• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European Vs USA

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
Hi,

1st contribution by way of a start thread... So be gentle...

I have a question... perhaps directed at the US audience on here....

In Europe (largely) the is a much larger preference for a more tailored look, a slimmer cut jacket and trouser. The 'coat' is much more pulled in to emphasis a close fitting look where as our American cousins ( I know a generalisation but none the less..) tend to opt much more for Box type suits. That are typically much larger along the shoulder and have a more square cut to them..

Now we each have our preferences but why would you for example say have a suit made for you in the US style which is much more an OTR look IMHO....

Just merely a musing of mine.. as most of the travelling tailors (no doubt because the large chunk of their business is US based give you this larger squarer cut even in Europe??

So in short why the preference for the US suit? is it purely comfort?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Most people on this forum prefer a fitted look. American brands such as Ralph Lauren do it well. But you are right, generally speaking, American suits are boxy. This is most likely because many American consumers are fat and suits are produced to be sold to the most people possible. After all, if you need it taken in, you can always take it to a tailor.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Habit. Speaking of the general public anyway.

Most Americans just buy off the rack with not that much sense of style. We've been buying boxy suits for ages in part because folks don't know any better.

And in this day and age, with so many Americans being overweight, the trim fit doesn't flatter many.

Historically- there is some sense that the American fit you describe might be considered "more masculine" as well.

Just IMO.

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
I agree that its a habit.. An incredible amount of people in the UK wear awful suits... but looking on the askandyaboutclothes forum as well, for someone so well versed in 'fashion' I am amazed that despite the no doubt endless amounts of free tailoring he must receive for plugging the likes of Gino and Henry tailor that he atleast must a) know about suits b) have access to makers that can give him a better fit....
I had a suit by the guys at Gino for example as more of an experiment when I was in Thailand (not commenting on quality but purely fit) but the suit came back fitting in the a loose sense but was cut like a US box suit, lots of straight lines and big panels...
So the example, sorry to pick on ANDY is either his personal preference i guess or like me buying from these guys gives you the bag/box suit...
or was i just unlucky with this suit perhaps....?
Having worn a suit for 6 days a week since I was six I have pretty fierce views on what I like suits to look like but always been 'vexed' by our chums over the pond...and finding this site has perhaps helped me in my quest ...
thumbs-up.gif

BostonRussell

Reaction score
While I'm pretty sure that anyone that is fashion conscious in the states prefers a fitted suit the average consumer goes for boxy for a couple of reasons.

1. Comfort. Given thier disinclination (word?) for fashion many American men view putting on a suit as a burden that should be minimized, hence loose suits.

2. Our suit salesmen, wanting customers to be comfortable, do nothing to mitigate the issue. At the average Macy's I have to argue with my suit salesman because he keeps trying to sell me a size up.

4. The broader, boxier suit is considered masculine (in many circles concerning oneself with one's clothing is feminine behavior).

5. The precedent got set a long time ago. Going against the norm is great in fashion but not always the most beneficial in the corporate world i.e. a slimmer suit is considered less "professional" to some.

All things considered I love my countrymen's ignorance. you can't imagine how easy it is to be the best dressed man on the street in Orlando, FL
revolve.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell
While I'm pretty sure that anyone that is fashion conscious in the states prefers a fitted suit the average consumer goes for boxy for a couple of reasons.

1. Comfort. Given thier disinclination (word?) for fashion many American men view putting on a suit as a burden that should be minimized, hence loose suits.

2. Our suit salesmen, wanting customers to be comfortable, do nothing to mitigate the issue. At the average Macy's I have to argue with my suit salesman because he keeps trying to sell me a size up.

4. The broader, boxier suit is considered masculine (in many circles concerning oneself with one's clothing is feminine behavior).

5. The precedent got set a long time ago. Going against the norm is great in fashion but not always the most beneficial in the corporate world i.e. a slimmer suit is considered less "professional" to some.

All things considered I love my countrymen's ignorance. you can't imagine how easy it is to be the best dressed man on the street in Orlando, FL
revolve.gif

Well, don't keep us in suspense. What's reason 3?

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BostonRussell

revolve.gif

Good answer.......

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The same reason Americans prefer XL swim-trunks to Speedos. It's provincial Puritanism.

Mark Bannerman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Well, don't keep us in suspense. What's reason 3?

yes number 3 better be good ....keeping us waiting for it is just mean!!!

Siggy

Reaction score
Most suits made for the American market are made for the least-common-denominator, meaning cut big and boxy to fit the most men who are generally overweight and have no idea how a suit should fit anyway.

Comfort is false, since a well fitting suit will be more comfortable than one that is too big.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most American men don't bother to learn crap about clothing. They go by what they see a majority of those peers around them doing, then act in a likewise manner.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Siggy
Most suits made for the American market are made for the least-common-denominator, meaning cut big and boxy to fit the most men who are generally overweight and have no idea how a suit should fit anyway.

Comfort is false, since a well fitting suit will be more comfortable than one that is too big.

I agree.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of when my friends and I would look through GQ and compare the American labels with the European ones. There's always a gap between the arms and the body on European ads that's absent from most American label ads. If I'm feeling ambitious when I get home I'll post an example.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American suits were cut fuller long before -- decades now -- the present trend of expanding waistlines (which, by the way, is no less prevalent in Europe than the U.S.) so I don't think that particular argument is very valid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads