• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Evening Dress Questions

Kida

Reaction score
Hi Styleforum,

This is my first post and I have a few questions about what to wear out at night. I hope you can clarify for me.

I'm attending a party at a nicer restaurant with my wife and her employer. I'm wondering if chinos with a tie and jacket are acceptable in the evening or if the chinos are more for day? Should I go with gray pants instead? I live in FL. where its both hot and for the most part, if you wear anything that extends below your knees is "dressed up" even at a lot of the nicer spots. I could go with jeans but its just too hot already and plus I'd like to look nicer anyway.

Second question has to do with shoes ... is brown ever acceptable after sun-down or always black?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chinos would be fine IMO but I would do linen or light wool in gray. Are you wearing a sport coat or blazer? I'm not a fan of a tie without a jacket of some sort. Just my .02

Brown shoes should be fine
smile.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was going to be a question about white tie attire!

I would second the foregoing opinion to eschew wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket. I know a lot of young guys do it, but it still looks like something the assistant produce manager at local supermarket would wear--inelegant!

A navy blazer with nice, clean, crisply ironed chinos--the classic "California tux"--is never a bad look although perhaps over-popular.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are they taking you? You can always call the reservation desk at the restaurant and get an idea of how men dress there. If it is ultra formal, you might want a real suit. If it is hip and trendy, you might want to lose the tie...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the others said, make sure to wear a coat with the tie, otherwise you look like a bank teller.

Otherwise, that's fine, assuming others will be wearing a similar level of dress.

JGloger

Reaction score
Chinos and brown shoes are both perfectly acceptable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads