• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evening Shirt/Accessory Questions

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I have been scouring these threads for months now, focusing on proper Black Tie attire. After exhausting the search function, I have finally decided to register and ask a few questions.

I am both graduating from medical school and getting married this May. Due to limited finances, I have decided to rent a dinner jacket. I know this may be appalling to many of you, but I have weighed every option and am set on this. The DJ will be a black SB, 1 button, peak lapel, and I will be wearing a white linen pocket square, black self-tie bow tie and cummerbund. My groomsmen will be wearing the same, with a waistcoat instead of a cummerbund, and a turndown collar with pleats.

My question is: Should I wear a wing-tip shirt to further differentiate myself from my groomsmen, or wear a turn-down collar?

I know that some may think that a wing-tip collar is too costumey, especially while renting a DJ, but I really wanted to stand out on this special day as I routinely wear suits and turndown collars. I have already sourced a bespoke bow-tie, and proper marcella evening shirt with stiff detachable collar. On the otherhand, I think that a nice turn-down shirt looks great and is more contemporary.

Other questions that depend on the shirt: What type of shirt studs? Onyx or MOP? I have found some vintage silver/MOP links/studs that are somewhat of a grey color. What about a concealed buttons with a turn-down collared shirt? What will give the best overall look whith what I have already chosen?

Sorry for the long rant, but I have been agonizing over these details for several months now.

Thank you in advance,

Doc Martin

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A detachable stiff collar would be lovely. It's really the tiny, flimsy attached wing collars that should be avoided.

Onyx and MOP are both fine. I would lean towards the former, and stay away from buttoned shirts.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First, congratulations!

Second, between a turn-down collar and a wing collar, I'd go wing, esp. if your groomsmen are wearing turn-down; I like the idea of the subtle differentiation. Besides, that way you get to show off your bespoke bowtie; don't hide that light under a bushel!

A detachable collar would be that much cooler, IMHO, if you have the proper shirt and a high-quality collar to go with. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Why not check EBay for a tux.

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/tuxe...Z1QQsacatZ3001

Trust me, I have been scouring ebay for several months... I just haven't found anything in the right size, quality, or price. A majority of the ebay variety are notch lapel rental cast-offs.

I did see a nice Zegna on Overstock, but again- wrong sizes.
frown.gif

Any other suggestions/opinions?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
Trust me, I have been scouring ebay for several months... I just haven't found anything in the right size, quality, or price. A majority of the ebay variety are notch lapel rental cast-offs.

I did see a nice Zegna on Overstock, but again- wrong sizes.
frown.gif

Any other suggestions/opinions?

I don't know if you will be set off sufficiently from your groomsmen - have you considered renting a tailcoat for the wedding? I don't know how feasible that is, but it would really look sharp IMO. Especially if you are informed enough to have gotten a detachable collar shirt, etc.

BTW: what is your size, so that the ebay/sale hounds might catch a deal?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's nothing wrong with renting the tux, but i'd recommend buying a shirt if you can-- the rental shirts are horrible, and most don't actually have french cuffs. if all else fails, grab one at brooks brothers for a reasonable price, just stay away from the "wing collar," the two small pointed collars that only really work when custom-made, or on the off-change a superb ready-to-wear house gets it right (like Borrelli, Finamore, etc.).

As for shoes, up to you if you wish to rent-- I bought a pair of Cheany formal shoes from plal.com myself, which were a great price.

congrats on your wedding!

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't know if you will be set off sufficiently from your groomsmen - have you considered renting a tailcoat for the wedding? I don't know how feasible that is, but it would really look sharp IMO. Especially if you are informed enough to have gotten a detachable collar shirt, etc.

BTW: what is your size, so that the ebay/sale hounds might catch a deal?

Thank you all for your advice so far.

As far as a tailcoat, I agree that it would look stunning- but maybe out of place. The wedding will take place in the evening, outdoors, at a victorian garden. I would like to keep with the black tie attire. I am hoping that that subtle differences between my groomsmen and myself will be noticable. Also, I want to be in costume, yet not too costume- most of the attention should be on my bride!
smile.gif

I do like tails though, and I would have done it if I weren't such a stickler for the rules. If I were going for a white tie wedding, there wouldn't be any discussion as the rules are far more set.

Any more ideas/suggestions/opinions about the shirt and accessories?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Technically, there is "official" precedent for wearing a tailcoat with a black tie, though I don't know what the rule is about only the groom being in a tailcoat while everyone else wears dinner jackets. It is of course up to you. Personally I don't think it would upstage anyone (I do understand that concern) and it shouldn't offend anyone (unless Manton is coming), but it would serve to set you off well.

I like the darker studs, but if you have some nice MOP/silver kit, that would work too. Go with the wing collar.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Points well taken J,

The other thing working against me is my height- 5'8". I think that this will only make me look shorter, especially when my groomsmen are all ~ 6'. The last factor is that my fiancee prefers the standard length coat.

You all have gotten me excited about the wing-tip collar though. Now the question is the height:

Short 1.5"
CO110l.jpg

Medium 2"
CO111l.jpg

Tall 2.5"
CO121l.jpg

And here is the shirt that they would attach to:

SH230l.jpg

Any ideas? The last one looks rediculously tall, but manton would probably disagree.
tounge.gif

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Damn J, now you have got me seriously considering the tailcoat!
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The collar will depend more on the length of your neck than anything IMO. Labelking will probably pounce within 15 minutes to tell you more about those. They all look great to me.

As for the tails, you may be right about the height thing, but you're definitely right about the bride thing.
smile.gif
If she really cares, don't bother - she has enough to stress about right now.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
You really have me thinking:

formal1003.gif

Only I'm about the height of the Great Dane.
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
You really have me thinking:

formal1003.gif

Only I'm about the height of the Great Dane.
laugh.gif

Bring a Chihuahua.
biggrin.gif

Doc Martin

Reaction score
LOL... I would be THE master, but unfortunately all my 6' groomsmen would throw off the scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads