• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

European Travel: Spain & Paris

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are attempting to plan a trip to Europe in early June. We were originally going to do a Royal Caribbean cruise, but the time and travel schedule are a bit too hectic for the vacation that we envisioned. We would like to travel to Spain foremost and then add a day or two in Paris. As far as Spain, Barcelona and/or Madrid are top priorities. Previous trips and recommended websites would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, our rough budget is around 1.5-2k for flight and lodging for 7-days/nights (per person). We would be leaving from NYC.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spain is probably my favorite country and Paris is my favorite city. Have fun. As for plane tickets, I flew out of DC and a R/T ticket cost me a little under 1K to Madrid. I think it is cheaper to fly into Barcelona or even Paris.

I missed out on Barcelona, but went to some pretty awesome cities in Spain that is worth checking out. Toledo is somewhat overrated, even though it is close to Madrid. I highly recommend San Sebastian, Valencia, Seville, and Granada.

I didn't really stay in any spectacular hotels (I was a student), but my GF and I did splurge on a 2 night stay in a parador (sp?) in Granada in the Alhambra, which was about 250 euros/night for a standard room. It was pretty badass, but looking back, we could've spent that money elsewhere. BTW, the Alhambra is ridiculous, even moreso if you wake up and go right when it opens up at 7-8AM. I feel as though if you go to Spain you have to see it. It is like going to France and not seeing the Eiffel Tower.

Anyway, I'm not sure any of this helped you but I just wanted to say have fun!

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
If you have a .edu email address, check out Lufthansa. ~$150 to Barcelona, one way, for students, and they might have some form of discounts for other education folks, should that apply.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After many years since my last visit, and a recent viewing of Vicky Cristine Barcelona, I booked an August flight to Barcelona. Looks amazing. Otherwise I'd rec. Seville for a day or two if poss. Probably not so far if connected by the high speed train system. Paris anytime. Have fun.!

Star

Reaction score
You can do Toledo in half a day.

I would suggest if possible to get a car and start driving south of Madrid for a couple days. I drove South into Andalusia (southen most part of spain) so I am biased towards the following

Places South worth seeing:

Jerez De frontera - If you want the full Flamenco experience this is the place. Also wonderful Tapas and home to the Tio Pepe sherry. The place comes alive at night. If you are lucky enough to be there during a religous festival even better as they put on quite a show.

Alhambra - For the Moorish Architecture and influence

Cadiz - Historic city with Sun and Beach

Tarifa - Southern most city/town in spain. Can see Africa supposedly on a clear day. Also known as the Windy City as it attracts enthusiasts of wind sports. Great coastline. Some of it is untounched by the type of development you see along Costa Del Sol.

The Rock/ Gibraltar - This is technically part of the UK however also worth visting quite simply for the Rock and if you want to hang out at an English Pub and enjoy your fish and chips. I managed to thwart a terrorist attack when I was there however that's another story.

Barcelona - This sure aint Southern Spain but definately worth visiting. The catalans seems a little different to the rest of Spain. The city is a little grotty and considered one of the more dangerous cities in Europe (so switch your brain on while there) however well worth the visit. I didn't mind one of the beaches, the Santa Eulalia Cathedral, and the La Ramblas (main tourist strip where you should switch your brain on at all times)

Would love to return again oneday.

Good luck with it.

Also, make sure you find a decent Tapas bar.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
get Etienne to take you out in Paris. Make him pay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads