• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evening Shirt/Accessory Questions

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, the highest wing collar will be the most elegant even though there are possible limitations due to the wearer's neck.

However, the wings on those collars don't look particularly stiff.

Also they used to have what was called an English wedding tie but that would have been for daytime weddings. An evening wedding would require white-tie, speaking formally.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in Label King, just as J predicted!
smile.gif

From my sternal notch to to adam's apple is 2.5", from notch to jaw line is 3.5". On the short side of average to say the least.

As with most bastardizations of tradition and American weddings, we chose to go with black-tie for our evening wedding. Yes, I would have preferred a white-tie affair, but our social circle would not permit.

So, as J suggested, would it be inappropriate for just the groom to be in white-tie?

Here are some other collars I've found:

High Wing: Front 3.5" Back 2"
largehighwing.jpg

Tux Collar: 1.5" all around
largetuxedo.jpg

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc Martin
You really have me thinking:
Go for it! I am considering buying a white tie myslef for a wedding (not mine) where the groom is going to wear one. If you are a bit on the short side, you will also probably not have my problem, i.e. wondering whether the waistcoat will show under the jacket (as is the case in the picture). That means I will probably have to get MTM.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As the groom, I think you are entitled to white tie even if everyone else is black-tie. I would not be the only white-tie _guest_ at a wedding where everyone else is black tie (you might upstage the wedding party), but you are one of the guests of honor, and you are entitled to live it up.

Call me chicken, but i prefer the lower wing collars. The really high ones just seem a bit OTT to me, esp. as your neck is not very long.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt, the tallest collar you can take. The pictured gent would look even better if his waistcoat didn't peek through below and the wing collar actually looked like one.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Thanks all again for the suggestions...

Now another question: How should I order the shirt and collar by size?

I have a 16" neck on normal dress shirts which fits quite comfortably. I have heard that it is usual to order the shirt with your normal collar size, and the collars 1/2" larger. Another source/wearer of stiff collared shirts says that he wears his shirts 1/2" smaller than his neck size, and the collars are his exact neck size?
confused.gif

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Thank you soooo much! So, how do they feel? Will I be able to waltz? Will my neck be chaffed for the consumation?
laugh.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It feels odd at first, but just stop thinking about it. You should probably also wear a stiff collar a couple times before the big day so you can get used to it. Of course, they are not very conducive to certain activities.
smile.gif

Also, the reason I size up is that I wear stiff collars higher and necks widen towards the head. I believe this is common practice - what was recommended to me, at least, by an elderly shirtmaker who should know. And he was right.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Whoopee, as my neck is 3.5" in front from sternal notch to jawline, which of the collars that I've posted would you recommend? And where do you source your collars? (You can PM me if necessary)
tounge.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably the medium wing, but I might also try the high wing in your second post.

My collars come from Luke Eyres. The Grafton Collar might work well for you, too. Note that there is a minimum order of six.

Doc Martin

Reaction score
Those are very nice collars, I've seen those as well.

So, as this seems to be a dialogue- what are your opinions on what I have planned?

Tails or DJ? Definitely wing-tip? MOP or onyx? Is the shirt I posted appropriate/look good?

Thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely a wing collar. For this, single link cuffs is a good idea. Tails/white tie would be a very nice look, but the dinner you have planned sounds excellent, too. Onyx, MOP, silver, etc. is really up to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics