1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

European Must-Sees.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by nairb49, Apr 20, 2006.

1. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

Planned an 18 day trip to do a quick tour of Western Europe.

Barcelona, Milan, London, Dublin, Paris

I've backpacked for a couple months before through Barcelona, London and Paris so I've seen quite a bit of those places, but this time is quick, about 4 days in each stop. So, although I've checked frommers etc etc, I'm looking for suggestions from forum members for things to check out.

Obviously in 4 days I won't check them all out, but if a few things keep recurring, I'll make some time for them. Especially Milan and Dublin since I've no idea outside of travel guide suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

2. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Barcelona--the womenfolk
    Milan--the womenfolk
    Dublin--Guinness (for strength), and the womenfolk
    Paris--ernest.

Edit: London--shoes

3. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Dublin - Guinness (for strength, of course), but also for the factory - you'll get a free pint at a glass enclosed bar with a great view of the city. Dublin has a tour bus that runs around the city and hits the major tourist sites. You buy a ticket for the day and can jump on and off the bus at your leisure (they run every 10 or 20 minutes or so, if memory serves).

London - a lot of the touristy stuff is pretty fun if you're a first time visitor, particularly if you like history - Westminster Abbey, the Tower of London, the National Portrait Gallery, and St. Paul's Cathedral were all favorites of mine - and, of course, the shopping is great - personally, I'd skip the changing of the guard

4. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Barcelona--the womenfolk
    Milan--the womenfolk
    Dublin--Guinness (for strength), and the womenfolk
    Paris--ernest.

Edit: London--shoes

LOL. Poor Paris and London.

5. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Barcelona--the womenfolk Milan--the womenfolk Dublin--Guinness (for strength), and the womenfolk Paris--ernest. Edit: London--shoes
    Barcelona--the womenfolk, more so other tourists than locals Milan--the womenfolk and the shopping. The supposedly world's first shopping mall, the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele Dublin--Guinness (for strength), no womenfolk worth the effort, I've heard Paris--ernest, museums, just walking around and shopping London--all of the above Galleria VE: http://www.milanostyle.com/01/cityin...manuele_01.htm

6. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

The Abbey is an absolute must see, particularly if you're from an Anglophone country or at all interested in English history.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Milan: Lake Como - four days in Milan in the summer is way too much.

Dublin: if you have the time, go down to Glendalough and go hiking for a day. Stay in one of the hostels. A really fantastically beautiful place, and only like 3 hrs from Dublin.

8. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

hahahah
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly keep and eye out for the womenfolk.

Excuse my ignorance, but when you refer to "ernest" in Paris, what is that?

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

hahahah
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly keep and eye out for the womenfolk.

Excuse my ignorance, but when you refer to "ernest" in Paris, what is that?

A chronic member/troll on this forum, something of a legend in his own time.

10. Matt

Matt Senior member

what are your Paris dates? I'll be there May 27 for 3 days, meeting a couple of forumites. That coincide with your timing?

11. nairb49

nairb49 Senior member

Oh darn, I leave Paris May 23 to fly home.

That would have been neat!

12. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

It's been some time ago, but a little island called Skyros in Greece. Out of the way, but memorable for me.
    I've always been curious about Sicily. If you make it as far as Greece, take one more small flight into Istanbul.

13. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

A chronic member/troll on this forum, something of a legend in his own time.

From what I understand, he's always glad to give a tour...