decision on.

I've toned down my attire by not wearing things like pocket squares, sticking to mostly loafers and wearing casual materials.

I save the squares and formal materials for only the most formal events.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Being overdressed never bothers me at all, but if I'm underdressed, then I beat myself up about it for days.

10. intent

intent Senior member

Like this?

[​IMG]

Where to begin?

11. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

yeah, style is an attitude.

12. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I kind of want to wear have a suit day next term where every week I suit up, maybe get a couple of people on board, but it would definitely produce "that guy" status (although not as bad in law, most people assume court).

13. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

One time, I was desperate for jobs and filled out every application I could. I got a call for an interview at a certain time, but couldn't remember what in the world the company did (no website or anything). I got dressed in decent shoes, a well-fitted suit, dress shirt, tie, etc.

The interview was set in a construction trailer and the interviewer was the manager of the demolition crew: jeans covered in filth and ripped knees, a plain t-shirt with obvious sweat stains around the armpits and neck, and work boots (not the sf-style work boots either).

Just thought I'd share that pointless story because this thread is pointless.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

One of the most sensible things ever posted on Sf.

15. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

Pfft [​IMG]