• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Evening dress slippers from Shipton: Feedback request

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Ok i"m looking at dress slippers for black tie/white tie.

I found these shipton's:

http://www.shipton-usa.com/albert-bl...er-2961-0.html

They are what I want except they are suede. What do you think of them? Isn't suede normally a more casual leather?

They also have a patent leather version although I think the patent leather + bow is a bit much.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. Elements of style move at a slow pace but these kind of shoes have had their day. IMO they are akin to house slippers in the same way that a velvet smoking jacket is akin to a dressing gown. They go together and harken back to a time when people hosted black tie dinner parties in their homes and so the slippers and dressing gown bridged the gap between dressed up black tie and dressed down house attire.

Pumps with bows are thus a thing of the past. For black tie, either get patent leather or high shine leather oxfords. That way you are complying with tradition without looking like an out of date fop.

loiclac

Reaction score
I am waiting for mine in patent from the website.

things of past maybe but ralph lauren featured one pair on the runaway or so. there was some purple label like that as well.

My friends look at patent shoes as too much already.

Kenneth Cole Haan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Don't do it. Elements of style move at a slow pace but these kind of shoes have had their day. IMO they are akin to house slippers in the same way that a velvet smoking jacket is akin to a dressing gown. They go together and harken back to a time when people hosted black tie dinner parties in their homes and so the slippers and dressing gown bridged the gap between dressed up black tie and dressed down house attire.

Pumps with bows are thus a thing of the past. For black tie, either get patent leather or high shine leather oxfords. That way you are complying with tradition without looking like an out of date fop.

You make a strong argument; although I have been reading the existing threads on this subject and the forum seems to be substantially in favor of continuing the Opera pumps.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
I absolutely love them. Go for it. If you're a chap who's overly concerned about what people think then I actually believe pulling off suede is easier than a shiny patent one.

And for the record, I try very hard to look like an outdated fop.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I look at it this way: if you're undecided, then if you tend to prefer loafers, go with the pump. If you tend to prefer oxfords, go with the oxford.

The patent leather pump is not going to be considered too much, it's really the intended shoe for those outfits. A suede pump could be an interesting change of pace, and I would put it above the formal slipper in formality, though nobody cares much about those distinctions these days. Hell, I don't. I only really think about them as a historical curiosity.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.