• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eurotrip, Part Deux

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
Go to Brugge instead of Brussels. It's between Paris and Amsterdam, not out of the way like some of the other cities people are recommending. You are visiting two major cities. Brugge would be a nice change of pace, again unlike some of the other cities recommended. Plus, the few benefits you would get from Brusseles (beer, charming old buildings, etc.) you will still get in Brugge.
Brugges is a nice play to visit for a day (+night). Aesthetically, it's a very old world European look, quite different from modern cities like Brussels (outside of the historic city center). It's a small place and there really isn't all that much to do there. You can cover most of it during the daytime. There are several very nice, quaint little restaurants that open at 6 or 7pm that offer prix-fix menus for not all that much money (~30 euros). If you're using the train system, you'll need to stay over night if you want to do the long dinner menus, as they stop running ridiculously early (10 or 1030 pm if I remember correctly). Personally, I wouldn't stay for more than 1 day/night.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
But seriously.... Brussels over Berlin?
facepalm.gif

I'm certainly not a great Germanophile but Berlin has 100x more to offer than Brussels.

Brussels over Paris, any day

never been to Berlin...

Paris - Brasserie Lipp, Man Ray, Buddha Bar, makes two nights out. done

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fritzl
Brussels over Paris, any day

never been to Berlin...

Paris - Brasserie Lipp, Man Ray, Buddha Bar, makes two nights out. done

I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic
confused.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Would Brussels be on a list of top 20 European cities you would recommend to a complete newbie?

+100

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
So...where should I go? Quick look at the map tells me Paris, Milan, and Munich are the closest nearby large cities to Geneva. This is my first time to Europe, if that makes a difference. I would ideally like to check out two cities, and would ideally like to travel by train/bus/car. Thanks for any advice or recs.

Geneva is a wonderful place itself.

Munich - Strassbourg - Brussels - Paris

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I can't tell if you're serious or sarcastic
confused.gif

certainly serious.

i'm only sarcastic in my mother tongue.

my "snark and wit" got lost in translation too often here.

in regards the op is a newbie for europe his budget can be "ripped" in Paris easily. much harder in Brussels.

so to say. Paris is much more for the advanced Europe connaisseur.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
Actually I don't think Paris and Rome is impossible, I went to Rome then took the overnight rail from Florence to Paris.

I don't think it is either. I just think it's impractical for someone only spending nine days who wants to visit only two cities and only travel by train, bus, and car. He'll spend a significant portion of his trip in transit to Paris, between Paris and Rome, and then back to Geneva, assuming that is where he departs from.

There are, of course, plenty of cheap airlines, like Ryanair, that can get you a one way ticket from Paris to Rome for about 20 euros. Cheaper than a train. You'll spend more money just getting to and from the airports.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Paris - La Coupole, Man Ray, Buddha Bar, makes two nights out. done

ooops, "La Coupole" not Brasserie Lipp

@feynmix
Lipp in Geneva is great.

Siggy

Reaction score
Paris, of course, is awesome. Never yet been to Brussels, but have heard from others that it is a shithole outside of the main square downtown. Bruges is quite charming but really overcrowded with groups of tourists in the summer. Amsterdam is "interesting", a nice city overall but with too many doped-up freaks in some areas.

Smahatma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Bruges is quite charming but really overcrowded with groups of tourists in the summer.
It has a very gimmicky tourist trap feeling, like the Belgian equivalent of NYC's Times Square.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Brussels would be in my top 2 if you were recommending a city to someone who is spending 10 days in Europe and intends to spend 5 of those days in Paris and 3 in Amsterdam. That leaves a day or two in between. The recommendations of Berlin, Spain, and the south of France are ridiculous. Yes, I've flown those discount Euro airlines. I know how easy it is to get around, but it doesn't make sense for someone with his itinerary.

Go to Paris and Amsterdam and stop over at some city in the middle. You've got Brugge, Brussels, and a few cities in Holland.

Bingo. I bet if I were spending 9-10 days in Europe and doing Paris, Rome and Barcelona, you'd all be haranguing me for rushing it.

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Update: All you Belgium-haters can take some pleasure in the fact my friend flaked out on me.

I'm now considering a trip to Italy or Spain for 10 days with another friend, or a week in Istanbul.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
You've got to be kidding. Berlin is a post-communist concrete hellhole. Brussels' old city centre is nothing short of beautiful.

Honestly, I think people must just hate Belgians the way they rag on Brussels.

You are thinking of the former east berlin which is actually now kinda hip. The k-damm is anything but a post commie hellhole. The Pergamum museum is my favorite along with the british museum. It seems the Germans and the Brits divided the ancient world between them. Berlin is also supposed to have a very good avant garde art scene. I also find it a quite affordable European city.

Originally Posted by leftover_salmon
Given time constraints, I think flying to Madrid and Barcelona and spending 1-2 days there is a waste.

Barcelona is one of my favorite european cities after Paris. I haven't been to madrid or Rome.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of creating a new thread, I am just going to continue on this one. Geneva trip is confirmed for next week, so it looks like I have 8.5 days to travel around Europe and get back into Geneva before flying back to NY.

So..my co-worker pretty much derided me that I wasn't initially considering Paris as a place to visit. She is going to try and hook me up with an empty apartment for me and a friend to stay while in Paris, which would be awesome. How many days is "ok" for Paris? I realize its a huge city and I can spend a long time there, but I was thinking 3 days in Paris to get to see enough of the city?

From Paris, I have two options: Either I head south to Barcelona or head east over to Prague. Since Paris will be expensive, I'd like to keep the other cities to be more moderate. How is Prague price-wise?

Also, I am traveling with another friend of mine so we will be doing a lot of the touristy checking out things during the daytime, but we definitely want to check out the nightlife wherever we go. So, once I take the train ride from Geneva to Paris and check it out for 3 days, what are best options?

A lot of good options. Basically, if you stay south of Berlin, east of Paris, west of Budapest, and north of Rome, then I think that's reasonable distance to get to from Geneva. I'd just pick one direction N, S, E, or W of Geneva and stick to that general vicinity.

Originally Posted by Valor
Prague is really good and so was Vienna. Actually I don't think Paris and Rome is impossible, I went to Rome then took the overnight rail from Florence to Paris.

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I didn't realize just HOW cheap flights in Europe can be, so I just ruled them out. I'd still like to do most of the traveling by trains or buses and avoid flights if I can.

ooops, "La Coupole" not Brasserie Lipp

@feynmix
Lipp in Geneva is great.

What is Lipp?

Also, I'd love to meet any other SF'ers in the area. If you are up for a drink, shoot me a PM!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
What is Lipp?

Also, I'd love to meet any other SF'ers in the area. If you are up for a drink, shoot me a PM!

Brasserie Lipp: http://www.brasserie-lipp.com/

not a cheap place, but i was on diplomatic expenses, so to say
laugh.gif

unfortunately, i'm not there. fellow member ajl(adrian) is a resident. he's a great guy. contact him.

Prague is the Paris of the East, so i would tend to go to Barcelona. Not been there yet, but everybody who's been there was excited.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads