• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever been to Taiwan?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I think I'll be heading to Taiwan this year. I hear their clothing is like japanese clothing only cheaper. Anyone been there? If so are there special things I should look for?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked out of Taiwan for about 2 years. Umm, I wouldn't say their clothing is like Japan. Their market TRIES to be like Japan but fails, miserably IMO, and doesn't have the slew of quality bespoke offerings like HK. You might find some interesting things but most brands we'd find interesting will be horrendously overpriced. As far as stuff manufactured in Taiwan, you might find some fashion forward pieces, but generally IMO the overall mode of dress is pretty bad and seriously played out, kind of like a caricature of even the worst "Asian" looks in Southern California. There are also very strange issues with sizing, there is even some one-size stuff for guys which is really weird IMO.

dk7m

Reaction score
It really depends where you stay in Taiwan IMO because Taipei's really not too bad in terms of fashion and avilability of clothes but when I traveled through Taichung, I couldn't see anything that really left a good impression on me.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I worked out of Taiwan for about 2 years. Umm, I wouldn't say their clothing is like Japan. Their market TRIES to be like Japan but fails, miserably IMO, and doesn't have the slew of quality bespoke offerings like HK. You might find some interesting things but most brands we'd find interesting will be horrendously overpriced. As far as stuff manufactured in Taiwan, you might find some fashion forward pieces, but generally IMO the overall mode of dress is pretty bad and seriously played out, kind of like a caricature of even the worst "Asian" looks in Southern California. There are also very strange issues with sizing, there is even some one-size stuff for guys which is really weird IMO.
quoted for truth.

pengesq

Reaction score
If you are looking for good quality casual clothes, they are generally more expensive in Taiwan and not worth it. Their local stuff maybe be cheap but doesn't hold up to washings in an American washer and dryer.

The better way to go is to pick up some nice bespoke suits, which generally start at $400 and are 1/2 canvass. Go to the Howard Plaza Hotel in Taipei, their 2nd ground floor houses a lot of bespoke tailors.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Yeah I'll most likely be staying at Taipei. I actually really don't care about what brands they are but my taiwanese friends say the clothing there is "cute" but cheap, while Japan is...REALLY expensive
confused.gif

I'll try to find some good stuff but if there isn't much it's all the better since I should be saving money
laugh.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Taiwan. Local designers are terrible, but if you are into that kind of thing, there are a lot of international labels with branches there. Many have perpetual sale racks. Technically you can get a VAT refund with a foreign passport and an outbound flight number within a certain time period - 1 month, I beleive. Don't know how many shops actually offer this - you should ask. There are also some Japanese brands carried in small boutiques spread across town. One that comes to mind is in the Ding Hao Building on Chung Hsiao E Road off Tun Hwa S Road. I haven't been to that store in a while, but it should still be there. There are some in Ximending, too.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Are alot've you guys Taiwanese? I was expecting more of the forum members to be american o_O
I'm half taiwanese but this'll probably be my second time going to Taiwan so I wanted to see what I could get. Was hoping for more positive responses though XD

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not Taiwanese but I did grow up there. The shopping really isn't bad. There are some labels there that are harder to find in the US. Vivienne Westwood, for example, has at least one boutique and I think another stockist. The local stuff is not good.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I grew up in Taiwan. Local designers are terrible, but if you are into that kind of thing, there are a lot of international labels with branches there. Many have perpetual sale racks. Technically you can get a VAT refund with a foreign passport and an outbound flight number within a certain time period - 1 month, I beleive. Don't know how many shops actually offer this - you should ask. There are also some Japanese brands carried in small boutiques spread across town. One that comes to mind is in the Ding Hao Building on Chung Hsiao E Road off Tun Hwa S Road. I haven't been to that store in a while, but it should still be there. There are some in Ximending, too.
The local designers' stuff looks like tacky ripoffs of Custo Barcelona and Voyage Passion.

fabrics

Reaction score
Taipei is a good place for bespoke suits in Asia.

http://www.nobility.com.tw/home.html is where I would visit if you were in Taiwan. It is in East District of Taipei, about 10min away from Taipei 101 Building and 3min away from Taipei's SOGO department store.

Cheers,

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Yeah I'll most likely be staying at Taipei. I actually really don't care about what brands they are but my taiwanese friends say the clothing there is "cute" but cheap, while Japan is...REALLY expensive
confused.gif

I'll try to find some good stuff but if there isn't much it's all the better since I should be saving money
laugh.gif

Japan isnt that expensive, sure I guess when compared to the US it might be but the quality tends to be pretty good

supermang

Reaction score
There's tons of good places to check out in Taiwan...seems like you guys have been going to the wrong places haha. There are Taiwan based labels out there but I haven't seen anything other than street/urban style. I'd check out Overkill, Riot Standard, Scenic, Summit, etc for street stuff. You can find a lot of good Japanese brands stocked in some stores in the backalleys of Ximending in Taipei or around the BWS Taipei. Depends on what you want though; I know Summit in Taipei carries Eternal and Faith carries a bunch of japanese repro denim.

One of the more interesting Taiwan based labels is Thurs:

http://www.thethurs.com/news/news.asp

I would check out their store in Taichung. They also stock Sugercane and Fullcount denim along with some other Japanese stuff and their own brand of course.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I can get Japanese repros anytime I want straight from Japan. I just wanted to know if Taiwan had any special strengths around clothing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads