1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

European sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JuniorJetSet, Aug 31, 2004.

1. JuniorJetSet

JuniorJetSet Well-Known Member

There is a Dolce & Gabbana turtleneck sweater on Overstock I'd like to order but have no clue as to what size I would need (despite reading the sizing tutorial).
    I am 6'5", about 160 lbs. and usually take a XXL in casual shirts, which I think corresponds to a size 46 or 48 Italian. Is this correct? I figured I'd ask for help here before I went to a local store to try one on. thank you.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I think you could definitely wear a XXL but it sounds like it would be quite baggy on your frame? Is a large or extra-large sweater going to be too short for you?

3. JuniorJetSet

Yes. I absolutely cannot wear an XL in most brands, even in tall.

4. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

I think that on overstock they list the chest size (in inches) as well as the European size.

An XXL is a 46" or 48" chest which is a 58-60 in Eur sizing.

You must have a very long torso, I am 6'3 and I have yet to find a large that didn't fit me. Or maybe I have a very short torso?

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

160 lbs is way too thin to wear a xxl. It will look like you're wearing your bedsheets on your shoulders.

6. JuniorJetSet

Wow, if that's the case, my chest size is about 34-36. According to Overstock's sizing chart, I would be a Small.

7. JuniorJetSet

LOL. Well, I always take an XXL in American clothes, anything smaller would be too small in the body and sleaves. I still have a hard time beleiving I'm a size Small in Italy.

8. Oltmann

Oltmann Senior member

A 34-36" chest IS considered a small in American sizing. Click here for a chart the verifies it. What you really need is a size Small-Tall. Unfortunately, they don't exist. Tall sizes usually start at Large, which specifies a 42" chest. There are three possible solutions: 1. Continue buying clothing that is made for someone with a chest that is 25% larger than yours (but it fits your sleeves/length.) An Italian 56 should do for this. 2. Tailored clothing. I don't know who does tailored sweaters, maybe you could ask your grandma. 3. (You knew this was coming) Eat and lift weights.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Dior Homme seems an ideal brand for a body shapes as yours.